Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Jeweler and Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I'd have thought Jeweler would be important in the Mad Lands, with their gem-injection sorcery, but it's actually one of the banned skills - they're too low-tech, I guess.
Gem-injection sorcery is entirely the preserve of the Deathless, who are weird insane weakly-godlike posthuman NPCs. No PC in that setting (as written) would ever know a thing about it. And in any case, gem-injection sorcerers don't create jewellery for display; they pulverise and prepare gemstones for hypodermic injection.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Eukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Or professional Skills.
Professional skills is perhaps not the best comparison, since Professional Skill doesn't really try to encompass professions (c.f. Crewman), and I believe Kromm noted that it's more of a generic placeholder for "Average Skill" much in the way that Hobby Skill is a placeholder for any necessary easy skill, and Expert Skill is a placeholder for any necessary hard skill[1]. There's also basically no guarantee that Professional Skills default to one another. Specialties in GURPS are just skills, but they tend to be grouped under a single heading for convenience and similarity, which often implies defaults.

[1] Although rules-wise, Expert Skill doesn't actually work as a generic hard skill.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
[1] Although rules-wise, Expert Skill doesn't actually work as a generic hard skill.
There's two parts to that:

The first is skills that are about a broad field of expertise following the framework rules for Expert Skills. There's potential for lots of those.

Then there's skills that GURPS simply doesn't have, for whatever reason, that are Hard because they require considerable training. That's where you add a new skill that doesn't follow the Expert Skill framework rules.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
DanHoward

To make things more confusing, most of the skills used for making mail armour are a lot more closely related to jewellery than smithing.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
Refplace

Sounds like a Craft skill would be a nice article forPyramid
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
To make things more confusing, most of the skills used for making mail armour are a lot more closely related to jewellery than smithing.
As in lots of detailed finger work rather than full range arm motions? Those are the main differences between Jeweler and Smith in my mind.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:37 AM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
As in lots of detailed finger work rather than full range arm motions? Those are the main differences between Jeweler and Smith in my mind.
Smith makes rugged tools that to handle use.
Jewellery makes autmentation that don't designed to resist damage.

Making iron wire ring that meant to handed the blow of a weapon and designed a silver chain designed to look pretty and maybe hold an amulet is technically similar but practically different to do.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Smith makes rugged tools that to handle use.
Jewellery makes autmentation that don't designed to resist damage.
Regardless of the standard English meanings of the words ("jewelry," for example, includes making ornaments of any durable material, although "jewel" is also a synonym for "gemstone"), the GURPS definitions are quite explicit: Smith is the skill of working with non-precious metals; Jeweler is the skill of working with precious metals, though it also can be used to identify a gem. There does not seem to be a Lapidary skill, though conceivably it could be a required specialization of Artist. On the other hand, the people who make objects of gold and silver are also likely to add precious or semiprecious stones to them.

By the technical definition, making delicate bronze or even lead objects would be Smith, and making big clunky silver objects would be Jeweler. Unless, I supposed, you were making a silver weapon, which would be Armoury. Armoury at TL1 defaults to Smith (Bronze) and at TL2-4 to Smith (Iron), so as a GM I would allow making a silver sword to default to Jeweler—perhaps with a bigger penalty as silver is not so well suited to making weapons.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, jeweler, skill of the week, smith