Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2007, 02:35 AM   #31
Icelander

Default Re: What Space Atlases would you like to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
Neither did I, it seems. My prospects of getting a Space Atlas published are remote.
But Locations, on the other hand, might be the right place to apply to for a single planet write-up.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
It turns out that Terra Incognita is the place to start. Which means a 5,000-word limit.
Which is okay for a first attempt, right? Wouldn't want to waste too much time on a submission before you have any idea that it'll be accepted.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 AM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
The feeling is evidently shared by the e23 editorial staff.Don't mind me. I'm just a bit miffed at having been taken in by the practical joke
Well, if SJ had such an enormous staff...
Not minding one bit. ;) Well, I do worry a bit about what financial distress you're having, but I figure you'll share if and when you want.
...eh, I'll not finish that sentence, thanks. ;)

Quote:
Terra Incognita is a line of articles for Pyramid. Instead of wasting time on a proposal you get to waste time writing, polishing, proofreading, and correcting an entire article and its accompanying graphics before knowing whether it'll be accepted.
Getting a few Pyramid articles published might be a good way to improve odds of e23 products being accepted.

Plus, it makes Pyramid more fun to read, which is a plus. ;)

If you ask me, I think you should be doing regular Pyramid articles and SJ Games products. But then, if anyone asked me, the next Forgotten Realms product released would be Forgotten Realms: Trade, Coin and Costers.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #34
Icelander

Quote:
You never know, it could be the start of a very silly limerick.
Exactamundo. The last silly limerick I posted on these boards got a thread locked.

And it very carefully refrained from using any words at all that could lead to such a conclusion. Apparently, if a double entente is strong enough, it's no longer considered double anything.

Quote:
The problem is that I don't have much to say that meets Pyramid guidelines. And the only thing on teh e23 wish list that I could do would be space atlases.
I've read enough Pyramid articles that didn't say much of anything that I think anyone could write several.

Heck, I was even considering writing one and asking for your help, since it has a bit of an economics theme.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #35
Icelander

Quote:
Well, passing over a quick de gustibus non disputandem est, I'll say that I don't want to write an article for Pyramid that says nothing worth saying. Why would I? Certainly not for the money.
You do it as practise, I guess. And to pass the arbitrary hurdle you find yourself faced with.

If you have to write A in order to be able to submit B, I think there's nothing wrong with doing a quick and easy A.

But that being said, I think you could write a lot of Pyramid articles that are worthwhile.

Ideas could be:

An alternative Wealth system for GURPS in modern, realistic settings. Wealth systems are somewhat inherently tied to setting assumptions and one that's designed for all possible settings will probably be suboptimal for modelling a specific one. You plainly dislike the one that is in place and if you could come up with a simple system that did a better job in its stead, that could help other people who do.

A Rogues' Gallery (or whatever they call their NPC articles) of people suitable for an SF campaign. It's astonishingly easy to file serial numbers of characters used in specific settings and Flat Black characters could easily fit into a wide range of SF settings, especially with a few lense notes attached.

Adventures. Any GM can write one and good GMs can write good ones. While the idiosyncracies of settings may influence adventures, it's possible to design adventures with notes so that it's possible to drop them into many kinds of worlds.

A GM's primer on how to write and run mystery adventures. Something tells me that running the same mystery so many times has taught you quite a bit about what works and what doesn't.

And that's just what came first to mind. Thumbing through the archives should give one many ideas.

Quote:
A PM or e-mail might be more appropriate.
I will, as soon as I decide to start it. Since I actually did a lot of work this weekend, I might have the next weekend off and who knows?

Tags
space, space atlas