Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Statting a teenager--skills needed and likely

And of course a lot of teens have Shyness. How much would Shyness (only in romantic situations) be worth? I definitely had that, as I wasn't afraid to be on stage. But girls? Blush, stammer, quick retreat.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieurin View Post
Delusion ("I'm the only one who hasn't done *INSERT THING ONLY FOR ADULTS HERE*!")

Erik
Delusion: My parents are evil, mean, and stupid

Delusion: My parents don't want me to have any fun

Delusion: Nobody knows how it feels to be [please insert teen angst issue du jour]

Quirk: Horrified by anything that implies his or her parents currently have, or have ever had, sex with each other

I better stop...I'm just getting evil, mean, and stupid here. Because, you know, I just don't know how it feels to be... :)

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned...some kids probably have a point or two in Acting or Diplomacy. They just have a knack for getting along with people, putting on a mask to show people what they want to see, getting people to do what they want them to do, etc.
Definitely. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a youngster (8-12yo) give the "yes, mom" treatment while getting a lecture. The "If I just say yes and keep nodding this will end and I can get on with doing what I was doing in the first place" look is transparent on their face.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
sieurin

When I was a teenager, I was quite certain I had Enemy(Life). How many points is that?

Less quipping, social traits. An adult that listens, or provides you with some kind of benefit which is hard to get (whether that means standing up to you or buying your beer), is a valuable Contact. Allies (friends) is for the lucky ones; unlucky ones can have a bad Reputation with their peers, or at least a group of them. Someone who is severely bullied probably has an Enemy (priced as "rival", unless you have it really bad).

I suppose you could model youth subculture as having its own "Ranks", but it is probably more kosher to treat it like Reputation. The respect of your peers means a lot, not only for your well-being but for getting things done. I had a friend who would pass suggestions to teachers through me because he knew they listened more to me (or perhaps it was also one of those Delusions :p ), so it doesn't only apply to other kids.

NB that this doesn't cause much trouble visavis adult characters who lacks those traits: presumably your friendly woodcraft teacher is dead and your old bully is now stuck in a dead-end job somewhere, and neither is worth points. Social traits are like that.

Erik
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
sieurin

The "If I just say yes and keep nodding this will end and I can get on with doing what I was doing in the first place" look is transparent on their face.

That sounds like a failed Diplomacy check to me... ;)

Erik
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
The "If I just say yes and keep nodding this will end and I can get on with doing what I was doing in the first place" look is transparent on their face.

That sounds like a failed Diplomacy check to me... ;)

Erik
Well, *I* can see it as a disinterested observer. Mom, on the other hand, is usually just trying to make a quick point and get on the road.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #27
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post

(SNIP)

Survival, if a boy/girl scout.
First-aid, if trained.
Swimming.

(SNIP)

celjabba
For girl scouts, add Knot Tying (scouts actually spend a lot of time, on this), and I'll second the suggestion of Diplomacy for those who go all-out on the cookie sales. I knew a few, like that. Scary.

Also, potentially, plenty of points Dancing and Acrobatics, for girls into that. By the time they're 14, they're usually as good at gymnastics as they'll ever be. At the very least, they're way the heck up in the flat part of the diminishing-returns curve.

Last edited by tshiggins; 01-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Ed the Coastie

Oddly enough (from a GURPS standpoint), a 14-year old male active in the LDS church will usually possess Clerical Investment (LDS) [5] and Religious Rank 1 (LDS) [5]. Of course, this is generally off-set by Vow (assorted LDS obligations) [-5] and Honesty (15-)* [-5].

* Hey...we're talking a teenager here!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'll second the suggestion of Diplomacy for those who go all-out on the cookie sales.
Or perhaps Fast-Talk.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
Mgellis

Quote:
When I was a teenager, I was quite certain I had Enemy(Life). How many points is that?

Erik
Cursed [-75] if the cosmos really is your enemy. :)

Otherwise, it's probably just Unluckiness [-10] and Delusion (The Universe Hates Me) [-1]
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation