Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
jimmylogan

Default Re: Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Would these work for Gaslands? I have it ordered, but the only other minis game I've ever played is X-Wing. No 'scenery' there, so I don't have the 40k bits and buildings and such that others do...
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
Melkhior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan View Post
Would these work for Gaslands?
For any other game other than CW it's purely a scale issue. I like the classic scale (1" = 15') because you can have a decent arena or track on a not-too-big table. 3D printing a track at this scale doesn't take too much time or material. For larger scale - it's going to take a *lot* of effort to print anything playable. But it's certainly possible in theory.

My understanding is that people playing 3x scale (the 5th edition scale, 1"=5') in 3D create the scenery by hand, using traditional modeling techniques (foam, wood, ...).
Melkhior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
Suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkhior View Post
For any other game other than CW it's purely a scale issue. I like the classic scale (1" = 15') because you can have a decent arena or track on a not-too-big table. 3D printing a track at this scale doesn't take too much time or material. For larger scale - it's going to take a *lot* of effort to print anything playable. But it's certainly possible in theory.

My understanding is that people playing 3x scale (the 5th edition scale, 1"=5') in 3D create the scenery by hand, using traditional modeling techniques (foam, wood, ...).
You could do Classic scale by hand, too. It's basically the same as N-scale model trains. (Classic is 25.4 mm to 15 feet, N-scale is a bit fuzzy, but most American and European models are 28.6 mm to 15 feet, and most UK models are 30 mm to 15 feet.)
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
Melkhior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
You could do Classic scale by hand, too.
I'm sure a lot of people can; *I* definitely do not have the skills :-(
I need a computer to help me.

Quote:
It's basically the same as N-scale model trains.
Isn't N-scale 1:160 vs. Classic 1:180 ? I would say N-scale would be noticeably bigger ? Haven't seen N-scale in a while, though (and I was a HO-scale kid anyway :-) ).
Old 02-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkhior View Post
Isn't N-scale 1:160 vs. Classic 1:180 ? I would say N-scale would be noticeably bigger ? Haven't seen N-scale in a while, though (and I was a HO-scale kid anyway :-) ).
N-scale is *just* a bit too long for _CW_ -- a typical car is 1&1/4" long.

There's architectural-model-supply placed which offer 1/200-scale cars and such; supply and variety may be limited.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #16
Suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
N-scale is *just* a bit too long for _CW_ -- a typical car is 1&1/4" long.

There's architectural-model-supply placed which offer 1/200-scale cars and such; supply and variety may be limited.
That's true, but I was talking about terrain. If you used N-scale scenery pieces, for your 1-inch car models, no one would ever notice that the scenery was a pinch too big. Well, maybe if you were an architectural modeller, working with buildings and cars in scale all day at work, but the vast majority of us would never notice. Then you could just source or make 1" car models, save a fortune on weirdly scaled scenery pieces and be happy.
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 AM   #17
Melkhior

Quote:
That's true, but I was talking about terrain. If you used N-scale scenery pieces, for your 1-inch car models, no one would ever notice that the scenery was a pinch too big.
Probably. I've looked for 3D-printable N-scale stuff I could integrate, but couldn't find much. They might work w/o rescaling, and could be rescaled by 8:9 anyway before integrating them in the road/track tiles (I'm still sticking with 3D printing :-) )

I've changed my tiles to use procedurally-generated PNGs instead of Inkscape. You can generate any road/track width you want now (I'm still generating 2" for easier, faster printing).
Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #18
ammulder

Let me know if you'd like me to add your Car Wars OpenLOCK tiles to http://studio.dungeonprint.com/ -- it's my app for mapping out RPG dungeons/villages/etc. using this kind of tiles. No reason you couldn't map out an arena, too. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
Melkhior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Let me know if you'd like me to add your Car Wars OpenLOCK tiles to http://studio.dungeonprint.com/ -- it's my app for mapping out RPG dungeons/villages/etc. using this kind of tiles. No reason you couldn't map out an arena, too. :)
That would be awesome :-)

Tiles are still a work-in-progress though, they might change again. Is that a problem ?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #20
ammulder

It takes some time to render the STLs and massage them into the right level of detail for the browser... so I won't be able to keep up with constant change. I don't mind doing a pass now or whenever you think it's at a good point and then updating them again at some later time when they're "done." Or you can group them into "sets" and point me to each set as it's finalized and you move on to other pieces. Whatever works.

Are the latest ones in the GitHub repo you posted earlier?
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote