Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
DevoutGuardsman

Default Re: Aura made of Objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm trying to figure out the "destroy the sword" mechanic. On the one hand, it feels like a gadget limitation, but on the other, its gone very temporarily.
It seems reasonable, since normal Auras aren't destructible at all, and can just be switched on or off at will. The sword barrier costs FP to switch on, lasts 30 seconds, and its damage dealing components can be really easily destroyed by anyone aiming at them or just when they parry virtually any common weapon.
DevoutGuardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #12
lwcamp

Buy the swords as a summonable ally group (appears all the time, minions, etcetera). Have them make parries for you.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoutGuardsman View Post
It seems reasonable, since normal Auras aren't destructible at all, and can just be switched on or off at will. The sword barrier costs FP to switch on, lasts 30 seconds, and its damage dealing components can be really easily destroyed by anyone aiming at them or just when they parry virtually any common weapon.
Well, normally taking down a gadget destroys it for good, or at least until you have enough downtime to repair or replace it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #14
DevoutGuardsman

Quote:
Well, normally taking down a gadget destroys it for good, or at least until you have enough downtime to repair or replace it.
That's true, though I'm not sure how else to model the destructible aspect.

As for limiting the number of swords, I'm contemplating using the Limited Use function with a 'fake' RoF, much like you'd build a gun as an innate attack.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoutGuardsman View Post
That's true, though I'm not sure how else to model the destructible aspect.

As for limiting the number of swords, I'm contemplating using the Limited Use function with a 'fake' RoF, much like you'd build a gun as an innate attack.
I'd probably use half of the normal gadget limitation. I'd also consider the number of swords to be a "feature", at least for low numbers of sword. calculate the gadget's HP as the total of all the swords.

At any rate, its a limitation in value between the full gadget cost and +0%.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
DevoutGuardsman

Quote:
I'd probably use half of the normal gadget limitation. I'd also consider the number of swords to be a "feature", at least for low numbers of sword. calculate the gadget's HP as the total of all the swords.

At any rate, its a limitation in value between the full gadget cost and +0%.
I could use a modified RoF enhancement for counting the number of swords (currently, it's tied to a Wall ability which defines the number of swords as 1 per 2d), though halving the gadget Limitation sounds good!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What about cutting Strikers with Costs FP, Link, Switchable, Force Projection and Independence?

Also if they have HP and can be destroyed, how long does that last? If you can just summon them again, this isn't probably much more than a special effect (especially given how hard it usually is to destroy a weapon in GURPS).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-23-2018 at 12:55 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #18
DevoutGuardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What about cutting Strikers with Costs FP, Link, Switchable, Force Projection and Independence?

Also if they have HP and can be destroyed, how long does that last? If you can just summon them again, this isn't probably much more than a special effect (especially given how hard it usually is to destroy a weapon in GURPS).
I've thought about Strikers, but they lack the autonomous function of an Aura, which makes them less desirable. I could grab Extra Attack, but that's expensive.

The blades are destroyed until the ability is recast with a specified number of swords, between 1 and 3. If all 3 have been destroyed, it takes 3 FP to remake them. They're very fragile, much more so than a typical broadsword, since 1 HP isn't all that much and since they will automatically parry strikes against the user anyway, their 1 lb weight makes them very vulnerable to being shattered on a parry.

I quickly playtested the prototype, and it was surprisingly low-damage. Against the typical targets it'll be used against, it wasn't doing much more than 1 HP damage a turn, and only ended up being useful for all of 5 rounds before all the swords had been broken. Against much harder targets, the passive sword cloud was virtually useless, with the auxiliary Alternate Abilities that used the sword conjured by the Aura as ammo doing the majority of the damage.

Tags
aura with area effect