Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Tori1332

Default Create, Telekinesis and Collision

I want to create an attack that uses create advantage to create a metal ball and hurl it at the opponent using Telekinesis, but i am having trouble with finding the speed for the collision damage equation. I will probably have create 4 and tk 21 and i may use some levels of super effort in some levels of tk if 21 is not enough.
Tori1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Create, Telekinesis and Collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
I want to create an attack that uses create advantage to create a metal ball and hurl it at the opponent using Telekinesis, but i am having trouble with finding the speed for the collision damage equation. I will probably have create 4 and tk 21 and i may use some levels of super effort in some levels of tk if 21 is not enough.
To get collision damage figure the HP of the ball from it's weight (how much you can create, in this case 160 lbs or 44 HP) and then multiply that by your TK level (which is both it's ST and Move level). In order to hurl it you're going to need a higher TK level or take two rounds to lift it, once lifted you could hurl it up to x0.8 it's Move (or 16) because your TK is under Light encumbrance. So three actions, one to create, two to hurl, damage would be about 8d-3 of crushing damage.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Why not just buy an Innate Attack - perhaps as an Alternate Ability to the TK or Create?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Why not just buy an Innate Attack - perhaps as an Alternate Ability to the TK or Create?
Because he can also make sharp objects to deal piercing/impaling damage if he wants, as well as the ability to shotgun targets, or even pack explosives into projectiles.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Ejidoth

While this approach will generally work for slow-ish very heavy objects, consider buying TK bullet (from GURPS Psionic Powers) as an alternate ability to TK, and maybe pick up its techniques (Sharp Edge, Flat Edge, Rapid Fire, Silencer).

The player can easily use Create beforehand to make a bunch of tiny metal spheres for ammo.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Because he can also make sharp objects to deal piercing/impaling damage if he wants, as well as the ability to shotgun targets, or even pack explosives into projectiles.
So you've got a bunch of AAs. (In fact, that situation is pretty much why Alt Attacks was invented...) Or a Modular Ability.

If you just want regular throwing, then take Throwing skill (or Throwing Art) and check the Throwing rules on B355. Damage is based on weight and TK level (ST), not the collision rules. Also Thrown Weapon for each type of weapon -- including those sharp objects. "Weapons" are called out separately, but alas there aren't a lot of guidelines for figuring the damage for non-blunt objects not already on a weapon table somewhere.

Seems a bit munchkinly to claim that TK lets you have an IA with any sort of damage type, area, and/or RoF bonuses you like for free. Even ordinary TK uses are already pretty powerful for the points. In this case, "TK" is just the fluff explanation for why you have an IA, much like saying "magic". That's a power source, not an ability.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
So you've got a bunch of AAs. (In fact, that situation is pretty much why Alt Attacks was invented...) Or a Modular Ability.

If you just want regular throwing, then take Throwing skill (or Throwing Art) and check the Throwing rules on B355. Damage is based on weight and TK level (ST), not the collision rules. Also Thrown Weapon for each type of weapon -- including those sharp objects. "Weapons" are called out separately, but alas there aren't a lot of guidelines for figuring the damage for non-blunt objects not already on a weapon table somewhere.

Seems a bit munchkinly to claim that TK lets you have an IA with any sort of damage type, area, and/or RoF bonuses you like for free. Even ordinary TK uses are already pretty powerful for the points. In this case, "TK" is just the fluff explanation for why you have an IA, much like saying "magic". That's a power source, not an ability.
Except that the OP is ALSO buying Create 4, and simply moving a massive object at the target. Effectively, he's doing Slam damage with 160lbs of matter at Move 16. And since Charging allows you to substitute Slam damage instead of ST damage if it would be better, having his mass of pain Charge instead of being properly thrown makes sense.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Except that the OP is ... simply moving a massive object at the target.
That's covered by the basic throwing rules. (You can't throw very heavy objects effectively unless you're really strong.) The collision rules might be relevant if the character isn't actually propelling the object -- say he pulls chocks out from under a boulder on the mountainside with TK, or uses Create to drop rocks on the target.

The rest of my point about giving away the store is mostly directed at this suggestion not in the OP:
Quote:
I disagree that a character should be able to do all those things with just TK and Create.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I disagree that a character should be able to do all those things with just TK and Create.
Yeah, probably not. "Create produces bulk matter, not specific shapes..."
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
That's covered by the basic throwing rules. (You can't throw very heavy objects effectively unless you're really strong.) The collision rules might be relevant if the character isn't actually propelling the object -- say he pulls chocks out from under a boulder on the mountainside with TK, or uses Create to drop rocks on the target.
So, you would have the same mass of the same material moving at the same speed do different damage depending on whether it was the character's TK or the force of gravity moving it? How does that make sense?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision damage, create, super strength, telekinesis