Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
lachimba

Default Gun for a MH Commando

I am thinking a RPK-74 or HK21E.

Both seem to have enough ACC, ROF and damage to get through most of the enemies. Equally both use ammo that is (fairly) common and can be used in a lot of other guns. in the RPKs case the mags can be used in the other AK74s. including the ultra suppressed TOZ AKS-74UB, which makes it a great gun to have to pull out for the big fight and stil have common mags/ammo for the day to day rifle.

Alternative is to go really large with something like a kord or even a cut down 20mm rifle, weight is an issue with the 1st and ammo capacity with the 2nd.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Hannes665

Default Re: Gun for a MH Commando

Any assault rifle should including larger caliber rifles like the G3 series. For any 5.56 rifle that accepts M16 mags 75 and 100 round mags exist. Note they can lower reliability for thse weapons.

Also beltfed guns like fn minimi are option.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
Any assault rifle should including larger caliber rifles like the G3 series. For any 5.56 rifle that accepts M16 mags 75 and 100 round mags exist. Note they can lower reliability for thse weapons.

Also beltfed guns like fn minimi are option.
When you can reload as a free action why are large capacity mags an issue? I find going for a 7.62 for the higher damage makes sense to me.

I guess it matters if you are going dual weapons.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I am thinking a RPK-74 or HK21E.

Both seem to have enough ACC, ROF and damage to get through most of the enemies. Equally both use ammo that is (fairly) common and can be used in a lot of other guns. in the RPKs case the mags can be used in the other AK74s. including the ultra suppressed TOZ AKS-74UB, which makes it a great gun to have to pull out for the big fight and stil have common mags/ammo for the day to day rifle.
During the High Tech palytest we made up loadouts for theoretical characters just to try and find what was missing.

One of mine was a "Werewolf Hunter" (and this is why there's a leather long coat in HT). I didn't go military. It's conspicuous even when it's not illegal but more to the point CQB with things that are stronger and faster than you plus being supernaturally resistant to damage is not clever.

Unless you're the heir to a mystic warrior tradition and have Kewl Powerz you have to outhink the monsters. Special ammo is a major part of this. If off the shelf copper-jacketed lead will do the job why does there need to be a specially trained and equipped hunter?

So I went big game hunter with the most powerful hunting rifle I could find backed up by big revolver both with silver ammo. I think there was a lever-action 30-30 for mid-range work. If not that a pump-action shotgun. Very definitely with loading gear for all weapons.

So, be prepared and shoot from a distance wherever possible. If large volumes of lead will solve the problem it's probably someone else's problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Kalzazz

I like the Browning Automatic Rifle
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Dewey

For what it's worth, FN makes a 7.62 Nato version of the Minimi.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
mlangsdorf

The point of being a Commando is that you're an all-arounder, equally capable with every weapon. I don't think it's a great idea to optimize a Commando for a specific weapon, because the weapon itself because a compromise (between weight, ammo capability, etc). Instead, the Commando should have a bunch of weapons, and choose the appropriate ones for the mission.

Usually, I'd go with
* Frenchi SPAS or Bernelli M3T Super 90 - semi/pump shotguns. Automatic rifles are better, but you can be pulled over by a cop with a shotgun in your trunk and not have to go to jail. Also, you can fire more exotic ammo from shotguns.
* AI AWM .338 - The big gun sniper rifle, but lighter than a full .50 Barrett. Nearly as the same damage, half the weight.
* FN MK16 MOD0 SCAR - 1 gun, lots of options. Damage is a little low but more bullets accurately placed helps overcome that. Again, this is for a Commando, so accurate fire is the order of the day.
* H&K UMP .40 S&W - SMGs aren't nearly as good as assault rifles, but they're a little easier to conceal. .40 is Pi+, so it's slightly better for shooting undead than 9mm. Getting this gun in the .40 S&W version means its compatible with your backup pistols, which should also be .40 S&W.

Last edited by mlangsdorf; 07-29-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
For what it's worth, FN makes a 7.62 Nato version of the Minimi.
In service as the Mk48....well, its kissing cousin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_48_machine_gun

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Novembermike

I'm thinking at least three weapons. A holdout weapon, a legal weapon that you can carry around in a car without arousing suspicion and a full combat weapon.

Holdout:
Imo the best bet is a Kahr K40. Full sized round, light weight and the low ammo isn't an issue because you can make every shot count and reload quickly if you need to.

Legal:
There are a few ways to go with this. A magnum caliber handgun allows you to conceal a full sized weapon easily. A shotgun can be easily explained in most areas and they're relatively good weapons at a close range iirc. The other major option is a hunting rifle, and these can do serious amounts of damage at a long range. With your ability to reload quickly they're probably almost as good as an assault rifle.

Combat:
The go to here is going to be a FN FAL or similar. You've got 7d of piercing damage, you have good range and you get 21 shots. A close range fighter might prefer an SMG while a sniper might have a M82.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novembermike View Post
I'm thinking at least three weapons. A holdout weapon, a legal weapon that you can carry around in a car without arousing suspicion and a full combat weapon.

Holdout:
Imo the best bet is a Kahr K40. Full sized round, light weight and the low ammo isn't an issue because you can make every shot count and reload quickly if you need to.

Legal:
There are a few ways to go with this. A magnum caliber handgun allows you to conceal a full sized weapon easily. A shotgun can be easily explained in most areas and they're relatively good weapons at a close range iirc. The other major option is a hunting rifle, and these can do serious amounts of damage at a long range. With your ability to reload quickly they're probably almost as good as an assault rifle.

Combat:
The go to here is going to be a FN FAL or similar. You've got 7d of piercing damage, you have good range and you get 21 shots. A close range fighter might prefer an SMG while a sniper might have a M82.
With the commando's gun! skill holding out is not that big a deal, he can take a penalty and still be better than anyone else in the group at carrying concealed.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, high-tech, monster hunters, tactical shooting