Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
Klark

Default [MA] [TG] Entangling Weapons and Takedowns

I was searching the forums and I couldn't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been covered before.

Does Force Posture Change count as "default[ing] to ST"? Technically it doesn't, as the defaults only lists DX and unarmed grappling skills; at the same time, effectively it does because the quick contest uses the higher of Trained ST or Force Posture Change technique.

If it doesn't, this means entangling weapons cannot trip or take down opponents in any way besides crippling their leg with a Wrench Limb attack or entangling both legs like a bolas to remove their stability; you can't just yank it out from under them. Is this realistic? I admit all I have to go off of is action movies, but I assumed a sharp yank after you've gotten ahold of someone's leg to jerk someone off balance/tip them over was reasonably realistic.
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [MA] [TG] Entangling Weapons and Takedowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klark View Post
I was searching the forums and I couldn't find an answer to this. Sorry if it's been covered before.

Does Force Posture Change count as "default[ing] to ST"? Technically it doesn't, as the defaults only lists DX and unarmed grappling skills; at the same time, effectively it does because the quick contest uses the higher of Trained ST or Force Posture Change technique.

If it doesn't, this means entangling weapons cannot trip or take down opponents in any way besides crippling their leg with a Wrench Limb attack or entangling both legs like a bolas to remove their stability; you can't just yank it out from under them. Is this realistic? I admit all I have to go off of is action movies, but I assumed a sharp yank after you've gotten ahold of someone's leg to jerk someone off balance/tip them over was reasonably realistic.
Force Posture Change is a generic version of Takedown. I'll have to reread why I took away a pure ST default, but the QC is based on ST. There was a reason for it, but I will need to find my rationale again.

You can definitely do one by yanking on an entangled guy, but I will need to look at the details on why no ST defaults.

Found it: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...11&postcount=1 keep reading to the 3rd or 5th post and it's there.

Basically, "default to DX only" is to prevent people from buying it up from ST as a technique. But you can always just roll flat Trained ST to do this. The wording could be more clear, since I used a technical term (defaults to) with less precision than I could have.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 11-04-2015 at 07:20 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Klark

Default Re: [MA] [TG] Entangling Weapons and Takedowns

Awesome, thank you for the fast reply! And yeah, I figured it had something to do with avoiding ST+Technique Mastery abuse.
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entangling, grappling, martial arts, takedown, technical grappling