Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #51
Anthony

Default Re: [DF] Stating up Centaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Kind of hard to find in that thread, I bet.
First of all, it's from the current thread, and secondly, no, not particularly hard to find. If you're going to complain that something is being ignored in a thread, you should at least read the first page of the thread...
Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #52
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Many goat species can climb inclines steep enough to make monkey children slip.
You seem to be assuming they can't climb well as humans. Of course they can't. They'll climb like centaurs.
But either way, if they have a disadvantage, then they should get points for it.
The only ones I can think of would be incompetence, or some kind of taboo against high skill in climbing.
Positives and negatives can balance out to make a feature-equivalent.

If you keep swinging that assumption bat around, someone is going to end up getting hurt - something my mom would say
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #53
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Inflexible[-5]
-3 to Climbing and Escape; also applies to Erotic Art for campaigns where this is somehow relevant.

And many PCs can just buy it off, especially centaur Scouts or Swashbucklers who have a really good use for the mobility.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #54
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Inflexible[-5]
-3 to Climbing and Escape; also applies to Erotic Art for campaigns where this is somehow relevant.

And many PCs can just buy it off, especially centaur Scouts or Swashbucklers who have a really good use for the mobility.
Good thought. If you put it in, bump Ground Move up by +1.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #55
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
First of all, it's from the current thread, and secondly, no, not particularly hard to find. If you're going to complain that something is being ignored in a thread, you should at least read the first page of the thread...
I thought I did check. I've been catching up on a lot of sites lately. I may have merely searched linked threads.
And it's easy to overreact to pet peeves. My mistake.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Positives and negatives can balance out to make a feature-equivalent.

If you keep swinging that assumption bat around, someone is going to end up getting hurt - something my mom would say
I prefer those zero point features to have well defined pluses and minuses rather than just stating it as an axiom without proof.

Look at all the disagreement on what the machine trait does to fatigue.
Most DF type games I've played involved a bit of climbing making it a bit more important than most non combat skills.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #57
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT] Features

Quote:
I prefer those zero point features to have well defined pluses and minuses rather than just stating it as an axiom without proof.

Look at all the disagreement on what the machine trait does to fatigue.
Most DF type games I've played involved a bit of climbing making it a bit more important than most non combat skills.
Since you're aware of one example, I guess supplied proof on my part won't be necessary :)

Most such features are left as an exercise to those interested enough to either prove to themselves it is or is not a non-zero trait, or get someone else to do it for them. I'm usually willing to just assume their cost neutrality, although crunchy examples, like 'neither has nor can spend fatigue' can bring out the Missouran in me.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #58
chandley

Final release is up on my site. I added some lenses as well:

Lenses:

Unitaur [+25]: A centaur with single magical horn growing from its forehead. Much rarer than centaur, unitaurs share a unicorns temperament and powers.
Add: Call of the Wild [1]; Cutting Striker (Alt Attack, Imp Striker x1/5; Cannot Parry -40%; Horn* -45%; Long, Max Reach only +75%; Weak -50%) [1]; DR 4 (Skull Only -70%) [6]; Healing (Druidic -10%; Faith Healing +20%; Reliable +10 +50%; Horn* -45%) [35]; Immune to Disease (Horn* -45%) [5]; Impaling Striker (Horn* -45%) [5]; Spirit Empathy (Specialized, Nature Spirits -50%) [5]; Striking ST (Imp Striker Only -60%) [2]; Intolerance (Evil**) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15]; Shyness (Mild) [-5]. *Gadget: Horn, Breakable DR 15, inconvenient to repair!, SM -6, Must be forcefully removed -45%. CAN be healed using the horns healing power, though someone else would have to hold the horn to the stump and spend FP and make the IQ roll. **This means refusing to heal people with things like Callous, Infernal supernatural features (or social stigma), etc. and generally acting pissy towards anyone that doesnt meet its standards of good behavior.
Power Ups: Add Striking ST (Imp Striker Only -60%) up to a total of +8 [2/level].

Pegataur [+25]: A centaur with large wings growing from its horse torso. Not as rare as unitars. Tend towards hills and mountains rather than plains and scrub.
Add Flight (Winged -25%; Temp Disad: No Strikers -6%) [28] + 2x Strikers (Crushing; Long +100%; Cannot Parry -40%; Weak -50%; Limb -20%; Damaged on Parry by Weapon -30%) [6]; Flight HT-1-9 [1]; Increased Consumption 1 [-10]. That last means they eat 4 meals a day, and require 4x the rations of a human (but still only 3 hours of meals a day, they just eat each meal faster).

Unipegataur [+50]: A combination of the above two lenses, and add No Appearance below Average as a feature. Wings are rainbow colored. So rare, they might not actually be a "race", and instead might simply be magically transformed or divinely blessed (or cursed!) individuals.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #59
benz72

Wierd stuff that floats through Ben's brain, sharing now.
It would be kind of cool to see a Gnome/Goat centaur
or an opera diva/hippo centaur
What would a minotaur/bull centaur look like? that could be odd
Are mermen fish centaurs? if so, were they created in the same set of experiments?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #60
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Wierd stuff that floats through Ben's brain, sharing now.
It would be kind of cool to see a Gnome/Goat centaur
or an opera diva/hippo centaur
What would a minotaur/bull centaur look like? that could be odd
Are mermen fish centaurs? if so, were they created in the same set of experiments?
As lenses (apply all adjustments to the centaur template).

Gnome/Goat: Gnome arent any weaker than humans, just smaller. Goats are quite a bit weaker than horses, and smaller. Compromise: ST -1/-6 [-39]. SM +0. Gnome torso buys armor as SM -1. Optionally add a crushing striker and some DR to their skull.

Diva/Hippo: +5 / +11 ST [+127]; Bulky Frame [-1] (from Power Ups 6, also good for normal Centaurs), Voice [10]. SM +2. Human torso buys armor as SM+1.

Minotaur/Bull: Pretty easy really. ST +3 / +3 [+88]; IQ -2 [-40]; HT+3 [30]; Per +2 [10]. The advantage/disadvantage list from Minotaur in The Next Level [+10]. SM +3, Minotaur torso buys armor as SM +1 (but a big SM +1).

Mermen are more akin to classic beastmen, without the humanoid part. So I would say no, not the same experiments as created the centaur, more likely from the same lab that did catmen and snake people.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeon fantasy templates