Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Prison Parallel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
It would have to be beyond cinematic and move into silly if they can turn coconuts and no steel or electricity or infrastructure into a space faring ship within their lifetime.
I wasn't thinking of spaceships, but more conventional technology up to anything able to carry a user across dimensions (in Sliders, this is cell phone sized!). Then again, it depends on what, if any, natural resources are on this world. There would almost have to be some (unless you send the prisoners there solely to die).

Oh, and cooperation from other inmates.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Has anyone here ever designed a parallel world for their campaign that was used solely to keep prisoners?
I thought that was Yrth. After all, -25 to roll to leave the place... we think the Banestorm is random, but is it really?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
I thought that was Yrth. After all, -25 to roll to leave the place... we think the Banestorm is random, but is it really?
Whoa. What the heck is that penalty applied to anyways?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Diomedes

Quote:
Any Gate Spell that might get you out of there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Banestorm, p.26
The following Gate College spells have a -25 penalty when cast on Yrth: Banish (when used on travelers from normal alternate worlds, rather than, say, demons), Create Gate (when used for anything besides long-distance travel), Hide Object, Phase, Phase Other, Planar Visit, Plane Shift, Plane Shift Other, Sanctuary, and Scry Gate (if the gate leads to another time or plane). An attempt to use Planar Summons to bring something from Yrth fails outright if the spell doesn’t specify an individual entity, and is at the standard -25 penalty even if it does.
The following spells have the same penalty, and no one on Yrth has even conceived of them: Accelerate Time, Rapid Journey (when used to travel through time), Slow Time, Suspend Time, Time Out, Timeport, Timeport Other, Timeslip, and Timeslip Other. There may be ways to reduce these penalties, but what they are and who knows them is up to the GM.
Coventry may well have the same penalties.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
trooper6

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of spaceships, but more conventional technology up to anything able to carry a user across dimensions (in Sliders, this is cell phone sized!). Then again, it depends on what, if any, natural resources are on this world. There would almost have to be some (unless you send the prisoners there solely to die).

Oh, and cooperation from other inmates.
Resources for food and survival, and resources to mine steel are two different things. Say you are set on a planet with a bunch of islands like Hawaii. You can live there...but you aren't likely to be able to build machine guns.

Now you are talking about cross dimensional travel. If cross-dimensional travel is unknown to the world at large but the PCs can do it. Then you don't really need to worry about fleshing out the prison planet or the society that created it. Because PCs won't be there long. Just to pick up their MacGuffin punch some inmates and split.

If cross-dimensional travel is known about, then like Kyle Aaron says, the powers that be are going to find a place to put that prison planet where there isn't any jumping in or out.

What do you want the prison planet for? What sort of campaign? What sort of abilities? What is the point of the prison planet? Is it the campaign? Or only a side trip? Is this for a gritty game or a fantastical game? A "realistic" cinematic game? Or an over the top cinematic game? A game with dimension hopping? Or a game with none of that?

What are you looking for? What would you like from us? I mean, I was assuming a sort of "realistic" science fiction setting and you bringing up magic and dimension hopping--we weren't thinking on the same sheet of music at all. So what are you looking for from us, and what kind of game are you wanting to run with this prison planet?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #16
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Has anyone here ever designed a parallel world for their campaign that was used solely to keep prisoners?
Sort of. I adapted "The Hole" from Pyramid #1 into an oubliette that collected whatever was expelled from other places and times, as a kind of p-trap in the dimensional sewer on the way to eventual annihilation. It was used as a prison by some greater power that set up enigmatic sentinels to watch over it and retrieve anything that managed to escape.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
Rowan

Quote:
Yrth is a Skerry, Ragi. Apparently it's like a roach motel, you can check in.. but yew can't check out. Unless you go through a 'whole' lot of trouble.

But Coventry is supposed to be the 'prison' world. I think it runs just fine, though they say it's got it's problems.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
Ego Archive

by the description* I always assumed that it was the place that Rogue Jumpers are sent. You know those that profit at the expense of indigenous peoples (as in creating slave factories), or those that try to set themselves up as a ruler, using advanced technology. I just assume that there is a collection of thriving criminal organizations that are doing cross parallel racketeering, Slave trade, Swagmen and whatnot. These people are too knowledgeable about the mechanics of traveling to house them on an occupied parallel, and so Coventry was set up to handle those sorts. Of course once it's established, there is no reason that the mandate couldn't have been expanded to encompass additional prisoners.

*Coventry: An alternate world maintained by the
Infinity Patrol as a prison for those – both
Homeliners and outtimers – who Know Too Much.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive View Post
by the description* I always assumed that it was the place that Rogue Jumpers are sent. You know those that profit at the expense of indigenous peoples (as in creating slave factories), or those that try to set themselves up as a ruler, using advanced technology. I just assume that there is a collection of thriving criminal organizations that are doing cross parallel racketeering, Slave trade, Swagmen and whatnot. These people are too knowledgeable about the mechanics of traveling to house them on an occupied parallel, and so Coventry was set up to handle those sorts. Of course once it's established, there is no reason that the mandate couldn't have been expanded to encompass additional prisoners.

*Coventry: An alternate world maintained by the
Infinity Patrol as a prison for those – both
Homeliners and outtimers – who Know Too Much.
Also, if I remember right, there's some disaster refugees on Coventry, too -- people who are appropriately grateful to Infinity and will warn them if the real prisoners start plotting something.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Also, if I remember right, there's some disaster refugees on Coventry, too -- people who are appropriately grateful to Infinity and will warn them if the real prisoners start plotting something.
As Coventry is a "closed" timeline, with no way out of it, how would the refugees contact Infinity? Furthermore, how would ISWAT get back out after the job is done?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds