Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default [Fantasy/Furry] Help statting my mouse knight

I'm very much inclined to at least lean my character's build towards the style of Dungeon Fantasy, though given his size he'll likely encounter smaller and more mundane threats than most 250-point heroes go up against; I don't know if he's going to be worth so high of a point total when built to concept, though I doubt he'll come to 125 or fewer.

I'm not sure how much to take from the Knight and Holy Warrior templates; the Holiness talent and Holy Warrior's disadvantage section look more appropriate than Born War Leader and the Knight disadvantage section, but I also want Weapon Master(All) because of how useful it will be offensively and defensively for a hero fighting against his race's low ST rating. I don't strictly need to adhere to the templates, of course, I'm just curious about which would be a more appropriate starting place.

Relevant parts of his backstory are as follows:
Sir Nathan left his village shortly after reaching adulthood. He is a knight due to the religious order he joined and pays very small annual dues to, not social class.

He met and fell in love with a wolfcat who was a fay being like himself. Despite the disdain this received, particularly from her pack for associating so closely with such a "lesser creature", they were both blessed by the Spirit of the Moon (as he calls her; the other forest-dwellers including his mate call her the Moon Goddess). She marked them on the foreheads; him with a white drop, her with a crimson crescent.

After a few months caring for a lost snow leopard cub they found after the ceremony, Sir Nathan's wolfcat mate needed to slumber in the heart of a volcano for four years to keep it from erupting and destroying the forest. During this time, Sir Nathan went on a life of daring and heroic dungeon adventures, risking his life (possibly dying and being raised a few times, as the career goes), fighting evil, and amassing treasure.

Sir Nathan adheres to a fantasy religion based blatantly on Christianity, but it accepts the existence of the other good deities and respects their adherents while subtly insisting that the Crystal Dragon himself is the only entity accurately titled "God". Seemingly there is no problem from either end with the Moon Goddess blessing one of its adherents while those people continue to give worship to the Dragon only. Indeed, if Holy advantages like Higher Purpose and Blessed(Heroic Feats) are used they come from the lady who marked him rather than the dragon he worships.

Things I'm certain of:
- This racial template
- Honesty, Pacifism(Cannot Harm Innocents), Sense of Duty(Party Members), and Truthfulness(6) as definite disadvantages
- Quirks including Minor Supernatural Features(Pink fur, tastes of candy) and Devoutly Religious(tithes, prays daily, and attends religious services at least once a week during adventure downtime)
- Advantages definitely include maximum level of his racial Talent for [20] points, improved Strength to some level, immunity to Sex Appeal attempts and at the least a large bonus to resist attempts at using mind-control effects for seduction on him (not necessarily immunity), and a Payload big enough for him to have a pouch containing a tiny scroll with a drawing of his mate on it.
- Combat skills include Thrown Weapon(Stick), Knife, Shortsword, or Broadsword (depending on how literal you want to get interpreting these skills' cutoff points and character scale), Shield, Two-Handed Sword, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, and Fast-Draw because he'd be crazy not to take some form of that.
- Non-combat skills include Lockpicking, Theology, and a point in Artist(Drawing)
- He adds a Wizard lens partway through his career, but doesn't begin with it.
- Starting equipment includes a claymore (either Pixie or Leprechaun), a boomerang (Leprechaun), and armor including SM-6 plate cuirass, armbands, and gauntlets; from the scaling rules, the arms and gauntlets at the least need the Dwarven qualifier to have non-zero DR. Signature Gear Pack of Holding is a setting feature and probably doesn't need stats unless he gets thrown into a campaign with delvers from other worlds.

So here's my first stab at it, I'll gladly welcome suggested additions and alterations:
Code:
Sir Nathan (185 Points)
Attributes and Characteristics (150 points)
ST 5[30]  HP    5       Speed 7.00[10]
DX 13[40] Per   12[-10] Move  5/8
IQ 12[40] Will  14[10]  
HT 13[30] FP    13      SM -6
Dodge 10 Block - Parry - 
Basic Lift 5 lbs

Advantages (26)
Animal Empathy[5]
Fairy Mouse[0]
Mousiness 4[20]
Payload 1[1]
Resistant(Sex Appeal, total immunity; Non-mundane Seduction, +3 or +8)[?]

Disadvantages (-30)
Honesty(15)[-5],
Pacifism(Cannot Harm Innocents)[-10]
Sense of Duty(Party Members)[-5]
Truthfuness(6)[-10]

Quirks (-2)
Minor Supernatural Features[-1]
Devoutly Religious[-1]

Skills
    Weapons (16)
Broadsword(DX+1)[4]-14
Thrown Weapon(Stick)(DX+3)[8]-16
Two-Handed Axe/Mace(DX+1)[4]-14
Two-Handed Sword(DX+1)[4]-14
    Combat Support Skills (7)
Acrobatics(DX+2)[1]-15
Fast-Draw(Boomerang)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Potion)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Sword)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Two-Handed Sword)(DX+4)[1]-17
Shield(DX+1)[2]-14
    Adventuring Skills (8)
Climbing(DX+5)[1]-18
First-Aid(IQ)[1]-12
Gesture(IQ)[1]-12
Hiking(HT-1)[1]-12
Lockpicking(DX)[1]-13
Riding(Ferret)(DX-1)[1]-12
Scrounging(IQ+4)[1]-16
Stealth(DX+3)[1]-16*
Traps(IQ-3)[0]-9**
- Background Skills (10)
Artist(Drawing)(IQ-2)[1]-10; Animal Handling(Mustelids)(IQ-1)[8]-14; Theology(IQ-2)[1]-10

* +1 vs hearing when moving, +2 when still
** Default of Lockpicking-3, +4 from racial Talent, -3 from no High Manual Dexterity and being based on IQ rather than DX
ST 5 is the first breakpoint where his ability to use human-scale weapons actually does something (allowing him to use small knives), but I can be argued up from here. ST 8 seems to be the next good spot, letting him use shortswords and hatchets; more than that is not likely for the beginning of his adventuring career, but reaching 12 + any extra allowed by a character template's specific exemptions is the maximum for his ST 2 race.

I don't know about scaling shields down to SM-6 (I can't recall seeing rules for it) but he should be able to magically use an SM 0 character's shield if that counts as a "Weapon".

Possibly all tiny weapons (including his sword) use Knife skill one-handed because they are shorter than 1 foot, possibly he uses Broadsword instead of Knife when wielding knives because they are longer than 1 foot relative to his body, or possibly they are supposed to simply use whatever skill they were designed for regardless of the size of the wielder. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by simply Nathan; 01-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
simply Nathan

Default Re: [Fantasy/Furry] Help statting my mouse knight

Okay now, the next thing is trying to figure out his equipment, then assess whether I should buy more ST.

First, ST 5 gives damage of thr 1d-4 and sw 1d-3 - good thing damage types other than Crushing have a minimum of 1 before target DR!

ST 8, the maximum I see him with at the outset of his career, gives thr 1d-3 and sw 1d-2, just one point better in each category; however, it opens up much larger weapons (with significantly softer damage penalties or rarely, shock of all shocks, a bonus!) and raises his BL from 5 to 13 lbs., nearly tripling it. Either way, he is a giant and mighty warrior among mice!

First his known equipment as best as I can get it without using my houserules:
Code:
Minimal Delver's Kit(DF13, p.5) (SM-6, mundane) $45.70, 12.61 lbs*

"Fetch", SM-1 Faerie Boomerang, 1d-4 cr (sw-1), min/max ST 4/12, Reach C, Range 30/50, Acc 2, $20, 1.5 lbs** 

"Troublebreaker", SM-6 Cheap Faerie Greatsword 1d-7 cut/1d-8 imp (sw-3/thr-3, max ST 3), Reach C, $360, 0.8 lbs

SM-6 Mundane Medium Wooden Shield, 1d-6(0.1) cr, DB+2, $15, 3.75 lbs

SM-6 Heavy Steel Corselet(Torso/Groin), DR 1, $2,300, 0.45 lbs

SM-6 Heavy Plate Arms(Arms), DR 1, $1,500, 0.20 lbs 

SM-6 Dwarven+2 Heavy Gauntlets(Hands), DR 1, $750, 0.35 lbs

SM-6 Mundane Saddle and Tack, $1.50, .15 lbs

Total $: 4,992.2

Total #: 19.81 (19.66 on person, 0.15 on mount)
*I usually give a kit like this, free and weightless, with the backpack magically protecting him from Encumbrance from all sources other than his battle-ready gear, all as a campaign feature. It's written into my personal setting that a magical backpack finds its way to an adventurer at the outset of his career(he buys it for a bargain, finds it in his first monster's hoard, inherits it from a retiring adventurer or dying relative, whatever), that the backpack is plot-protected (thought its contents are not), and willing sale or discarding of the backpack is the same thing as retirement from being a career adventurer. Cost and weight for the backpack is here as proof of concept more than anything.

** I usually houserule that boomerangs can have the Loyal Weapon enchantment for really cheap. Would it be unfair to simply charge $30 for this specific genre-appropriate use of the spell, in line with the $30 cost for the Staff spell, and bring the item's general store price to $50? Or maybe to require CF+2 worth of alteration to the boomerang and charge $40 for the enchantment, bringing its cost to $100?

Conclusions:
I should invest in ST (Heavy Encumbrance is no fun!), buy my mount as an Ally or with the Pet perk rather than even considering using cash, and it's expensive to be a knight even if you're only six inches tall. Buying the ferret as an Ally also lets me make him an uber-ferret with better ST and Move...maybe even some sort of fairy-ferret.

I don't like dealing with the Wealth rules or Trading Points for Money, so maybe I should make this set of armor Signature Gear. I did write the race with this SM partly for the sake of equipment compatability with pixies in those hit locations though...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
The Colonel

Appopros of nothing in particular, are they both meant to have multiple tails or is that a wagging animation?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Appopros of nothing in particular, are they both meant to have multiple tails or is that a wagging animation?
They have two tails each. I neglected to mention this on his sheet as part of his unnatural/supernatural features (most fairy-mice don't have tails that look so vulpine either). I don't know if it's unusual for her race, but her character design was inspired by a specific fictional nekomata so it might not be.

EDIT: And here's a new draft of his character sheet
Code:
Sir Nathan (217 Points)
Attributes and Characteristics (180 points)
ST 8[60]  HP    8       Speed 7.00[10]
DX 13[40] Per   12[-10] Move  5/8
IQ 12[40] Will  14[10]  
HT 13[30] FP    13      SM -6
Dodge 10 Block - Parry - 
Basic Damage thr 1d-3 /sw 1d-2
Basic Lift 13 lbs

Advantages (45)
Animal Empathy[5]
Fairy Mouse[0]
Immune to Seduction(Holy, -10%)[9]
Mousiness 4[20]
Night Vision 3[3]
Payload 1[1]
Telesend(Only While Dreaming, Only With Mate)[6]
Perk: Counts as Holy Warrior for Power-Ups and Training[1]

Disadvantages (-35)
Honesty(15)[-5],
Pacifism(Cannot Harm Innocents)[-10]
Sense of Duty(Party Members)[-5]
Truthfuness(6)[-10]
Vow: Monogamous[-5]

Quirks (-2)
Minor Supernatural Features[-1]
Devoutly Religious[-1]

Skills
    Weapons (16)
Broadsword(DX+1)[4]-14
Thrown Weapon(Stick)(DX+3)[8]-16
Two-Handed Axe/Mace(DX+1)[4]-14
Two-Handed Sword(DX+1)[4]-14
    Combat Support Skills (7)
Acrobatics(DX+2)[1]-15
Fast-Draw(Boomerang)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Potion)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Sword)(DX+4)[1]-17; Fast-Draw(Two-Handed Sword)(DX+4)[1]-17
Shield(DX+1)[2]-14
    Adventuring Skills (8)
Climbing(DX+5)[1]-18
Escape(DX-3)[0]-10
First-Aid(IQ)[1]-12
Gesture(IQ)[1]-12
Hiking(HT-1)[1]-12
Lockpicking(DX)[1]-13
Riding(Ferret)(DX-1)[1]-12
Scrounging(IQ+4)[1]-16
Stealth(DX+3)[1]-16*
Traps(IQ-3)[0]-9**
Spells (1)
Beast-Soother(IQ-2)[1]-10
- Background Skills (4)
Artist(Drawing)(IQ-2)[1]-10; Animal Handling(Mustelids)(IQ-1)[1]-11; Dreaming(Will-2)[1]-12; Theology(IQ-2)[1]-10

* +1 vs hearing when moving, +2 when still
** Default of Lockpicking-3, +4 from racial Talent, -3 from no High Manual Dexterity and being based on IQ rather than DX
Not sure what I should give him next.

Last edited by simply Nathan; 01-16-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Character update without double-posting
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character generation, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, furry