Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
JMD

Default Adjusting Armor for different SM

A player recently found SM+0 armor, but he himself is SM-1. He is looking into getting this armor refitted for himself, but neither of us can seem to find any rules on time or cost to resize.

Anyone have any insight on this?
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Polydamas

Default Re: Adjusting Armor for different SM

Realistically they will have to make the armour anew. Everything in the new armour will be about 2/3 as large as in the old. If they scrap the old armour to make the new one, I would let them buy the new armour at say a 50% discount. Edit: In fantasyland it might be possible to enchant the armour to resize to its new owner.

If there are any rules they are in Low Tech (harsh and reality-based) or Dungeon Fantasy (generous and D&D-based).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 08-06-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added afterthough
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I doubt anyone could resize a five year old's armor to fit adult me.
I imagine the best compromise between magical resizing and scrap prices would be selling it to that hard up hobbit knight looking for armor. Then use that money to buy an almost as nice suit for yourself.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Anthony

Armor that's made up in pieces (scale, mail, etc) will probably have useful components for a new suit of armor. Other types of armor might not even be possible, or might need extensive work.

Or, you could sell the badly fitting armor and buy a new suit. It might well be cheaper than refitting.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Gudiomen

There are rules for scaling armor, but not after it's made... Low-Tech, Low-Tech Companion 2 and 3 have what you need.

From what precious little I know about actual armory, such a radical refit wouldn't be possible with minor adjustments. You're in essence remaking the entire thing.

Consider that you have all the materials, since you're downsizing, and reduce the time to make significantly since you don't have to do a lot of work (no need to draw wire for mail, you can repurpose entire pieces of the old armor, skip on sowing layers, scales, etc...). Depending on the type, it's just flat out impossible... you'd need to reforge plates entirely for the new size, might as well make a new one.

So same skills and tools needed to make the armor in the first place, minus the materials (maybe just a few buckles, rivets and strips of leather) and in significantly less time.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Bruno

I have armor refitting enchantments on my Wiki. They tweak for race, build, and SM (and of course gender - if it can handle leprechaun to lizardfolk, it can handle female/male).
I don't have energy costs listed there, but I don't use Quick And Dirty enchanting so back calculating the energy is easy: Divide the cost in $ by 20 to get the energy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Varyon

If magic is available, a spell to resize the armor to fit the character may be in order. If this doesn't modify the armor's weight, it would realistically mean the armor is thicker than it was before and gives more DR. Going from SM+0 to SM-1 would normally halve the weight while retaining the same DR; not halving the weight should therefore result in double DR. This might make the armor too thick for the character to use - realistically speaking, at SM-1 metal armor shouldn't go above DR 10 or so before factoring in material modifiers (like Hardened Steel, Orichalcum, and so forth).

If magic isn't available, things are going to be rather complicated and dependent on the nature of the armor itself. The easiest option is to allow the character to trade in the old armor and get a comparable set for half the price (and/or in half the time). More realistically, plate and hardened leather probably can't be repurposed like this (although a spangenhelm could). Segmented plate, brigandine, scale, and similar can probably all be repurposed, simply taking the old plates/scales and using them to make a new suit. This might reduce labor time - and thus cost - by up to 70%, but that's just a guess. Cloth and leather, particularly the layered varieties, are probably similar there. With mail, you'd probably need to unweave and reweave a good deal, which is going to mean a lot of labor cost is retained - you may get something like a 30% reduction.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote