Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Terquem

Default Using Cardboard Heroes

I am trying to decide if buying the PDF cardboard heroes and hex bases (the ones advertised for Dungeon Adventures) is a good idea for adding to my new TFT:ITL games, but I don't know if I understand how they would work together.

Can you print the Cardboard Heroes on heavy paper, fold over the base (doubled) and they will fit in the bases?

Or do you need to find a way to print them on heavy card stock like the type that is used in Dungeon Adventures?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Using Cardboard Heroes

Advantage of the minifigs is that I can change weapons turn by turn.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Terquem

Oh, sure, Legos are great. I bought all the Cardboard Heroes back in the eighties, folded glued. I still have them in boxes.

But I want them to be a bit larger, a bit thicker. And be on plastic hex bases.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
Shostak

Carboard heroes are an economical alternative to minis, and they are fun to play with. An advantage over counters is that it is very clear which way they are facing. Counters come out ahead when you have an HTH pile.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Can you print the Cardboard Heroes on heavy paper, fold over the base (doubled) and they will fit in the bases?

Or do you need to find a way to print them on heavy card stock like the type that is used in Dungeon Adventures?
It really depends on the thickness of the paper/card stock. If it's too thin for the base to hold you can just put a little masking tape over the bottom edge and it should fit nice and snug.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
hcobb

ISTR either a penny or a dime stuck between folded over paper to hold the printout in the stand.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ISTR either a penny or a dime stuck between folded over paper to hold the printout in the stand.
Good idea. I just realized, after reading this, that I have a lot of little red disks I was saving (I think they came from an old bingo set) that would work for this I'm sure
Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Still hoping SJG comes around to producing a premium Cardboard Heroes set using the same size and template as the Paizo 'pawns' product line (which I already use extensively in my TFT games).
Old 03-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Skarg

I've remained happy with original-style TFT counters.

The Cardboard Hero art is good for making TFT counters - I just make it the right size and glue a printout (or in the olden days, photocopy) onto cardboard.

I have used and made Cardboard Heroes as such on 1" hexes and they work well there for GURPS where prone bodies span two hexes. They should work for TFT on 1.5" hexes (or 1" hexes if there aren't too many bodies).

The problem with standing figures (cardboard or lead or plastic) is they don't work very well for body piles, HTH, or riding horses.

They also tend to be more effort than counters. I'd usually rather have more counters and more variety of counters more easily made and stored, than fewer deluxe counters or miniatures.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
ParadoxGames

What I do is mount things on matte board. Awesome results.