Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
martinl

Default Azoth-2: TL3 with Alchemical Nukes

Paging idly through IW today, I noticed that one interpretation of Azoth-2 is "TL3 with Alchemical Nukes."

There's some interesting socio-dynamics for you...
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: Azoth-2: TL3 with Alchemical Nukes

Can you imagine that kind of Cold War?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Can you imagine that kind of Cold War?
No, I can't imagine a cold war in a setting where transport and sensor capabilities favor a decisive first strike as much as TL3 with nukes would.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
nick012000

I dunno. It's TL 3+2; that implies a bit more than alchemical nukes. They've probably got Alchemical Airships and the like.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
martinl

It's TL 3+2 *now*.

I also doubt the intent was alchemical nukes, since that would be TL 3+4.

But TL 3 plus nukes is freaky. Depending upon the cost of the alchnukes, castles, cities, or even towns might become impractical...

I'm gonna assume an alkonuke is 10 kt, is transportable on a horse, and costs about as much as a small keep.

The fallout shelter (dungeon) might be the only plausible fortification, formation size is effectively capped at economically alkonukable, and naval warfare is right out.

War gets wierd, and society with it.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Ego Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, I can't imagine a cold war in a setting where transport and sensor capabilities favor a decisive first strike as much as TL3 with nukes would.
Actually, that assumes that they don't also has Alchemical Far Sight (mirrors that show the enemies keeps, or wizards with bird familiars that can spy on troop movements), or teleportation (Enchanted doorways, with permenant portal spells). They may even have fast moving airships (Dirgibles with warlocks that control powerful air elementals), that could drop whole bombing runs of small yield nukes.

If you know the enemy keeps several Dirgibles loaded with nukes, "in the air", then you may need to spy on them in hopes of finding the flight pattern; of course your probably doing the same thing, so your enemy will be trying to find out your secrets too. :D

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive View Post
Actually, that assumes that they don't also has Alchemical Far Sight (mirrors that show the enemies keeps, or wizards with bird familiars that can spy on troop movements), or teleportation (Enchanted doorways, with permenant portal spells). They may even have fast moving airships (Dirgibles with warlocks that control powerful air elementals), that could drop whole bombing runs of small yield nukes.

If you know the enemy keeps several Dirgibles loaded with nukes, "in the air", then you may need to spy on them in hopes of finding the flight pattern; of course your probably doing the same thing, so your enemy will be trying to find out your secrets too. :D
Well, it does assume that, because TL3 + alchemical nukes doesn't mean the same thing as TL3+4 (alchemical).

But the measures proposed don't really clear up the problem. Dirgibles in the air are probably too slow and too vulnerable to be effective instruments for a MAD strategy. Jet bombers were less than sure, historically. Hidden dungeons full of teleporter wizards ready to blink bombs to targets might do it, but they very probably make a first strike too strong again, because if you manage to find all the wizard silos, the defender has no time to launch a counterstrike.

What you need in the setting actually proposed is something to stop one guy with a horse or mule from transporting a bomb into blast range of absolutely anything remotely valuable. Otherwise a cold war makes no sense, because you might not know the enemy's attacking until most of your civilization is an assortment of exotic vapors.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
tantric
Banned

In Tad William's War of the Flowers, the situation is accomplished by using dragons. The scene in which a dragon destroys Parliament with a surprise attack is deliberately written to resemble a nuclear strike, though it also unfortunately resembles the 9/11 attacks.

My own campaign features two magically powerful civilizations in conflict. It's a cold war now, slow attrition on both sides, but eventually the players will have to decide whether or not the use of WMD's to commit genocide is acceptable in their circumstances.

We have four main vector of war-death: gunpowder, nuclear fission and chemical and biological weapons. A magical world has *thousands*. Zombie apocalypse, weather magic, fire elementals, dragons, sonic death rays, sentient cloudkills, prismatic MIRV's - the imagination is literally the limit.

I particularly like the 'Prismatic MIRV' - I gonna hafta use that one.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
What you need in the setting actually proposed is something to stop one guy with a horse or mule from transporting a bomb into blast range of absolutely anything remotely valuable. Otherwise a cold war makes no sense, because you might not know the enemy's attacking until most of your civilization is an assortment of exotic vapors.
Refresh my memory, please: Does Azoth-2 have precognition/divination magic?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
eventually the players will have to decide whether or not the use of WMD's
Wizards of Mass Destruction?
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds