Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Tactical Shooting: Subliminal Sighting?

Being able to get some small benefit from the sights while still not having to focus on them to the extent of losing situational awareness sounds to me the epitome of having +1 skill relative to the other guy. Someone with skill 13 can shoot as accurately unsighted as someone with skill 12 can do sighted.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Being able to get some small benefit from the sights while still not having to focus on them to the extent of losing situational awareness sounds to me the epitome of having +1 skill relative to the other guy. Someone with skill 13 can shoot as accurately unsighted as someone with skill 12 can do sighted.
+1 raw skill also means +1 with Aimed AoAs, +1 to Immediate Action, +1 to recognizing a very familiar gun model, and IIRC +1 to Precision Aiming (don't remember the skill used).
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
+1 raw skill also means +1 with Aimed AoAs, +1 to Immediate Action, +1 to recognizing a very familiar gun model, and IIRC +1 to Precision Aiming (don't remember the skill used).
All true.

GURPS skills are usually more broad than real life skills. In this case, it is far less glaring than with Economics, for example. One skill in GURPS, a wide range of disciplines with very limited overlap in real life.

I don't have a problem with someone who can attain a quick sight picture also being better at shooting in combat in general. It seems very appropriate.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
All true.

GURPS skills are usually more broad than real life skills. In this case, it is far less glaring than with Economics, for example. One skill in GURPS, a wide range of disciplines with very limited overlap in real life.

I don't have a problem with someone who can attain a quick sight picture also being better at shooting in combat in general. It seems very appropriate.
Anyway, given that we have things like Quick Shot, Targeted Attacks, Low Fighting, an Arm Lock that can exceed Judo by a lot, it seems unfair to forbid such a Technique completely. Perhaps make it default to Sk+0, and max at Sk+(Acc/2) in Tactical Shooting games, allowing use of Acc after aim but without AoA. (Warning: not playtested.)
Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So you are talking about trained point-shooting? Isn't that just high skill, or possibly the Close Hip Shooting or Close Quarter Battle techniques? How does a real shooter physically do what you are describing? What kind of training imparts this?

He is talking about the "flash sight picture" aspect of Cooper's technique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_..._Sight_Picture

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post

From that article, it seems it's defining "point shooting" as the Hip Shooting Technique, "slow-fire rifle shooting" as Aimed Shooting, and thus "flash sight picture" is simply something in between. Looks the same as Unsighted or Sighted Shooting to me.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 12-05-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
From that article, it seems it's defining "point shooting" as the Hip Shooting Technique, "slow-fire rifle shooting" as either Sighted Shooting or Aimed Shooting, and thus "flash sight picture" is simply something in between. Looks the same as Unsighted Shooting to me.

I think you might justify the ability to AoA(Determined) when using Unsighted Shooting with a Flash Sight Picture perk.
The problem with making it a Perk is that this gets you all the benefits of AoA with none of the drawbacks.

In a system where the difference between sighted and unsighted is just +1, there is not enough granularity to insert a 'flash sighted' category between them.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
The problem with making it a Perk is that this gets you all the benefits of AoA with none of the drawbacks.

In a system where the difference between sighted and unsighted is just +1, there is not enough granularity to insert a 'flash sighted' category between them.
Yeah, edited my post to reflect that on rereading.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'd say it's actually +2 over the other guy for soaking the -2 penalty for assessing the target (which gets you regardless of sighted or unsighted).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #20
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post

"Flash sight picture" is specifically covered by "Sighted Shooting": "Some variants use only the front sight, but the difference in game terms is minimal." (Tactical Shooting, p. 13).

Really, there's a gradual scale with the flash sight picture and aimed shooting at the respective ends, but this can't be meaningfully represented.

Cheers

HANS

Tags
guns, tactical shooting