Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Future support for TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I think that the concern is that whether Kickstarter will be the primary support outlet for TFT, given the time delay between funding and delivery. I hope that support materializes outside of Kickstarters. I'd be shocked if Kickstarters were the primary support mechanism. I think that Steve is a capable businessman and am confident he'll do it right.

So perhaps the original poster read the response overly pessimistically.
Well we know its not going to bekickstarter only, just by the liscence agreement. Also I doubt they need a line editor if they just have 2 kickstarters planned. We can also look at the Ogre and DFRPG kickstarters for inference and see in house stuff being done.
How much will of course depend on demand and submissions, the new editors main contribution will be pushing the bottleneck from editorial resources to art and production ones.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, the reason I pushed back is that comments like that are potential negative feedback loops. I want this to succeed, even if it will not replace GURPS as my favorite system.
Comments such that SJG is not committed so I will wait and see what happens can spread negative energy and make success less likely,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
...I want this to succeed, even if it will not replace GURPS as my favorite system.
Comments such that SJG is not committed so I will wait and see what happens can spread negative energy and make success less likely,
Oh I agree. And based on the lavish treatment of the new Ogre - and ridiculously affordable Ogre miniatures, WOOT! - I'm not too worried.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
DarkPumpkin

At the risk of fanboyism, I'll just say that I have of confidence that SJG has A) genuine love for TFT, B) good business sense, and C) tend to make good aesthetic and game design choices. I think future support will be excellent, limited only by a potential lack of market size.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well we know its not going to bekickstarter only, just by the liscence agreement. Also I doubt they need a line editor if they just have 2 kickstarters planned. We can also look at the Ogre and DFRPG kickstarters for inference and see in house stuff being done.
How much will of course depend on demand and submissions, the new editors main contribution will be pushing the bottleneck from editorial resources to art and production ones.
I share DarkPumpkin's enthusiasm and think it will turn out well. However...

I think GURPS suffers from poor editing or management oversight or something. Take a look at all the conflicting ways skills and rules have evolved in the splatbooks. I'm assuming this isn't on purpose, but maybe SJG is erring on the side of free flow creativity rather than consistency. Perhaps this "flaw" is the reason for GURPS success. Maybe lots of splatbooks is more important than consistency.

While I think the TFT license agreement scheduled for 2019 will result in a ton of material, I hope there is some editing process that keeps a rein on it.

The GURPS splatbooks are published by SJG and go through some level of editing because they are getting published as glossy products. I worry that when TFT stuff gets put out on a website in PDF form the possibility for rules conflict increases significantly.

How that eventually affects the success of the game and the perceived level of support I have no idea.

Last edited by Tenex; 08-21-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
I worry that when TFT stuff gets put out on a website in PDF form the possibility for rules conflict increases significantly.
New game rules are not a part of the planned license. We do not plan to allow anyone to create new rules; new adventures, spells, monsters, treasure all cool.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
New game rules are not a part of the planned license. We do not plan to allow anyone to create new rules; new adventures, spells, monsters, treasure all cool.
Awesome. Good move.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #17
Shadekeep

Quote:
Very good, as it should be.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
zot

Quote:
So I won't be able to publish my Theurgy Toolkit under the planned license?
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
So I won't be able to publish my Theurgy Toolkit under the planned license?
My guess is that you'd have to submit that to SJGames and if they like it they'll publish it.

Or maybe give you specific permission to publish it under the license?

I can see the sense in them wanting to keep the base rules pure whilst allowing new third party adventures etc.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 08-21-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I can see the sense in them wanting to keep the base rules pure whilst allowing new third party adventures etc.
We want to avoid rules bloat and over-complication.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote