Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Strategic ER

So I have wanted to build an Energy Reserve that acts more like Threshold Magery in that it has a good sized cap but recovers slower. The limitations for recovering 1/day or 1/hour did not get me the feel I was looking for.

Strategic ER
50 points
You have an Energy Reserve that has a high capacity but recovers much slower than the standard Energy Reserve. The ER holds 30 energy and recovers 8 per day.
New Enhancements: Increased Cap +6, +10%; and Increased Recovery 2, +10%.
New Limitations: Reduced Cap -6, -10% (Max 5 levels); and Reduced Recovery -2, -10% (Max 5 levels).
Other optional modifiers: From GURPS Horror Corrupting, -20%; from GURPS Power (p. 119) Abilities only, -10%; One Power, -50%; and Stunts only, -10%. Also Backlash
Note: The new limitation values mach up with the suggested version for Magery under Threshold Magic!

EDIT: To be clear, this ability does not allow the borrowing of energy such as can be done with Threshold Magery. I am considering that option as a +300% enhancement, similar to Super Effort and the highest level of Cosmic.
The above ability is just an ER but has different scaling in how it recovers energy.
I go over some of my math in my blog post here. Scroll down to the heading "The Strategic Option" in that post to see it.

Examples of customization...
Demonic Reserve that can be accessed anywhere but only recharges in hell, and even then it takes awhile.
Statistics: Strategic ER (Reduced Recovery -8, -50%; Increased Recovery +2 (Only in Hell, -50%) +5%) [18].
My math might be off on that Accessibility that partially limits the enhancement, its late but I wanted to offer an example of some things this might do better than a standard Energy Reserve. ER would have to have the Accessibility on slow Recovery to be similar.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 09-24-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tally, threshold