Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Randyman

Default Re: Dixie and TL-191

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Well Rasputin was born in 1869, thus making him 70 at the start of WWII. Given how darn hard the bugger was to kill I could see him living to a ripe old age.

I figure when the Communist uprising occurred a portion of the Royal family was killed and the rest fled, perhaps with Rasputin's help. Rasputin could then recruit a little known Orthodox priest from Georgia into his sordid world of mysticism and deceit. Where-upon the two, master and apprentice, would quickly become the real power behind the Russian throne. Of course the parallels between another little known story of an evil master and apprentice relationship are a bit obvious, but I'm wringing my hands just thinking about the nastiness these two could rain down upon the PCs.

Thanks for the idea.

Benjamin
And thank you for selling me on it...

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
lazlo_woodbine

muhahaHAHAHAHAHA! It's alive! It's ALIVE!
lazlo_woodbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
marvin

Yes, my Turn-Every-Threat-I-Post-To-Evilinator is working perfectly!!

Wait what is that? The rumble of tanks! Curse you Patton the Panzer Commander!!

Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Yes, my Turn-Every-Threat-I-Post-To-Evilinator is working perfectly!!

Wait what is that? The rumble of tanks! Curse you Patton the Panzer Commander!!

Benjamin
what a doofenschmertz! ;)

And aren't you a little to young to be masterminding alternate time lines?
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
marvin

Why yes...yes I am. (Truth be told at 36 there are some members of my family who think I'm too old for "silly games.")

BOT: I'm going to simultaneously run the war as a table top strategy war game. I found a pretty good one for this in a back issue of the now out of print Command magazine. It's called Mason-Dixon and was in issue #35 if anyone's interested. It allows for scenarios in 1917, 1940 and 1995. Along with that are several fan based variants created just to simulate Turtledove's Great War and Return Engagement series from his so called Timeline-191, Southern Victory books.

So as of right now I'm really not sure how the war will go and I'm devising my own variant to take in to account the differences between Turtledove's world and my own home brew. If any of you are familiar with strategy gaming some pointers would help.

Thank you
Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Kymage

Oh yes, Mason Dixon, I know the game well. I remember when I got the magazine (I was a subscriber) and reading the rules. I actually have the cyberboard module for MD (Allowing me to play the game through email). I would be curious as to how your war goes.

Quote:
Why yes...yes I am. (Truth be told at 36 there are some members of my family who think I'm too old for "silly games.")

BOT: I'm going to simultaneously run the war as a table top strategy war game. I found a pretty good one for this in a back issue of the now out of print Command magazine. It's called Mason-Dixon and was in issue #35 if anyone's interested. It allows for scenarios in 1917, 1940 and 1995. Along with that are several fan based variants created just to simulate Turtledove's Great War and Return Engagement series from his so called Timeline-191, Southern Victory books.

So as of right now I'm really not sure how the war will go and I'm devising my own variant to take in to account the differences between Turtledove's world and my own home brew. If any of you are familiar with strategy gaming some pointers would help.

Thank you
Benjamin
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Dave_67

I've read just about the entire series - still need to borrow the last two books from my friend. I myself prefer the lynch point in Turtledove's first novel of the series, where the secret plans wrapped around three cigars did NOT fall into Union hands. The AE:Dixie premise sounds a bit convoluted for my taste.

(Just like I prefer the lynch point in Fatherland - and yes, the book is much better BTW - rather than in AE:Reich-5.)

And I don't know who posted this http://www.othertimelines.com/ in another thread, but I found it very useful for AH ideas. (Although it obviously hasn't been updated for some time, and there are a few conectivity issues - just keep clicking the 'refresh' button and it'll eventually work.)
Dave_67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds