Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Spaceships] Ship sizes and other categories (cruiser, battleship etc.)?

Greetings, all!

Anybody got a consistent categorization of spaceships based on size and function? IMO a actual class names are a more appropriate way to refer to ships in-character than by linear measurement or SM.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Spaceships] Ship sizes and other categories (cruiser, battleship etc.)?

I have this page on my site to answer this question. Hope it helps.

I originally cooked up the page to correct someone whose idea of space combat came from watching Star Trek: Nemesis. (Take from that what you will.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: [Spaceships] Ship sizes and other categories (cruiser, battleship etc.)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

Anybody got a consistent categorization of spaceships based on size and function? IMO a actual class names are a more appropriate way to refer to ships in-character than by linear measurement or SM.
Note that, even in real life, ship size and "class" name are only tangentially linked. Also, ship "class" is relative to other ships of the time. So what qualifies as a "Destroyer" will depend on how large ships in your universe are. In some universes a 1000 foot ship may be a Destroyer, in others they may be 2 miles long.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
lvk

That's completely matter of author's gigantomania... errr... setting.

As ericbsmith said, your "cruiser" or "battleship" could be anything from SM+10 vessel to being off the GURPS Spaceships scale. For example, Earth Alliance in B5 has destroyers at SM+16 ("Omega-class"). And first USS Enterprise (a cruiser!) in Star Trek is "mere" SM+12.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Note that, even in real life, ship size and "class" name are only tangentially linked. Also, ship "class" is relative to other ships of the time. So what qualifies as a "Destroyer" will depend on how large ships in your universe are. In some universes a 1000 foot ship may be a Destroyer, in others they may be 2 miles long.
In the link in my previous post, you'll note I've left the actual size off; a lot of times, though, the sizes are relative; you can have mile-long destroyers with 11-mile-long battleships, if you wished; or the battleship can be a mile long and the others scaled down from there.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
In the link in my previous post, you'll note I've left the actual size off; a lot of times, though, the sizes are relative; you can have mile-long destroyers with 11-mile-long battleships, if you wished; or the battleship can be a mile long and the others scaled down from there.
Well, we know that SM+4 and +5 are fighters. Is it possible to work out the proportions from there?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Kissamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I have this page on my site to answer this question. Hope it helps.
Of course there's also a TV Tropes link for that. Not really what was being asked, though.

As was said, it varies wildly from one universe to another. Terminology isn't so steady either.

The ship classes I made for my own universe go as follows: +4 - +6 are fighters, bombers, assault shuttles and such. +7 is missile and gunboats, +8 corvettes, +9 frigates, +10 destroyers, +11 cruisers, +12 heavy cruisers and over that are battleships and dreadnoughts. Probably more definite limits that would be realistic, but I like them clear-cut like that.
Kissamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, we know that SM+4 and +5 are fighters. Is it possible to work out the proportions from there?
No. What constitutes a "Ship of the line"/"battleship"/"super dreadnaught"/"capital ship" depends on how far the scale goes up to.

Other names tend to be arbitrary., What are now destroyers relative to capital vessels may have been light cruisers or vice-versa. Or they may have been frigates or corvettes or sloops of war depending on time and place.

This can change rapidly too. the original HMS Dreadnaught would only have been a cruiser 30 years later.

Then there's adjectives and other modifiers like "battlecruiser" or heavy or light or guided missile or air defense.

This is significantly worse than what's a "broadsword" or a "longsword". There's much less logic and universality involved.

You can borrow somebody else's nomenclature scheme or make up your own but even in respect to absolute or relative size there is no universal standard to adopt.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Actually, now that I think of it, I scavenged this page a long while ago. On it the creator, Jeff Russell, has literally hundreds of ships from tens of sci-fi universes all drawn to scale. Of course, given the immense differences in scale, from fighters and shuttlecraft all the way up to Ringworld and Dyson Spheres, he provides several different pages with ships drawn at various scales.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Dinadon

Me? I use such titles as Grade 10 Gunship, Grade 12 Reconnaissance Vessel, where the grade just happens to correspond to the ships SM. Yep, lazy. Of course, these are the international classifications. Somewhat important given that humanity is finding FTL again after a century without and the divergences that causes.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ship classes, space, spaceships