Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
terranstrider

Default [Spaceships] Construction Time & Cost Discounts?

I have two questions for a Vorkosigan Saga naval campaign (background) using TL10^ / TL11^ spaceships:

1. Do the RAW state the time required to construct spaceships of given size/type? If so are there cost or other modifiers to decrease/increase the required time?

2. Spaceships p.34 states that costs are for mass production. Is there anything more specific on costs? For example if a single construction company/yard built 100 x 10,000 ton ships or 10,000 x 100 ton shuttles would a further discout apply?

If there are no RAW references for these questions any suggestions to model costs on would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
terranstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Spaceships] Construction Time & Cost Discounts?

Last I heard, there was some controversy about G:Spaceships economy in the first place.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

There are rules in Spaceships 6.

Economically, they don't make sense. The cost to construct ships relative to their established price varies wildly. And their costs are way higher than mass-produced consumer goods of equivalent price.

First thing, you probably need to apply the Slower Economic Systems switch from SS7 (Productive system ratings per hour become per day) for everything except shipyards, because SS6 effectively applies it to shipyards but not other things.

Then note that ships only cost the list price as per SS1 (or the rest of the series) if they're mass-produced on an enclosed assembly line, which means the shipyard has to be much bigger than the ship. Craft which aren't produced that way in-setting need to be repriced to reflect the higher costs of assembly.

EDIT: It occurs to me that this may not be applicable to the Vorkosigan setting. I don't have the Vorkosigan Saga book.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
terranstrider

Thanks folks,

I've now read Spaceships 6. Although it's very useful as a starting point in combination with Ultra Tech and Space, I see what you mean about factory production changes and the "incomplete" economic model. Especially with regard to the additional cost of building ships that do not fit within the Fabricator/Robofac.

However there is enough here that I can, with information available on the web, create a customised civil/naval ship construction program - without (hopefully) straying too far from the RAW.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by terranstrider; 11-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.
terranstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships