Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2023, 07:21 AM   #631
Kesendeja

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

#5 but I'll throw a vote at #1 for a contrast if there is more than one branch.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:44 AM   #632
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Important Regional Cultures Question III
I'll place my votes for 5 (crystal-based magitech, it's common enough in both fantasy and scifi for SGC to think it's technology rather than magic) and ericthered's 6a (Biopunk elves vs Crystal elves; this would be particularly interesting if SGC is initially more inclined to side with the latter, as they seem less immediately-horrifying, but then turn out to be just as unsettling, if not more).
Old 05-04-2023, 10:10 AM   #633
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'll place my votes for 5 (crystal-based magitech, it's common enough in both fantasy and scifi for SGC to think it's technology rather than magic) .
Note that in the actual TV show the alien tech could very accurately be described as "crystal-based" and filled out the Clarke-side of "sufficiently advanced technology".

Count this as a vote for #5.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #634
TGLS

Well it probably won't matter but I'll vote for 6b: #5, but the crystals are created by means of #1.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #635
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Are the Eldritch folk supposed to be dark (but not necessarily evil), evil (but not necessarily dark), both, or neither?
Well, if we end up with enough votes for two Eldritch factions, it could be one of each. My own thinking is that they're creepy and evil from a human perspective (which is also how the Dvergar and Frolechi see them), though there could be specific Eldritch Beings who aren't that bad.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #636
adm

I like some sort of blend of 1+3 that reinforces the other.

If two factions, then 5 for the second one.

I could see both factions being originally based on 3 and each faction going to 1 or 5.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:15 AM   #637
Prince Charon

So, 5 has four or five votes, 1 has three votes, 6a has two votes, and both 3 and 6b have one vote each.

If no-one particularly objects, I'm going to say that the Crystal Spires and Togas group are the dominant faction, and there's a smaller, less powerful faction that went in for Hardcore Biopunk. Which one the PCs meet first is likely to vary from game to game.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:28 AM   #638
Inky

I'm not sure if anyone here's come across a graphic novel series called A Distant Soil, but that might be some inspiration for ethereal crystal-spires-and-togas aliens that are evil. (Apparently, odd coincidence, one of the main characters has dark skin and ginger hair. I'm not sure I remembered that before checking the website!)
Old 05-07-2023, 05:33 AM   #639
Prince Charon

Important Regional Cultures Question IV

A 'two questions in different formats' entry, about TGLS's unnamed multispecies polity.

First question: What does their use of technology (and magic, where they're connected) look like?

1. Power in Motion (TL2^ with TL(2+3)^ herb lore; martial arts themed Symbol Magic interacts with some technologies)

2. Alchemical Clockpunk (TL(4+4)^; clockwork robots and alchemy, some machines use alchemical 'fuels')

3. Electrostaticpunk (TL(4+2)^; with a focus on the application of static electricity)

4. Cyberpunk (TL(7+2)^; technoneuromancy, common cyberwear, and probably Shadowrunish Path/Book Magic)

5. Atompunk (TL(6+4)^; Pulp Sci-Fi, with atomic rockets, ray guns, and Magic-as-'psychic'-Powers)

6. Several of the above, due to being an alliance of smaller, less powerful groups (so if this wins or ties, the others that get votes here are subfactions).

7. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Second question: What is the polity/culture/group called?

Answer: The current tally is five votes for 5, four votes for 1, three votes for 4, and two votes for 6. The 'Power in Motion' and 'Cyberpunk' cultures might be protectorates or client states of the more powerful 'Atompunk' culture, but that's for a later vote. The name of the polity will be in the next vote.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 05-12-2023 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:59 AM   #640
Kesendeja

Important Regional Cultures Question IV
In order of prefrence:

6. Several of the above, due to being an alliance of smaller, less powerful groups (so if this wins or ties, the others that get votes here are subfactions).

4. Cyberpunk (TL(7+2)^; technoneuromancy, common cyberwear, and probably Shadowrunish Path/Book Magic)

5. Atompunk (TL(6+4)^; Pulp Sci-Fi, with atomic rockets, ray guns, and Magic-as-'psychic'-Powers)

1. Power in Motion (TL2^ with TL(2+3)^ herb lore; martial arts themed Symbol Magic interacts with some technologies)

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding