Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
cccwebs

Default Re: [Space/Spaceships] TL9 nomad fleet - playable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
What kind of stl thrusters are you using? If it's anything non-superscience (especially at TL 9) you probably need more than 1 fuel tank. My general rule for non-superscience designs up to about TL 10 is half the craft is tankage.
The need for multiple fuel tanks is probably the most limiting factor for non-superscience "nomad" fleets. Reaction mass and the replacement of reaction mass would probably significant gameplay sessions on their own, and the heading of the fleet would probably be based on where the next resources are located.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
What kind of stl thrusters are you using? If it's anything non-superscience (especially at TL 9) you probably need more than 1 fuel tank. My general rule for non-superscience designs up to about TL 10 is half the craft is tankage.
I'm not specifying, but I suspect that realistic ones are the less playable ones too.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth
As well as cutting down on need for outside support, the HT bonus is a significant plus for a long-term habitat craft, and it gives them a good extra way to contribute to the fleet economy without having people commuting to work between ships.
Come to think of it, in a setting without reactionless thrusters, the ships of the fleet would be built to reduce the amount of transport required between them. Having to shuttle people and goods routinely between various ships would eat away at reaction mass. If reaction mass supplies ever dwindles down low enough, ships that could not be at least minimally self-sustaining would suffer dire consequences.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Come to think of it, in a setting without reactionless thrusters, the ships of the fleet would be built to reduce the amount of transport required between them. Having to shuttle people and goods routinely between various ships would eat away at reaction mass. If reaction mass supplies ever dwindles down low enough, ships that could not be at least minimally self-sustaining would suffer dire consequences.
Meh, if they're close and moving at the same speed and direction, you can figure out something via mass drivers or something. Just divert a little juice from the reactor and kick a shuttle towards another ship.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm not specifying, but I suspect that realistic ones are the less playable ones too.
It provides more challenges. Personally I think that's MORE playable, but YMMV.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Meh, if they're close and moving at the same speed and direction, you can figure out something via mass drivers or something. Just divert a little juice from the reactor and kick a shuttle towards another ship.
Landing might be interesting under that scheme.

Also, while it would be more efficient than shuttle engines, each pod exchange would drive the ships apart, requiring reaction mass to keep them in formation.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Landing might be interesting under that scheme.

Also, while it would be more efficient than shuttle engines, each pod exchange would drive the ships apart, requiring reaction mass to keep them in formation.
Alternately, they might be connected by robust tether-cables.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Alternately, they might be connected by robust tether-cables.
Tether cables would be a difficult proposition. The coordination needed to maintain the positions for an extended duration would be prohibitive.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Of course, you can more or less negate the issue if the ships are sufficiently self-contained that they don't do a significant amount of intership transfers.

You don't necessarily even need more than one starship, but adding extra ships is probably the best way for the group to expand, so you're going to end up with a fleet. Still, it's probably best to minimize specialization, for this and other reasons.

Each ship probably should have a cargo bay system for raw materials and durable goods stockpiles.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
It provides more challenges. Personally I think that's MORE playable, but YMMV.
The concept of a nomadic fleet with extremely large resupply needs doesn't make sense. If it's a lot of time and trouble to move, then people will rarely move.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nomad fleet, self-sufficiency, space, spaceships