Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Jason

Default Customizing the Revelations Cycle

I'm planning on running some selected stories from the Revelations Cycle for my next few adventures. I feel like I need to make some adjustments, though, as some of these stories have a lot of background info, but not a lot of explanation of how to deliver this info to player characters. I'm hoping some other folks here have run or played some of these adventures and might be able to share how it went (or at least that anyone might be willing to comment on the direction I'm thinking of taking).

So, starting with the Demon Prince of Rock 'n' Roll, here are some things I am considering adjusting or changing:

The name. My players always ask what the name of the adventure is before we start playing. I may just call this "Night Music" to avoid spoilers.

The number of NPCs. My players will not be able to keep track of all the colorful characters offered in Night Music, so I'm just focusing on the core seven of the "Austin Clique" (Druiel, Tomas, Zara, Lauren, Hugo, Wrench, and the Old Guy). Side plots with other local seneschals and characters in Austin probably won't come up (though I may throw in a background detail about the guy who witnessed the genocide abroad for foreshadowing purposes when we get to the Final Trumpet).

The hook. Currently, the adventure as written suggests you get the PCs involved by having Wrenchial looking for folks to do him a favor, and Zara vouching for him. This won't fly for my group; one is a Malakite of Judgment, and the whole group has already met one too many angels they can't trust. They will resonate on Wrench, learn his true name, use attunements and Songs to figure out who he is, and sooner or later, determine he is a demon (and probably try to kill him). I think it might be "later," though, if "doing him a favor" isn't the main reason they agree to guard the band. As such, I think the (nominal) reason the PCs will be in town will be that the lead singer of Stool has an especially bright Destiny, and this music festival may set her on that path. This particular event may be important in securing Israfel a promotion to Archangel, as well, they're told (just so it will be even more twisted when the real coronation of a new Superior may turn out to be a Demon Prince). I may still have Wrench ask the PCs for help guarding the band, but at least this will jibe with what they were already planning to do.

The back story. I'm not changing anything about the back story -- that is, the bits about how Lucifer grants boons and how Furfur wants to summon Lucifer using a legendary song -- but I feel like I need some way to impart this info to the players before the end of the adventure, so it doesn't feel like it's coming out of nowhere when Lucifer shows up and Furfur asks to be made a Prince. Any suggestions? (I'm not even sure how common this knowledge is outside Hell, and I have a hard time picturing a demon getting through the whole story without getting killed by the Malakite, unless the Malakite is actively interrogating him at the point of a Fiery Sword.)

A different perspective on demons. If my PCs are intent upon killing every demon they can, I won't stop them. I think it might lead to more complex and interesting plots and themes in the future, though, if I can help them understand that "low contrast" works both ways: Just as there are some angels who have tried to kill them, there are some demons who might be decent to hang out with. Austin seems like the perfect place to demonstrate this. Wrench has already done something to help Tomas (potentially before the PCs even arrive), but I'd love to have him or some other demon do something to help (or even somehow save) the PCs -- and still show no signs of seeking redemption. The first idea that comes to mind is that they may see Lauren or Wrench step in to stop Druiel from doing something insane, but other ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input or recollections from your own game!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
JCD

Default Re: Customizing the Revelations Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The name. My players always ask what the name of the adventure is before we start playing. I may just call this "Night Music" to avoid spoilers.
Why are you giving it a name at all?

Quote:
The number of NPCs. My players will not be able to keep track of all the colorful characters offered in Night Music, so I'm just focusing on the core seven of the "Austin Clique" (Druiel, Tomas, Zara, Lauren, Hugo, Wrench, and the Old Guy). Side plots with other local seneschals and characters in Austin probably won't come up (though I may throw in a background detail about the guy who witnessed the genocide abroad for foreshadowing purposes when we get to the Final Trumpet).
I don't see this as a problem. They meet who they meet and you have a good set of background characters if they branch out into other directions.

Quote:
The hook. Currently, the adventure as written suggests you get the PCs involved by having Wrenchial looking for folks to do him a favor, and Zara vouching for him. This won't fly for my group; one is a Malakite of Judgment, and the whole group has already met one too many angels they can't trust. They will resonate on Wrench, learn his true name, use attunements and Songs to figure out who he is, and sooner or later, determine he is a demon (and probably try to kill him). I think it might be "later," though, if "doing him a favor" isn't the main reason they agree to guard the band. As such, I think the (nominal) reason the PCs will be in town will be that the lead singer of Stool has an especially bright Destiny, and this music festival may set her on that path. This particular event may be important in securing Israfel a promotion to Archangel, as well, they're told (just so it will be even more twisted when the real coronation of a new Superior may turn out to be a Demon Prince). I may still have Wrench ask the PCs for help guarding the band, but at least this will jibe with what they were already planning to do.
After the first attack, they will be asking nay, begging Wrench to guard the group...which works for me...

Quote:
The back story. I'm not changing anything about the back story -- that is, the bits about how Lucifer grants boons and how Furfur wants to summon Lucifer using a legendary song -- but I feel like I need some way to impart this info to the players before the end of the adventure, so it doesn't feel like it's coming out of nowhere when Lucifer shows up and Furfur asks to be made a Prince. Any suggestions? (I'm not even sure how common this knowledge is outside Hell, and I have a hard time picturing a demon getting through the whole story without getting killed by the Malakite, unless the Malakite is actively interrogating him at the point of a Fiery Sword.)
How about a Renegade? Even a Judge with the right oath will have to treat them with a bit more circumspection. That only requires one additional NPC. Sort of a snitch that Judges use. And he has to kill them ONLY if left to himself...See that he doesn't
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Why are you giving it a name at all?
Because I always do, and my players ask what the name is right before we start. Sort of tradition, I guess.

Quote:
I don't see this as a problem. They meet who they meet and you have a good set of background characters if they branch out into other directions.
True.

Quote:
How about a Renegade? Even a Judge with the right oath will have to treat them with a bit more circumspection. That only requires one additional NPC. Sort of a snitch that Judges use. And he has to kill them ONLY if left to himself...See that he doesn't
Maybe, though I feel like that part of what makes the Austin characters so interesting in their relationship is that they're not rebelling from the established order (well, except Furfur, I guess). It's just a bunch of folks who are doing their jobs, and happen to be on opposite sides of a war. It simultaneously reminds me of the "Christmas truce" between British and German soldiers in WWI, and that old cartoon with a sheepdog and a wolf who greet each other amiably in the morning, punch the clock, and spend the rest of the work day trying to screw each other over.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
How about a Renegade? Even a Judge with the right oath will have to treat them with a bit more circumspection.
*ponder*

Dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Have one of the nicer demons hand them a Redemption-bait Renegade. Either pick someone amusing from the IN Collection, or. If you can wiggle the backstory to suit this. Hand them Mira. Yes, present them with a Redemption-bait Lilim, one of those rare possibilities, and she's all theirs, she's been handed over by an Austin demon who "doesn't want her to get hurt," and they need to get her to safety before the Game figures out she's there, and hopefully identify which Archangel can and should be given the job.

If I recall correctly, this will totally wonk up the FotM backstory for her, but it would also tie the group rather personally to what goes down later, no?

Edit: And if Mira's there in Austin because it is so much "just doing our jobs," and the whole truce thing, it's not like she's a native who's rebelling against that punchclock-evil thing. She's just looking for a place where she can, oh, hey, talk to someone who might not smite her too fast.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
*ponder*

Dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Have one of the nicer demons hand them a Redemption-bait Renegade. Either pick someone amusing from the IN Collection, or. If you can wiggle the backstory to suit this. Hand them Mira. Yes, present them with a Redemption-bait Lilim, one of those rare possibilities, and she's all theirs, she's been handed over by an Austin demon who "doesn't want her to get hurt," and they need to get her to safety before the Game figures out she's there, and hopefully identify which Archangel can and should be given the job.

If I recall correctly, this will totally wonk up the FotM backstory for her, but it would also tie the group rather personally to what goes down later, no?

Edit: And if Mira's there in Austin because it is so much "just doing our jobs," and the whole truce thing, it's not like she's a native who's rebelling against that punchclock-evil thing. She's just looking for a place where she can, oh, hey, talk to someone who might not smite her too fast.
Truth in advertising: You are an angel. Thank you for this.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Truth in advertising: You are an angel. Thank you for this.
*beth sweeps a bow* I bet your players will, eventually, think me more of a Demon Princess, but I can live with that. >;D Glad to be helpful!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
*ponder*

Dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
I'm sorry. Is that a good 'dude' or a bad 'dude'?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Jason

Quote:
I'm sorry. Is that a good 'dude' or a bad 'dude'?
I took it as a "Dude, listen to THIS" rather than a "Dude, what are you thinking?" but I'm receptive to either as needed.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
I took it as a "Dude, listen to THIS" rather than a "Dude, what are you thinking?" but I'm receptive to either as needed.
My interpretation, too. "Oh, man. Oh, maaaaaan, wait til you hear what that just made me think of ....."

(For the record, a cartoonist friend of mine has drawn up a 16-or-so-panel comic where the only word in each panel is "Dude" ... and each use is unique in meaning.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

It's the "HEY, HEYYYYY! Check this idea out for Evil GMing Potential!" kind of Duuuuuuuuuude! O:D Riffing on "give them a Renegade" to "give them a Renegade who will (potentially) figure into later adventures, and provide a hook for dragging them into that plotline.

I don't think I do a chastising "dude." It's just not how I've imprinted on the word. *beth ponders* Yeah, I'm more likely to use it as "Oh, hey, cooooool" or "okay, that's cool -- and take it a step further, and..."

Tags
adventures, austin, furfur, revelation cycle, revelations cycle, tips