Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #51
David Johnston2

Default Re: Statting a teenager--skills needed and likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post

This is slightly confused because Basic actually gives CI a supernatural effect (effective exorcism) which [ought] to have a separate cost from the Rank.
No, it doesn't. It's just that it is rare for someone who doesn't have Clerical Investment to have more than default Religious Ritual
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #52
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, it doesn't. It's just that it is rare for someone who doesn't have Clerical Investment to have more than default Religious Ritual
Huh? Exorcism is a skill distinct from RR. And IIRC it works at a penalty unless you have True Faith or Clerical Investment or Blessed from some diva.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #53
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Huh? Exorcism is a skill distinct from RR. And IIRC it works at a penalty unless you have True Faith or Clerical Investment or Blessed from some divinity.
Exorcism defaults from Religious Ritual, and no, you have misremembered. It isn't Clerical Investment. It's Power Investiture.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Ah, that fixes it. Sorry.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #55
sieurin

Don't forget Area Knowledge (Town).

In which she might have a higher score than her parents, who might very well spend less time moving around and talking to people in the area, making do with defaults to find the supermarket, doctor and church. If they are commuters, they probably have a higher skill for the place they work in.

CI vs RR:
As I see it, CI is the specific right, recognised by your religion in whatever manner, to perform religious ceremonies. RR is your place in the "chain of command" in a religious hierarchy. I can easily imagine someone with RR who has no right to perform rituals and isnt supposed to, but who has administrative or even military command over normal duded in the church.

I can imagine a religion in which any member can perform ceremonies and no formal or informal recognition of his duty is neccessary, as well as one which has no formal organisation to speak of (isn't that true of many Jews and Moslems, who get by on Reputation instead?)

Erik
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #56
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieurin View Post
I can imagine a religion in which any member can perform ceremonies and no formal or informal recognition of his duty is neccessary, as well as one which has no formal organisation to speak of (isn't that true of many Jews and Moslems, who get by on Reputation instead?)
Erik
Many Christians don't recognise a distinction between clergy and laity either - and the lower church you get, the less formal organisation you'll find. Amongst Baptists, being a pastor simply means you are employed as a church minister, Brethern Churches (Quakers etc.) don't even make that much distinction. In both anyone can perform ceremonies, preach etc. - assuming they have the consent of their community, but in many cases a formally trained professional is still the norm. As I understand it many muslim denominations take the same approach. Not sure about the Jews, although I think you may be right there as well.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #57
sieurin

I don't think formal per se is neccessary for Clerical Investment - pentecoastal Christians can be pretty big on laity doing things, and I think here in Sweden they are pretty much non-organised (to the point the community have worried about interpretations of dogma) but there tends to be a "standard preacher" in a congregation anyway. He was just granted his CI more informally. :)

(IIRC - I'm an atheist, but had a gig as a musician for a Pentecoastal congretation and associated a lot with them in my youth... its another story.)
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation