Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Dormouse Adventurer

I decided I wanted to make an anthropomorphic dormouse character. I wasn't sure what all I needed to do, so I decided to write him up as if he were a human adventurer and then ask for help in scaling down, as it were.

Quote:
Nathan Daniel Dormeus, Dormouse Dungeoneer

Attributes and Characteristics[155]
ST 10
DX 12 [40]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 15 [50]

HP 10
Per 12 [-5]
Wil 14 [5]
FP 15

Basic Speed 7.00[5]
Basic Move 7

Advantages[94]:
Combat Reflexes[15]
Double-Jointed[15]
Deep Sleeper[1]
Enhanced Dodge 1[15]
Magery 0[5]
Named Weapon: Fetch the Magic Boomerang[1]
Signature Gear: Fetch the Magic Boomerang[1]
Signature Gear: Adventurer's Pack of Hoarding[1]
Weapon Master (All Throwing Weapons)[40]

Disadvantages[-25]:
Honesty(15)[-5]
Lecherous(15)(Availability: Only on nubile, mateless females at least 5 SM larger than self, -50%)[-3]
Susceptible(Sleep-Inducing Effects), -8 to resist[?]
Truthfulness(9)[-7]
Vow: Own No More Than Can Be Carried[-10]

Quirks[-4]:
Devout Roman Catholic[-1]
Fur Tastes of Candy[-1]
Fond of Alliteration, Puns, and Rhyme[-1]
Cannot Learn Spells[-1]

Skills[48]:
Acrobatics(DX)[4]-12
Artist(Digital)(IQ-2)[1]-11
Armoury(Melee Weapons)/TL~fantasy[1]-12
Brawling(DX+2)[4]-14
Climbing(DX+4)[1]-16
Computer Operation/TL~fantasy(IQ)[1]-13
Escape(DX+3)[1]-15
Hiking(HT-1)[1]-14
Housekeeping(IQ)[1]-13
Lockpicking(IQ-1)[2]-12
Scrounging(Per+1)[2]-13
Search(Per-1)[1]-11
Shield(DX+2)[4]-14
Stealth(DX-1)[1]-12
Survival(Domestic)(Per-1)[1]-11
Throwing Art(DX+4)[20]-16
Wrestling(DX-1)[1]-11
Writing(IQ-1)[1]-12
So that's a 268-point adventure hero with only -30/-4 disadvantages so far; he's even better than the DF characters I always think are too powerful for starters.

Some things about what I'm aiming at:
- Definitely has the fur, tail, and head shape of a normal dormouse.
- His fur is hot pink in coloration, if that might matter in some way.
- 7cm tall; not sure what SM this will leave him at, but it will make him very much weaker in the strength department.
- As appropriate, add other advantages derived from being small (Double-Jointed is already part of this thought process actually).
- Don't know the pricing of reversing that Resistant. But being sleepy is the trait that gives his race its very name!
- He can hibernate.

I may have vastly underpriced his Signature Gear. Its main effect is that it is a boomerang with Loyal Weapon and allowed to get upgraded as he does, but it can also be used like an extra arm for flipping switches or grabbing loose items off of enemies.

The TL is Fantasy. Basically, it's one of those schizotech settings where any item other than modern firearms can appear, people are fairly well-off because of all the magic and stuff, and there's no cross-TL penalties for using stuff of various styles. I think TL5's $5,000 Typical Starting Wealth sounds good off the top of my head.

Standard Adventurer's Pack of Hoarding is starting equipment for any adventure-hero in this setting and to be perfectly honest most fantasy games I've really cared about. It holds an arbitrary amount of stuff (beginning loaded out as the standard pack in DF Loadouts) without worry of encumberance, can't be permanently separated from its owner, and turns invisible on command.

I'll answer any other questions if they come up.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Dormouse Adventurer

In my sig, there's a link to The Little People, which, at the end, has stuff for mouse people. Might help
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Walrus

Quote:
- Definitely has the fur, tail, and head shape of a normal dormouse.
These are features usually. Though Fur is viable perk as prerequisite to Temperature Tolerance and a little of DR and prevents sunburn. Tail may be perk if it can manipulate little things or be used to Gesture. Or a quirk if it interferes with armour somehow.
Quote:
- His fur is hot pink in coloration, if that might matter in some way.
This may be Distinctive Feature quirk unless it's common among them.
Quote:
- 7cm tall; not sure what SM this will leave him at, but it will make him very much weaker in the strength department.
This is SM -8 or -9. And even Pixies from DF which have SM -6 have ST -5 on racial template. Even if this particular adventurer is somewhat like of Swashbuckler, he has +6-7 ST from his racial one. Though this is affordable for him.
Quote:
- As appropriate, add other advantages derived from being small (Double-Jointed is already part of this thought process actually).
There are several posts and even a little article about realistic and possible ads and disads for non-zero SM. I think Bruno could give link to them
Quote:
- Don't know the pricing of reversing that Resistant. But being sleepy is the trait that gives his race its very name!
- He can hibernate.
What about Sleepy racial trait?
And Sleep effects might be Occasional in supernatural setting though you can't take more than five levels anyway.

Don't forget that damage bonuses from Weapon Master and Throwing Art don't stack. Though WM has other benefits.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
These are features usually. Though Fur is viable perk as prerequisite to Temperature Tolerance and a little of DR and prevents sunburn. Tail may be perk if it can manipulate little things or be used to Gesture. Or a quirk if it interferes with armour somehow.
This one was generally easy enough; I've built lots of furry characters before, I was just very tired when I got around to starting working on this.

Does a level of Born Biter seem appropriate? Maybe some Striking ST for bites only? Rodents generally seem to be pretty darn good about biting stuff.

Quote:
This may be Distinctive Feature quirk unless it's common among them.
Yeah, that sounds very right. Unnatural Feature for a level or several. I'm starting to think his Lecherous may be more of a Quirk aimed at finding a long-term mate couple with a preference for large women.

Quote:
This is SM -8 or -9. And even Pixies from DF which have SM -6 have ST -5 on racial template. Even if this particular adventurer is somewhat like of Swashbuckler, he has +6-7 ST from his racial one. Though this is affordable for him.
I think I'll go with SM-8 and give him a couple levels of Huge Weapons so that he can use acquired pixie gear when need be; his scaled-down boomerang will plink against most defenses.

He's supposed to be similar to a swashbuckler or general dungeon guy (a bit of thief stuff and able to use fireball wands and whatnot when needed), though his broad-based weapon preference makes him quite knight-like in that regard.

For strength though, I was aiming at "normal for his size, plus the usual faerie improvements as needed for gameable abstraction." I just wasn't sure how low it was going to need to go.

Quote:
What about Sleepy racial trait?
Quote:
And Sleep effects might be Occasional in supernatural setting though you can't take more than five levels anyway.
I have a hard time looking traits up sometimes. I was just figuring that Susceptible worked like Resistant in reverse, with only +3/+8/Immune and -3/-8/No Save. At only -5, he isn't really particularly easy to put to sleep since that's HT15/Will 14 at -5, for 10 and 9 depending on the source of attack; it makes him only the tiniest bit easier to subdue that way than a normal human. That resistance penalty is a racial thing anyway, maybe he should be as good as a human with how resilient he is in other ways.

EDIT: Looking it up, Susceptible says it's only for HT rolls. Would it be right to take it as a separate disadvantage for Will rolls to resist hypnosis and mind-based sleep-inducers as well as those based on health?

Quote:
Don't forget that damage bonuses from Weapon Master and Throwing Art don't stack. Though WM has other benefits.
Don't worry, I remembered that right enough. The Weapon Master is giving other benefits though; he can wield any throwable weapon on the melee weapon tables in melee at DX-1 if Easy (knives), DX-2 if Average (axes, spears, and boomerang with Shortsword), and DX-3 if Hard (bolas used with Flail).

These weapons get the other Weapon Master bonuses as usual, and if he buys the skills for these things down the line he gets their damage bonuses on those skills. And he'll almost always be rolling melee attacks with large bonuses for the relative size of the target.

It just doesn't cover the missile weapons or the non-throwable melee weapons, hence the 40 point cost (I had been thinking about 35 at first, until I realized the huge number of throwing weapons there were).

Last edited by simply Nathan; 04-13-2013 at 08:12 AM.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Lecherous(15)(Availability: Only on nubile, mateless females at least 5 SM larger than self, -50%)[-3]
This is, at best, a Quirk IMHO. The size restriction is a balanced Feature (narrower target field, but more likely to injure you if offense is given, but less likely to take offense in the first place because of the absurdity of the situation), while the "mateless" stipulation removes the vast bulk of the associated risks.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
To a first approximation, ST is proportional to the cube root of mass, and mass is proportionate to height cubed. A 180 cm human is 25 times taller and approximately ST 10 (give or take 50%). So even ST 1 HP 1 makes him the Arnold Schwartzinegger of dormice.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Anders

I very much doubt that a doormouse can run 7 yards in one sec. Buy down the Move, you should.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
To a first approximation, ST is proportional to the cube root of mass, and mass is proportionate to height cubed. A 180 cm human is 25 times taller and approximately ST 10 (give or take 50%). So even ST 1 HP 1 makes him the Arnold Schwartzinegger of dormice.
Sometimes it seems sad that strength isn't any more granular, doesn't it? Rounding him up to a full ST 1 should still work well enough (and I'm still considering giving him a level of Striking ST for his bite).
Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I very much doubt that a doormouse can run 7 yards in one sec. Buy down the Move, you should.
This is correct. A little googling shows that dormice can run up to 8 mph, which works out to about 4 yards/sec.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
This is correct. A little googling shows that dormice can run up to 8 mph, which works out to about 4 yards/sec.
I googled for about 15 minutes and I could only find for regular mice going around 7.5 mph, so I'll take this.

Tags
fantasy, furry, size modifier