Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #27
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This is my one concern. Mental strength is a weird fit. I see where you were trying to go, but this equates a DX-based skill that has no other use with a Will-based skill that I expect will be frequently useful.

I suppose the one reason you might take polearm art instead is because your DX is higher than your will in the first place.

I just sort of have mixed feelings about it.
My guess is this this more-or-less setting a precedent, that magical tools like this can typically be used with Mental Strength. A skilled warrior will probably use Polearm Art (which defaults from Polearm at -3) for this, but a generalist magical tool user may instead opt to use Mental Strength (assuming it's generally available and doesn't require Trained by a Master or Weapon Master), as that is usable for a wide variety of magical tools of this nature. A typical warrior will probably use Mental Strength for it (again, assuming no prerequisites) - even with Will and DX at equal levels, getting an Easy skill like Mental Strength up to a reliable level is cheaper than getting an Average one like Polearm Art, and they aren't going to have Polearm skill high enough to reliably default from. Basically, for a character with both Will and DX at 10, Polearm-12 [8] and Mental Strength-12 [4] is easier to come by than Polearm-12 [8] and Polearm Art-12 [8]... although with our desert elves having an average DX of 11 and Will 10, I'd imagine they'll be more inclined toward Polearm Art than Mental Strength.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding