Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

GURPS High-Tech seems to have noticeable gaps in TL8 military gear. Fortunately, it appears to be possible to fill those gaps by extrapolating from what we do have. I've decided I'm going to try to do that here, starting with US Armed Forces equipment currently in service.

Existing coverage of small arms appears to be excellent. High Tech already has stats for the M16A4, M4 Carbine, MK 17 Mod 0, M24, M107, Mk 14 EBR, M107, M870, M26 MASS, MP7A1, M240, M60, M249, M9, P226, and M1191. Tactical Shooting has stats for the HK416, M110 SSAS, and M27.

One gap in the coverage, based on this Wikipedia article, is a couple of "designated marksman rifles", but as far as I can tell those are basically just fine-quality (accurate) M16s*.

For anti-tank weapons, the Javelin, AT4, and M3 (Carl Gustaf) are covered. The SMAW (Mk 153) is not covered, but it appears to be very similar to the Carl Gustaf. (This is the piece of extrapolation in this post I'm least certain of, so I welcome correction.)

Specific US mortars in active service aren't covered by High-Tech, but as far as I can tell mortars haven't changed much since WWII, except for getting lighter. If it matters, I'd use weights taken from Wikipedia and combat performance from WWII-era mortars.

Vehicular machine guns and autocannons appear to be well-covered. Specifically, the M61, M134, M2 HMG, and Mk 19 grenade launcher are all accounted for.

So far, most of this has been just a preview. We'll have to do more extrapolating as we get further into vehicles.

Update: Edited to clarify the designated marksman rifles are fine (accurate). They may also be fine (reliable) but the main goal of their design appears to be accuracy.
*Update II: For reasons Icelander points out, at the level of granularity GURPS accounts for they may be essentially ordinary M16s.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 03-29-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

The existing rules for mortars (and artillery) in general are pretty inadequate for typical battlefield fires.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Okay, here's my first go at stating a current US military vehicle:

A-10 Thunderbolt

ST/HP: 105
Hnd/SR: +1/3
HT: 12f
Move: 3/220
SM: +5
Occ: 1SP
DR: 3
Range: 2,580
Loc.: g3WWi
Stall: 69

ST/HP is a bit less than the "cube root times 4" rule would suggest, I'm using existing aircraft as a guide there. Hnd/SR is a wild guess. SM +5 is debatable, it's 53 ft. 4 in. long and I went with the lower number in part based on it being a 1 seater.

Weapons include the GAU-8/A Avenger, which has a number of advantages over similar caliber autocannons including the use of APDU rounds. Dmg. 6d×6(2) pi++ inc, Acc 6, Range 3,000/10,000, Rof 65, Rcl 2. Credit for these stats goes to HANS. Options for rockets include 70mm Hydra rockets (High-Tech) and 5” Zuni rockets (GURPS SEALs in Vietnam).

Missile options are Sidewinders (again in High-Tech) and AGM-65 Mavericks. The latter is a 30 cm (!) ATGM, whose damage stats should probably be something like Dmg 6dx30(10) cr inc + linked 6dx14 cr ex [15d], Acc 4, Range 350/8800.

Cockpit has DR 75 from the sides/below (thanks to HANS and Varyon for catching this).

Electronic gadgetry is probably similar to the Viper in Pyramid #3/53, "Dogfight Action!". I'll leave bombs alone for now.

Update: This was edited to clarify that the Thunderbolt's ATGM missile is the AGM-65.
Update II: Added HANS's GAU-8 stats.
Update III: Added cockpit armor.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 03-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Phantasm

Do we have stats for the AGM-65 Maverick Air-to-Ground Missile? It's my understanding that those are common on A-10s for hitting tanks, IFVs, and other heavy materiel.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-29-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Icelander

I confess that I'm really interested in stats for modern military weapons. Even those that are modified versions of previously published wespons require some research, in order to determine whether any of Acc, Range, Weight, ST, RoF or Cost should change.

I mean, I'm sure the differences of the M4A1 with the SOPMOD Block II from the Block I are really minimal and the 10.3-inch barrel version is functionally similar to other ultra-short barrel M16/M4 type weapons, but nevertheless, I don't know what the Weight and Cost should be or if RoF changes slightly.

You mention that marksman rifles seem to be Fine versions of M16/M4 type rifles, but which of them qualify for Fine (Accurate), which for Fine (Reliable) and which for both?

I'm also very interested in special-purpose varieties of weapons that are already statted, like the SCAR PDW or SCAR-P, the 20-inch barrel SR-25 rifles, SR-25K carbines with 16-inch and 14.5-inch barrels (SR-25 E2 Advanced Combat Carbine commercially, a military version is M110K2), SEAL Recce Rifle/'M4 Sniper' (especially whether 16-inch and 14.5-inch barrels should get different Acc), Mk12 SPR (16-inch and 18-inch versions) and an in-house modification to the M14 said to have been made by Delta armourers in 2002 (barrel chopped down to the gas block, wooden stock replaced with AK-style under-folder or side-folder stock, operator's choice).

I don't think I have stats for the SCAR Mk 20 SSR or the modular Mk21 sniper rifle bought by SOCOM.

Other interesting weapons that SMUs have allegedly looked at with interest include the AAC Honey Badger and MCX LVAW 'Black Mamba' in .300 AAC Blackout. Stats for those would be awesome to get, as I'm not entire sure about various judgement calls and breakpoints.

Aside from weapon accessories mentioned by name in Tactical Shooting and Pyramid #3/57, I don't know what exact stats to give many of the most common accessories. These include the Elcan Specter DR (does it get Collimating/Reflex bonus and magnification?), Insight MX3 weapon light, Insight SU-233 weapon light, Insight WMX200 weapon light and SureFire Scout lights.

I'm also not sure which models of real-world suppressors used by JSOC special mission units give -2 , which -3 and which, if any, give -4.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Do we have stats for the AGM-65 Maverick Air-to-Ground Missile? It's my understanding that those are common on A-10s for hitting tanks, IFVs, and other heavy materiel.
That would be the Thunderbolt's ATGM. Edited above post to clarify.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The existing rules for mortars (and artillery) in general are pretty inadequate for typical battlefield fires.
Has this been discussed before? Are there suggested replacements floating around?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
You mention that marksman rifles seem to be Fine versions of M16/M4 type rifles, but which of them qualify for Fine (Accurate), which for Fine (Reliable) and which for both?
I think improved accuracy was the main point in both cases, I don't know if reliability was improved as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Has this been discussed before? Are there suggested replacements floating around?
Yes, and nothing really specific, although I may be working on it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
A-10 Thunderbolt
Using Spaceships, the A-10 Thunderbolt's weight is on the low end of SM +5, but too heavy to count as SM +4 (it's roughly 10 tons empty, which is SM +4, but Spaceships vessels are calculated based on loaded weight, which for the A-10 apparently can range from around 15 tons to 20 tons; nominal weight for SM +5 is 30 tons). Note being streamlined means it's targeted as SM +4 when targeted from the front or the back, SM +5 otherwise. SM +5 implies ST/HP 200, although the lower weight of the A-10 might justify around 160 (HP is higher than you've calculated because Spaceships uses a multiplier roughly halfway between Unliving and Homogenous; your number matches better with existing examples, so just go with that). It apparently only has a single armor system, but that's all you need for a streamlined craft anyway. Titanium implies Light Alloy (DR 15, although it's concentrated so might justify a higher DR over less area), although Metallic Laminate may also be an option (DR 20). Hnd/SR is nominally -1/3 (TL 8 is -1, otherwise it would be 0/4), but the thrust/weight ratio (which apparently ends up giving you acceleration in G's) is low enough for -1, for -2/2. Being winged and streamlined* means its atmospheric Hnd/SR (which is all that matters) is actually 2/3, however (+4 Hnd, +1 SR).

*Its low top speed (439 mph) implies less streamlining than nominal Streamlined (which would have a top speed of 1500 mph), but more than nominal Unstreamlined (which would have a top speed of 150 mph).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech, modern firepower