Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
PiperHolmes

Default Telekinesis ST Striking question

Hey all:

How do you calculate effective Telekinetic ST when a character has a combination of TK, TK (Speed Only) and TK (Lifting Only)?

Say, for example if you had a character with

Basic TK - 5
TK -4 (Speed only)
TK - 3 (Lifting Only)

And didn't apply the 1/5 modifier to any of them, meaning the ratings stack.

Obviously this character could lift objects as ST 8 and move said objects at Basic Move 9. I believe that also means this character could grapple with ST 8 (as Lifting ST affects grappling), but it's not clear to me what ST she punches at. Thanks.
PiperHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Telekinesis ST Striking question

Your right on Lifting ST adding to grappling. But only the basic here TK counts for punching.
Striking ST is hitting, not Lifting ST.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
PiperHolmes

Thanks Refplace. That was kinda what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.
PiperHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Varyon

The text for the Lift Only Limitation just says that it doesn't add to movement, while the text for the Move Only Limitation states it doesn't add to telekinetic ST. I interpret that as meaning the Lift Only Limitation should probably be renamed something like ST Only, and it would add to TK Striking ST just fine. By comparison to normal Lifting vs Striking ST, and considering ST Only is -20%, I'd eyeball Striking Only at -50%, Lifting Only at -70% (note these are taken in place of ST Only; they take ST Only from [4] to [2.5] and [1.5], respectively, to match with Striking ST [5] and Lifting ST [3]). Note Striking ST is used to determine if you can appropriately wield a weapon and for throwing things.

Also, a character with TK 5 + TK 4 (Move Only) + TK 3 (Lift Only) would make a lot more sense to be written as TK 8 + TK 1 (Move Only), as this latter gives every bit as much utility, takes up less character sheet space, is less problematic in play, and costs less ([25+12+12=49] vs [40+3=43]).
Old 10-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The text for the Lift Only Limitation just says that it doesn't add to movement, while the text for the Move Only Limitation states it doesn't add to telekinetic ST. I interpret that as meaning the Lift Only Limitation should probably be renamed something like ST Only, and it would add to TK Striking ST just fine.
It sounds like "Not Move -20%" and "Not ST -40%" might be clearer ways of matching up the titles with their definitions.

Also a consideration for TG28's "Grappling Only" which seems to be defined more like "Foes Only" or "Not Objects".

The inability to use the TK against objects makes "grappling only" a kinda misleading name since Technical Grappling has rules about grappling objects too =/
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote