Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
DSumner

Default Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Not sure how many of you told timers, like me remember FGU's Villains and Vigilantes, but it's back!

Official Press Release

VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ RETURNS!

THE CLASSIC TABLETOP RPG IS NOW PUBLISHED BY MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™

June 27, 2010 is the release date for "VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1" from MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™. Virtually unavailable for the last two decades, VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ is back!

In 1979, JEFF DEE and JACK HERMAN created the original VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™, the game that brought classic comic book style adventurers into the world of role-playing games. It inspired thousands of crossover fans between comics and gaming, and spawned dozens of imitations.

VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ is legendary among role-playing games for its random super-powered character generation system, its accessible, open and fast-paced rules, and the imaginative, far-ranging campaign universe created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman.

This latest version of the game- dubbed version 2.1- revives the popular 1982 Revised Edition with some rules additions. It also features brand new illustrations from co-creator Jeff Dee, whose RPG game art has developed a longtime following.

"Jeff Dee and I are Monkey House Games." announced Jack Herman, "Effective immediately, V&V is back in the hands of its creators, right where it should be. We’ve both dreamed of this opportunity for a very long time, and we can’t wait for you to see what we’ve done with the old place."

Dee and Herman both credited the "ferociously loyal legion of online fans and players" as a driving force in the revival. "You carried the torch for decades and never faltered. This is a testament to your power and your will. You effectively brought our game back from the dead. We are in awe and we thank you."

According to Herman, there are currently new adventures and campaign material in the pipeline. "This is the perfect time for new players to jump in, but the die-hards that have been following V&V since its earlier incarnation will be right at home. You’ll get to reconnect with the very same game world Jeff and I previously ran, drew and wrote about- only this time it’ll be bigger, better and more. If players have even half as much fun playing it as we’re having working on it, this will be something you won’t want to miss.”

VILLIANS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1 will be available June 27, 2010 from RPGNow.

Monkey House Games products are available from RPGNow and its affiliates at:
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3246

VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ is the classic tabletop role-playing game of comic book style costumed crime fighters created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman.

MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ is the game company created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman for the release of all material relating to the VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ Universe.

For further information, please visit www.monkeyhousegames.com

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Spudzill

Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Oh hell yes!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Captain-Captain

Nothing on FGU's site, not all that surprising, but they're still advertising V&V material. Old stock?
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Not sure how many of you told timers, like me remember FGU's Villains and Vigilantes, but it's back!
That is cool news... Thanks for the heads-up!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Nothing on FGU's site, not all that surprising, but they're still advertising V&V material. Old stock?
Not sure, as FGU doesn't update that often.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Not sure, as FGU doesn't update that often.
It does however, reprint at distant and irregular intervals.

I actually got a new edition of the Space Opera corebooks as one perfect bound instead of two stapled ones. It even had some errata in it.

Not directly relevant to the thread but I do offer it as evidence that not all FGU stock is necessarily old.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:

Great, now I can generate that giant batwinged ice projecting telepathic mutant hermathphrodite!

(I had weird luck with the generation system.)

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 10-25-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer
Everybody did... I think that was supposed to be one of the game's "charms" :|
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Everybody did... :|
Not me. I easily figured out how to generate sensible V&V characters. Just stop rolling on on the powers table when I got a power/device/item I knew I wanted to delete, and start rolling on the training table. I could roll ten characters, and all but one would be useful coherent concepts, and often ones I never would have thought of myself.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ is legendary among role-playing games for its random super-powered character generation system, its accessible, open and fast-paced rules, and the imaginative, far-ranging campaign universe created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman.
Definitely famous for its random super-powered generation system, the rules not so much, but those tables were great inspirations for many a game run in everything from Champions and DC Heroes to GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Great, now I can generate that giant batwinged ice projecting mutant hermaphrodite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Everybody did... I think that was supposed to be one of the game's "charms" :|
I fondly remember my flying alien shapeshifting mimic whose natural form looked like a potato with tentacles... (Played using DC Heroes)
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers