Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Stormcrow

Default How realistic is Night Vision?

Night Vision is listed as a mundane physical advantage. I expected to see some listed limit to how many levels a normal human can have, but there is none. Should there be one, or are there people who really can see perfectly clearly in almost total darkness?
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: How realistic is Night Vision?

There should be some limit, sure. Cats probably have Night Vision 4-5; Owls might have 7 or 8. I'd limit a human to 2 or 3 in an ultra-realistic campaign.

In a cinematic or slightly pulpy game, I'd have no problem allowing up to 5, for a "mundane" human, it's not going to break any games. I've never had a player try for anything unreasonable, though.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Anthony

In terms of actual physiological effects, in order to fit real-world darkness into a -1 to -9 scale, the human limit is about 1 level (and cats have around 2 levels). However, it's also possible to simply learn to function with limited information -- basically, specialization in the "low light combat" maneuver, or whatever -- and it's not obvious what the limits of that would be.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Icelander

According to Kromm, Night Vision 2 is about the limit in a realistic setting. This reflects both actual better light processing by the eyes and familiarity with low-light conditions.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

But does it really matter when all you have to do is buy up your acute vision or perception?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
According to Kromm, Night Vision 2 is about the limit in a realistic setting. This reflects both actual better light processing by the eyes and familiarity with low-light conditions.
Though also remembers sum of is with those levels of Night Vision also have the GURPS Fantasy version of Night Vision 1 where we take -1 in full daylight due to glare and eyestrain where other don't (yes there is a reason my glasses are tinted)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Though also remembers sum of is with those levels of Night Vision also have the GURPS Fantasy version of Night Vision 1 where we take -1 in full daylight due to glare and eyestrain where other don't (yes there is a reason my glasses are tinted)
Earth biologically speaking, I think that's more night vision plus a lack of bright light adaptation than a true single feature, if that makes any sense.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But does it really matter when all you have to do is buy up your acute vision or perception?
Yes. The major reason you buy night vision isn't to boost your vision roll at night, it's to eliminate the combat/DX penalty, and acute vision doesn't do that.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
In terms of actual physiological effects, in order to fit real-world darkness into a -1 to -9 scale, the human limit is about 1 level (and cats have around 2 levels). However, it's also possible to simply learn to function with limited information -- basically, specialization in the "low light combat" maneuver, or whatever -- and it's not obvious what the limits of that would be.
It should be at least 4 levels at the low end: the difference between -10 for a normally sighted attacker unable to see his target at all and -6 for a blind attacker who has become adapted to operating entirely without sight.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
It should be at least 4 levels at the low end: the difference between -10 for a normally sighted attacker unable to see his target at all and -6 for a blind attacker who has become adapted to operating entirely without sight.
That's a blind fighting skill, which I don't think costs 1 point per level.

Tags
night vision