Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
sparky00

Default Re: Ogre Battlefields on Warehouse 23

I concur.

I was a Battlefields Kickstarter backer, and received my copy in perfect condition as scheduled.

It is an awesome set -exceeding my expectations (its almost worth the price just for the box art).

I know there have been fulfillment issues, but SJG has been doing whatever is possible to make things right and avoid future repeats. Its a difficult time in a challenging business in a challenging marketplace. SJG is exemplary in their focus on customer satisfaction.

That said, when I saw the Battlefields description on W23, I was taken aback. The description lists only a small fraction of what is actually in Battlefields, and led me to suspect it may be a much smaller product that what KS backers received. I almost passed on pre-ordering a second copy.

Thanks to Phil for confirming that it is truly the complete Battlefields product up for pre-order on W23.

I'd recommend a few edits to the description to avoid any confusion by those considering a pre-order. A mention of faction reskins, entrenchments/revetments, armored trucks, etc, would go along way toward preventing confusion.

Battlefields is a truly awesome product, and deserves to be outstandingly successful. It is a perfect companion to O6E as well a ODE. Any player with the current generation Of Ogre is going to get huge value from the items in Battlefields.

Thanks so much for making it, I'll be passing along its availability for pre-order and I think I'll be pre-ordering that second copy now.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
TheAmishStig

Thanks for the confirmation Phil, I'll let him know.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:23 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I'd recommend a few edits to the description to avoid any confusion by those considering a pre-order.
I agree 100%! There should also be more pics. I'll be talking to the team today.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Oldgamer72

Thank you, Phil, glad it wasn't just me that saw it that way. Haven't quite lost my mind yet.
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
BillK

When SJGames published Ogre Designer Edition, they established two thicknesses of cardboard--a thinner cardboard for the flat units and a thicker cardboard for the 3-D units. (This works fine for me, as long as the convention--once established--is adhered to.)

But I just received a copy of Ogre Reinforcements and I see that SJGames departed from the established format and made the flat units out of thicker cardboard--which creates an untidy look on the map, makes stacks harder to count and manipulate, and takes up more room in the storage wells.

With Ogre Battlefields, did SJGames maintain the convention of having two thicknesses of cardboard, or is everything now of the thicker cardboard, flat units included?

Last edited by BillK; 11-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Oldgamer72

Quote:
With Ogre Battlefields, did SJGames maintain the convention of having two thicknesses of cardboard, or is everything now of the thicker cardboard, flat units included?
I was looking through counters for an unrelated reason but figured I'd check.

-ODE counters are approx. 1.5mm cardboard
-Battlefields and Reinforcements are approx. 2mm cardboard.

So they are now the thicker ones. Hope this helps.
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #17
BillK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer72 View Post
So they are now the thicker ones. Hope this helps.
Thanks for checking.

This is a bummer. I like it best when game companies maintain consistency between a base game and its expansions. Different heights can be distracting, like playing a game of checkers where most checkers are 3/8-inch tall but a few are 1/2-inch tall.

Last edited by BillK; 11-14-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
BillK

Here's a couple images of the difference:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5056...reinforcements

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5056...reinforcements

Last edited by BillK; 11-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Thanks for checking.

This is a bummer. I like it best when game companies maintain consistency between a base game and its expansions. Different heights can be distracting, like playing a game of checkers where most checkers are 3/8-inch tall but a few are 1/2-inch tall.
To be honest, I don't consider this a valid comparison. The way I look at it is Designer's Edition was a one-off; it is not "the base game" and was not intended to be one, while the 6th Edition Line (Ogre, Reinforcements and Battlefields) are the Current in-production products. All of the in-production products are consistent with each other.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #20
BillK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
To be honest, I don't consider this a valid comparison. The way I look at it is Designer's Edition was a one-off; it is not "the base game" and was not intended to be one, while the 6th Edition Line (Ogre, Reinforcements and Battlefields) are the Current in-production products. All of the in-production products are consistent with each other.
Are Scenario Books 2 and 3 also one-offs? Several of the scenarios in them require the Designer's Edition counterset.

Many players have the Designer's Edition/Sponsored Countersheets/Scenario Books: these players are now finding the new products in the Ogre line not matching their previous products. I wish SJGames, having established a standard, had merely kept it. Then no one would've been unhappy.

Last edited by BillK; 11-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.