Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
blacksmith

Default [RPM] Effects

I am looking to start up a online collection of peoples favorite RPM effects.

What effects would you prepare as conditional spells or have as frequently cast spells?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: [RPM] Effects

I've collected my own rituals here:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/MH/Mark%27s_Spells

and some stuff from the forum here:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/MH/Forum_Spells
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I've collected my own rituals here:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/MH/Mark%27s_Spells

and some stuff from the forum here:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/MH/Forum_Spells
For the "concentrate the light" ritual, does it blind the target of the ritual if the light level is suddenly increased, say from almost total darkness to a well-lit room? Based on the description, I'm envisioning it somewhat like night vision goggles, where it amplifies light indiscriminately. Just curious...
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
mlangsdorf

Well, it's supposed to be a subtle effect, because my mini-Sage can't afford big effects. The idea is that if the target of the spell is in dim light, and there's suddenly some bright light (like muzzle flashes of gun), then coincidentally the target is looking right at that flush and gets dazzled for a moment or two - not enough to blind them entirely, but enough to stun and disorient them. It wouldn't work at all in a brightly lit room, or in a dark room when no one is suddenly creating flashes of light.

So yes, if someone went from a dimly lit room in a brightly lit room and you hit them with Concentrate the Light right then, they would be affected. But if you did it a few seconds later, the charm would fail because the conditions to use it wouldn't be available.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Well, it's supposed to be a subtle effect, because my mini-Sage can't afford big effects. The idea is that if the target of the spell is in dim light, and there's suddenly some bright light (like muzzle flashes of gun), then coincidentally the target is looking right at that flush and gets dazzled for a moment or two - not enough to blind them entirely, but enough to stun and disorient them. It wouldn't work at all in a brightly lit room, or in a dark room when no one is suddenly creating flashes of light.

So yes, if someone went from a dimly lit room in a brightly lit room and you hit them with Concentrate the Light right then, they would be affected. But if you did it a few seconds later, the charm would fail because the conditions to use it wouldn't be available.
He just needs a better library. +6's are not that expensive as signature gear.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
mlangsdorf

Well, he's an odd duck: a 200 point mini-Sage in a TL5 Castle Falkenstein game. As it is, he is Very Wealthy and owns ~60 grimoires, but his Path skills are in the 12-15 range. He doesn't even have Luck! So with a maximum effective skill of 23 (+1 sacred space, +1 charm kit, +6 grimoire, Path of Energy-15) he can't pull a lot of the big effects.

And Sages take forever to make charms. 23 castings from a grimoire takes nearly 4 hours, plus 30 minutes to prep the charm. So that's only 2 big charms a day! For stuff that I use a lot - such as Concentrate the Light - it's nice to have something small enough that I can reasonably build some new charms in the evening while adventuring.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
blacksmith

Here are some effects I thought about

Coat of Concealment
Lesser Control Matter[5](Smooth the lines of the coat giving a +4 bonus to hold out),
Lesser Control Chance[5](Make people less likely to notice things under the coat giving a -4 penalty to notice);
Bonus Or Penalty: Single: +4 [8],
Bonus Or Penalty: Moderate: -4 [16],
Duration: 1 month [11].
Cost: 45

Bullet Stopping Coat
Lesser Strengthen Matter[3](Strengthens a Leather coat);
Duration: 1 month [11],
Altered Traits: 18 [18] (DR +6 flexible semiablative).
Cost: 32