Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #61
David Johnston

Default Re: Converting popular settings to Infinite Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyderman
If anyone else is wondering where this came from like I did, a little research pointed me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...ndred_Kingdoms

Sounds like fun idea for a world to drop an unexpected party into. Of course, If I were to run it locally in my own campaign here in Norway, I'd localize the idea somewhat and call it "Askeladden or Asbjørnsen-Moe.
Well the part of the world you arrive in will mirror Earth's folk tales from that area. For example, if you showed up in China you'd run into Taoist magicians baffling the authorities, and concubines daughters with freakishly small feet sent by their ancestors to street festivals where they meet the handsome new governer but have to run away leaving a shoe behind. In Fairy Godmother, the setting appears to be in south Germany with a Cinderella and a brother-sister pair of serial killers who go around baking old women in their own ovens, but in One Good Knight, the setting is Greece and they're offering up a princess named Andromeda to be eaten by a monster.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #62
ardashir

Hmm, while it's not popular with everyone, what about 'Furry Pirates' as a new Infinite World? It's got a history almost exactly like Homeline Earth in the late 17th - early 18th centuries AD... provided one ignores the ritual magic and the fact that there are no humans, but dozens of other sentient species based on animals (basically, everything more highly developed than amphibians -- reptiles, birds, and mammals -- has a sentient and humanlike species that developed from it, alongside their still nonsentient animal 'kin').

It feels like it would make for a great Weird Parallel, especially if you put it in Quantum 3 or 4 and allowed first contact to be made by worldjumpers or magical world-travelers from Merlin-1. Even worse, the Infinity Patrol finds out that Merlin-1 has crossworld travel when they meet them here in some ruler's dungeon...

I do wonder what it would be called, though. Aesop-2 or the like? (Maybe 'Aesop' is the generic Infinity Patrol name for worlds with sentient nonhumans based on 'normal' animals?)
ardashir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #63
ardashir

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif View Post
Howard-1 [GURPS Conan], ca.10,000 B.C.

Current Affairs

In the Hyborian Age, a man with a sword and a strong will can become a King.

Divergence Point

Unknown divergence in deep time or more probably reality quakes that altered continental outlines.

Major Civilizations

Hyborian (multi-polar), Khari (empire with rivals), Khari successors (mutlipolar), Black Kingdoms (multi-polar), Shemite (multi-polar).

Great Powers

Aquilonia (feudal dictatorship, CR3), Nemedia (feudal dictatorship, CR4), Koth (dictatorship, CR4); Stygia (theocracy, CR5); Hyrkania (dictatorship, CR3), Khitai (feudal dictatorships, CR3);

Worldline Data

TL: 3
Mana Level: normal with variations
Quantum: 4
Infinity Class: p3
Centrum Zone:inaccessible

Notes: Another fantasy setting that would probably blow up with unrestricted access. It might work better if Howard-1 had minuses on skills to
enter, rather than leave like Yrth. Since the Conan stories are source of many character archetypes, Howard-1 might be a good place for a character to come from. I put it in Q4, since Q4 is traditionally a quantum for weird realities.
Or you could always have a worldjumper or quantum conveyor get dragged there unexpectedly when some Hyborian sorceror casts his Planar Summons at the exact wrong moment.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #64
ardashir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Interesting idea with Howard 1. Robert Howard is one of my favorite authors and it could easily be used to explain his mental issues. Perhaps he was a dispossessed inhabitant of Howard 1 (named after him of course) and he took his stories from his own dimension. Perhaps Almuric (half finished story about a dispossessed man sent to a new planet) was a clue to his true life included as his form of a suicide note.
Actually, with Howard's obsession with reincarnation, I'd argue that he had uncontrolled and untrained mental powers that allowed him to peek into the minds of people (his counterparts? Most of hs characters have a great many similarities) in other dimensions.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #65
Biker Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Mobius [Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic] Current year unclear, but believed to be in distant future, through star chart analysis.

Current Affairs: A ragtag band of animal humanoid freedom fighters and their allies, fight against the tyranny of Dr Robotnik's Eggman Empire.

Great Powers:
The Eggman Empire (Dictatorship, CR 6); Kingdom of Knothole (Dictatorship transiting to Representative Democracy, CR 4); Angel Island (Representative Democracy, CR 3); United Federation (Representative Democracy, CR 4)

Worldline Data:
TL: 8, with pockets of lower and higher tech levels, varying from region to region. Eggman Empire's TL is 9 bordering on 10, while the Kingdom of Mercia seems stuck at TL3.
Mana Level: Normal.
Quantum: 6 Infinity Class: R4
Centrum: Red

A carefully monitored Research world, Mobius is Infinity's first encounter of a far future version of Earth, albeit one that has actually suffered a serious setback in it's development. It also appears to be part of a Skerry of worlds connected through a dimensional highway which the natives appropriatly called the "Cosmic Interstate". Infinity and Centrum agents infiltrating the United Federation have agreed to a Truce of sorts, recognizing the Eggman Empire as a serious potential threat to all worlds, should Dr Robotnik acquire Infinity/Centrum Parachronics technology (Especially since it has come to light that Robotnik is in fact from another Mobius himself).
I'd expand upon that a bit, including some unusual factors and recent events.

Robotnik's empire has since broken up/been destroyed in Endgame (issues 47-50)

There appear to be Parallels to a VAST number of worlds IW has listed, implying that it's physically (by Jump Tunnel) connected to SEVERAL quanta.

I know I'm forgetting some stuff that needed to be put here... just can't recall what.
Biker Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #66
Voltron64

How about the world of Code Geass?

That place would definitely be getting a Closed rating, not to mention a little visit from ISWAT. ;)
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds