Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
hal

Default Re: Move and Attack from kneeling positon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
side note. if you say that from a standing start, you can only go move/2 on round 1, move on round 2, and 120% move round 3, a human with move 10 hits a 9.08sec 100yd dash, or a 9.86s 100m dash.

This is sorta based on the theory that while you can get to your full velocity in one turn (10yds per sec), you displacement over that turn is half of that, since you do start from zero. I found that that house rule of half/full/sprint actually did pretty well in replicating really fast sprinters.
The problem with the house rule - and by the way, I will STEAL that one if I can fast-talk it past my players <g>, is that GURPS combat rules are so geared towards being able to move the entire movement value in a single turn's worth of combat options. To change to that houserule will change the overall feel of GURPS combat.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
side note. if you say that from a standing start, you can only go move/2 on round 1, move on round 2, and 120% move round 3, a human with move 10 hits a 9.08sec 100yd dash, or a 9.86s 100m dash.

This is sorta based on the theory that while you can get to your full velocity in one turn (10yds per sec), you displacement over that turn is half of that, since you do start from zero. I found that that house rule of half/full/sprint actually did pretty well in replicating really fast sprinters.
Yes and but Totally punishes anyone of Medium or worse encumbrance by effectively limiting them to only steps in combat. I have hard enough time convincingn people Enhanced move is worth while, but nurfing their basic speed as well? not going to fly.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

to both Rogue and Hal:

Yes, from a STANDING START it nerfs you.

So? This is completely and totally realistic. Those first few steps are a killer.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #24
hal

Quote:
to both Rogue and Hal:

So? This is completely and totally realistic. Those first few steps are a killer.
Doug - I've no problem with your house rule. I would be FAR happier from a "simulationist" point of view had GURPS used a rule like that from the start. I know my players well enough however, that the very first objection raised will be "It changes the combat". I would amend that rule such that a person running at full speed has to use the same sequence to decelerate - or can skip ONE level of speed to TRY and stop, but would require a DX saving roll or fall down. DX saving roll would be equal to the speed of the character. Thus, a move of 4 all out running, would result in a DX-4 roll to stop on a dime.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
to both Rogue and Hal:

So almost every turn in combat is a standing start!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Doug - I've no problem with your house rule. I would be FAR happier from a "simulationist" point of view had GURPS used a rule like that from the start.
Yeah, forgive my tone. My 13mo daughter is kind of having a fit this morning. Leaves me on edge.

Quote:
I know my players well enough however, that the very first objection raised will be "It changes the combat".
Yes it does. :-)

If one wants to go from zero to full speed in one turn, make them make a Running roll.

In fact, I'd go like this: your acceleration starts at 40% of your encumbered Move. If you make your roll, add 10% of your base move to your acceleration for that turn. Each MoS of 1 beyond that adds an additional 10% to your Move, up to moving your full Encumbered Move on turn 1.

Interestingly enough, solving for a world-record tie on the 100m dash means a first-turn move of 8.4 yards, a second turn move of 10, and the third-turn and beyond move of 12.

So to set a world record, you'd need a Move of 10 to start with (this is likely a useful human maximum). You also need to make a running roll by 9-10.

This might (likely does) put too much emphasis on the start...no such thing as a mediocre start and pushing it hard for the win.

As far as combat move, making the players make a Running roll (default to HT-5) to increase their oomph from a standing start from 40% of full Encumbered Move does change combat, emphasizes the Running skill a bit more, and limits one-turn mobility by a fair bit. For a typical adventurer of Move 5-6 and medium encumbrance (-2), you're talking a first-turn move of 1.2-1.6yds...which is basically a 2yd step. Second turn, of course, you'd get the full 3-4, and third turn is a sprint bonus.

Failing the Running roll would likely result in a DX penalty due to over-acceleration. Maybe Margin of Failure/2, round in favor of the player.

Quote:
I would amend that rule such that a person running at full speed has to use the same sequence to decelerate - or can skip ONE level of speed to TRY and stop, but would require a DX saving roll or fall down. DX saving roll would be equal to the speed of the character. Thus, a move of 4 all out running, would result in a DX-4 roll to stop on a dime.
I like the general feel; deceleration should likely be a bit easier to stop, but in my experience, hard deceleration can really muck you up injury wise, and it's easier to fall.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
So almost every turn in combat is a standing start!
Not if you moved the previous turn, including a step.

This does mean it's hard to get going. As I said before, so?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
Lupo

Quote:
So, most people aren't willing to revolutionize GURPS tactical combat, based on some specific assumption about "realism".

Nobody contends that in the real world people start running slower and then they acquire velocity, but GURPS is a game and certain abstractions are desirable, not only for simplicity, but also to make the game more gameable...

It's just boring when most characters move either 2 or 3 hexes per second.

If I truly were to have an uber-complex and realistic approach to movement and acceleration in GURPS, your proposal would not be realistic enough (allowing full movement after a single Step does not strike me as realistic).

Also, I'd probably want to reduce the size of hexes to 2 feet, and proportionately increase movement, to allow for finer detail.
E.g., if hexes were 2 feet wide, average humans could have Move 9, and move at Move/2 on the 1st second, 3/4 Move on the 2nd second, full move thereafter (dropping the "sprint" bonus which would then be useless).*

Or, at the very least, maneuvers such as All-out attack and Step rules should be checked and possibly modified, to assure that the game remains tactically interesting and that the unavoidable rounding to integers does not take away all the detail... (frex, under your proposal, virtually ALL characters will Move exactly 1 yard, every time they move through rough terrain, backwards or in any other circumstance that costs double movement, no matter if they have Move 2 or Move 7...)
If you radically change just 1 parameter of the game (e.g., how many hexes can a character move during an ordinary Move maneuver), disregarding how this interacts with the various maneuvers that allow movement and options about movement, the end result won't be particularly realistic.

* Now that I think of it, having "2 feet hexes" would allow greater detail for weapon reach, too... that would be nice...
Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Not if you moved the previous turn, including a step.

As i said it next to impossible to get player I've known to Take Enhanced move for this... and those those the actully equip themselves with a military kit would be doubly ticked.

it one thing when you full plate gues are forced to be reduced to steps for most of combat, but when you medium armored people who areting trying to balance protect and mobility are just as screwed... you have a problem

it might be 'realistic' for sprinters... but it does not match anyone else. people who are medium encober dont have problem 'getting going'
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #30
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
it might be 'realistic' for sprinters... but it does not match anyone else. people who are medium encober dont have problem 'getting going'
The logic... it is hurtin'.

If sprinters cannot cover their full Move in the first second of movement, why on Earth would you expect others to be able to do so? Does training specifically for a certain task make you much worse at it?

Tags
combat rules, maneuvers