Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Vito

Default My knife doesn't cost enough

I'm pulling together a 300 point character for an upcoming game and I've run into a bit of a dilemma. The character is a bit of a gimmick who is overconfident, impulsive, and has the major delusion of invincibility (so doesn't wear armor, naturally). This is all backed up by serendipity, ridiculous luck, enhanced dodge, and wealth (very).

My problem is that no matter how hard I try, I just can't spend enough money on my knife. There aren't that many weapon modifiers on A106 in general, and fewer still that apply to knives. Even creating a very-fine, balanced, climbers knife doesn't do nearly the damage I'd like it to and merely scratches the surface of the character's deep pockets.

So I implore you folk, help me spend more money on my knife. I've considered throwing money into making it ornate, but I'd rather figure out a way to make it a weapon of considerable power. Perhaps imbuing it with magic would be possible? Does anyone have any suggestions or homebrewed solutions?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: My knife doesn't cost enough

If the setting allows standard magic system then enchanting the knife will be the way to go.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Meteoric, Orichalcum, or Silver depending on what what properties you want it to have. Orichalcum is particularly useful, because it means the Knife won't break, even if parrying an ogre's club.

Ornate can act as a money dump. And, as zoncxs said, Enchantment. Accurate, Puissance (+1 damage), Penetrating, and one of Flaming, Icy, or Lightning will be useful. Instead of Orichalcum you could also go with Shatterproof here, which would allow you to make it Meteoric or Silver.

DFRPG Magic Items 1 also has costs for additional levels of Accuracy, Puissance, and Penetrating Weapon, as well as a few other Enchantments like Defending Weapon (+1-3 Parry), Loyal Weapon (returns to hand), and a few others. Enchantments could add up to over $1-2 Million if you fully kit it out.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Anthony

So, just starting with mundane stuff, a large knife (base $40) that is balanced (+4 CF), orichalcum (+29CF), ornate (+9 CF), very fine (+19 CF) costs $2,480. If you want to upgrade it further, we're in magic territory, but it will be pretty easy to fill out a budget that's merely Very Wealthy. Various applicable enchantments:
  • Quick-Aim (1 turn aiming counts as 3 turns): 100 energy ($100...)
  • Accuracy (+1), Ghost Weapon, Penetrating(/2), Puissance (+1): 250 energy ($5,000) each.
  • Quick-Draw: 300 energy ($6,000)
  • Defending (+1): 500 energy ($10,000)
  • Loyal, Penetrating (/3): 750 energy ($15,000)
  • Accuracy (+2), Dancing, Puissance (+2): 1,000 energy ($20,000) each.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Instead of Orichalcum you could also go with Shatterproof here, which would allow you to make it Meteoric or Silver.
You can't enchant a Meteoric weapon: "It can’t be magical, compose a power item, or benefit from weapon-enhancing spells or magical repairs" (Adventurers, p. 106). But this would work with Silver.

Vito, I think you may have missed the enchantment options on pp. 117-118. Adding Accuracy and Puissance would be $10,000. Plus Defending Weapon for another $10,000 and Penetrating Weapon for $5,000. Adding Icy Weapon would be another $17,000 for $42,000 before investigating the higher end options in Magic Items 1.

As an aside, I wonder if you can combine followups. Can you have an Icy Electrical knife? My guess, based on how other modifiers stack, that you cannot.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
As an aside, I wonder if you can combine followups. Can you have an Icy Electrical knife? My guess, based on how other modifiers stack, that you cannot.
The rules don't disallow it, even in full blown GURPS Magic. However, I wouldn't allow it on the basic theory that elemental damage shouldn't work that way.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Vito

You're all right, of course. I had completely missed/forgotten the enchanting system on 117/118. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm still open to interesting and unorthodox knife ideas if there are folks who have them.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
Yssa

If you're looking for something less practical, here are some options (Disclaimer, all Cost factors are intuitive and have nothing to do with GURPS rules):

Royal
Kind of like ornate, but it improves reaction rolls (+2) to folks who respect monarchies, including folks who royal themselves, folks with the "Honesty" disadvantage, and folks trying to raise their social standing. But mostly it just costs more because royal folk have more money than they know what to do with. CF +14

Even More Blanced
Grants +3 to DX rolls when you are trying to catch the knife or balance it on the tip of the blade. CF +1

Even More Balance
When you are holding the knife ready, grants +1 to all DX based skill rolls to balance, stay standing, or land on your feet. CF +5

fine *shrug*
It's just a regular knife, but if you are careful about your tone and barely move your shoulders, people might think you are saying capital F "Fine" when you actually say "fine *shrug.*" If a potential buyer gives a reaction roll neutral or better, you can sell this item as if it were Fine, even though its only, eh, fine. CF+1
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Dalin

Other ways to increase damage include buying a few levels of Striking ST and/or Expert Backstabbing.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
tbone

Maybe someone said this, but: The Ornate mod lists CFs going up to +9, but I'd call that nothing more than "minimum CF for the stated bonus". There's no limit to actual CF (or plain $$ amount) you can tack on for ornateness.

Cover the thing with diamonds. Tack on a golf ball-sized ruby as a pommel. It'll cost the PCs' entire fortune and then some, if you want it to.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote