Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #41
capnq

Default Re: What is a good challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Q: How many Kobolds can a naked 20th level fighter with an ordinary sword defeat?
A: Lots. Lots and lots and lots.
Boy, does this bring back memories. :-)

I particularly recall a 3rd level fighter who died fighting one-on-one with a single kobold. I'd never seen dice turn on someone so harshly.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #42
nik1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
... A 4th level bard is supposed to be an even match with a Skeletal Chimera....
its actually 4 PCs to a CR, that means 4 PCs (bards, clerics, wizards, sorcerers) are a match for a CR 4 creature. Under Challenge Rating and Encounters.

Instead of CRs being levels, use it as a guideline for point vs point ratio of survivability.

Example.
a 1/2 CR* should be 1/3 of 25+10*cp, 12cp of combat skills.
*Typical Mook in DnD
**Average Character in GURPS

6cp of combat abilities = CR 1/4
8cp of combat abilities = CR 1/3
12cp of combat abilities = CR 1/2
25cp of combat abilities = CR 1

Encounter Levels
4 PCs with an average of 25cp in combat related abilities should be a match for.
- 1x 25cp in combat abilities.
- 2x 12cp in combat abilities.
- 3x 8cp in combat abilities.
- 4x 6cp in combat abilities.
- 5-6x 4cp in combat abilities.

The GM should judge if the Points spent are optimized, if not, give a multiplier penalty from any where from x0.9 to x0.x7 to the Point value.

then there is encounter difficulty, from easy, easy if handled properly challenging, very difficult and overpowering.

A little bit of tweeks and you can make it ready for gurps for a quick and easy combat guide. Although It would be better to have some templates already involved. That way the GMs can see what was expected to be used with this GURPS encounter guide so that they can make considerations in irregularities.

i'll try to make one down the line, since i already have 20+ realistic combat templates for my GURPS: Byzantium. And being realistic i don't have alot of unsuallities to figure in to the tables like supernatural stuff or magic.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #43
Talonxlll

For the army of Kobolds, I know its not really "20th level warrior", but for 750 points...

100 Unkillable 2, 150 Regeneration (Extreme), 40 Regrowth, 10 Indestructable bones (Injury tolerance, Powers). [300]

DR 50 [250]

200 points into whatever you want from there, and you're pretty much set for anything other than a black hole, being tossed into a sun, or any other cosmicly deadly event, if that means being stoned to death while naked from kobolds.
Talonxlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #44
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979
its actually 4 PCs to a CR, that means 4 PCs (bards, clerics, wizards, sorcerers) are a match for a CR 4 creature. Under Challenge Rating and Encounters.

Instead of CRs being levels, use it as a guideline for point vs point ratio of survivability.

Example.
a 1/2 CR* should be 1/3 of 25+10*cp, 12cp of combat skills.
*Typical Mook in DnD
**Average Character in GURPS

6cp of combat abilities = CR 1/4
8cp of combat abilities = CR 1/3
12cp of combat abilities = CR 1/2
25cp of combat abilities = CR 1

Encounter Levels
4 PCs with an average of 25cp in combat related abilities should be a match for.
- 1x 25cp in combat abilities.
- 2x 12cp in combat abilities.
- 3x 8cp in combat abilities.
- 4x 6cp in combat abilities.
- 5-6x 4cp in combat abilities.

The GM should judge if the Points spent are optimized, if not, give a multiplier penalty from any where from x0.9 to x0.x7 to the Point value.

then there is encounter difficulty, from easy, easy if handled properly challenging, very difficult and overpowering.

A little bit of tweeks and you can make it ready for gurps for a quick and easy combat guide. Although It would be better to have some templates already involved. That way the GMs can see what was expected to be used with this GURPS encounter guide so that they can make considerations in irregularities.

i'll try to make one down the line, since i already have 20+ realistic combat templates for my GURPS: Byzantium. And being realistic i don't have alot of unsuallities to figure in to the tables like supernatural stuff or magic.
I know that. Tell it to the guy running the game!
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
challenge, d&d, gm advice, kromm answer