Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Any news regarding Discworld?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Isn't a reason for this that it is a solution to one of the most common obstacles for introducing GURPS.
Namely that there are no fixed setting. Discworld is a very rich and well developed setting.

This also means that all of the skills and advantages and so on can be clearly defined in relation to this specific setting and more importantly be limited to the ones that matter, as well as having clear character design-rules. And so on.
That's part of it, but not even the main part
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I think and hope that it's also related to the fact of me spending the last twenty years paying attention to these boards, running demo games at cons, and running for and playing in GURPS groups with an occasional player turnover. And being a tiny bit analytical, while not being one of the original authors of the system.

I have some vague idea, not only how the system is supposed to work, but also what about it isn't intuitively obvious. Plus, I had just enough space and lots of excuse to write some entertaining examples of the rules in use. Well, I found them entertaining.

Many street mimes died to bring us that book.
This. It's Phil's skill that really makes the book come alive, and be both accessible and comprehensive without being weighted down by the fact that it's massive. Seriously.

Again, Phil, I don't have the playtest files any more, and it's been a while, but I have very fond memories of that playtest (and BTW, Phil is my favorite author to playtest for)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #22
Maz

Quote:
I think and hope that it's also related to the fact of me spending the last twenty years paying attention to these boards [...].
Hahaha, of course! It was in no way meant to diminish your incredible work. It was mostly as a common to the very common and ongoing discussion about how to get new players to GURPS. :) Is probably better for another thread.

I just think it was a good example of something that works.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #23
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
You know you're getting old when something with the Discworld label is starting to be considered old news. That is the reality however, and audiences for such a supplement are expecting something more relevant to their modern tastes. And its another sign you're getting old when you (meaning me) have no clear idea what that might be. :)
Old or not (and yeah, sure, I have an early edition paperback of The Colour of Magic, bought new), I know what I still see prominently displayed whenever I wander into the Fantasy/SF section of a British bookshop, even today; a fair stack of Pratchett titles, and Discworld spin-offs such as maps, calendars, and, yes, boardgames.

If the (US) distributors are telling SJGames that they can't sell many copies of a book with "Discworld" on the cover, then either the US market is very different or the distributors are insanely under-confident.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Many street mimes died to bring us that book.
I think they're congenitally unable to learn the words.

Quote:
If the (US) distributors are telling SJGames that they can't sell many copies of a book with "Discworld" on the cover, then either the US market is very different or the distributors are insanely under-confident.
Anecdotally: Discworld is not prominent on my local book store shelves.

In fact... I don't think I've seen a physical copy (outside of my collection) in over a decade.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
In fact... I don't think I've seen a physical copy (outside of my collection) in over a decade.
They made up a huge portion of the fantasy aisle at my local library 5-10 years ago. One shelf dedicated to Pratchett books, and a few of his non-Discworld (and Tiffany Aching) books littered the Young Adult section. More Pratchett on our shelves than C. S. Lewis and Tolkien combined. There are only a couple I didn't get to read yet.

Unfortunately I moved to another city about three years ago and don't know where the local libraries are. Probably not a short walk for me either.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
They made up a huge portion of the fantasy aisle at my local library 5-10 years ago.
i haven't been in a library in over a decade, but I'm in Barnes & Nobles every other week.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #27
Gollum

Quote:
Plus, I had just enough space and lots of excuse to write some entertaining examples of the rules in use. Well, I found them entertaining.
Great!

I hope the book will be published out very soon.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #28
Phil Masters

I do wonder if SJGames need to talk to their UK distributors more before they conclude that there's weak demand for this book. I recall that the first edition was probably selling more over here than in the US at one stage, and I believe that it's the only book of mine that's ever been on the shelves for sale in Harrods...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I do wonder if SJGames need to talk to their UK distributors more before they conclude that there's weak demand for this book.
We have had discussions and we continue to explore options here.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld