Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 AM   #61
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II

I vaguely remember an article's author notes involving magical homes and spells centered around them. It might be possible to modify those in place of the hugely expensive but limited use power to make it more difficult for the rare jumper to enter one's domain.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #62
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I vaguely remember an article's author notes involving magical homes and spells centered around them. It might be possible to modify those in place of the hugely expensive but limited use power to make it more difficult for the rare jumper to enter one's domain.
Any idea which article that is?
Jumper is the appropriate power for most of this as it is how you would go from one world to the next. That getaway power should be pretty expensive too so I am ok on that.
The enhancements, even based on a huge power like that typically dont cost too much either. Access Regulation is 25 points and Larger Size is just 10 points a level.
All doable for the kinds of beings who would have these powers.
I suppose you could buy the power on a Patron (Sentient Dimension) even if it doesn't go anywhere. However for really small dimensions I might go with Payload as the base power. I think I will build the option for my sea turtle race and see how it goes.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #63
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sorcery is interesting, I really do not like Modular Abilities too much as I think they are overused as the "GoTo" for things. However here the implementation is more a side effect then a primary ability as they ae mostly a place holder for more powerful powers.
That pretty much covers my intentions, yes. I suppose it's ironic that the "primary" ability will actually be used the least, but it works out well that way.

Quote:
I dont like the name though. Sorcery to me is more spirit and witchcraft related but that is a bias of childhood reading more then reality.
Because of the influence of D&D, many gamers now subscribe to the dichotomy of "wizards cast a lot of spells with effort, sorcerers cast a few spells with ease." While my unfavorable feelings toward that system are a matter of record, I decided that it was best to go with the flow in this case, since even among the GURPS community "magic as powers" tended to be given the nickname "sorcery" as a nod to that dichotomy.

(That said, the name is the easiest thing to change of any system. Go for it!)

Quote:
The Domain article is nice too, though really really pricey. I think I would have liked to see a variant based on Payload.
I could see that being an interesting take as well. However, I think you may be underestimating how pricey that will end up being if you want anything more than a closet.

Quote:
I think you're thinking of "Safe as Houses," from Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy II. It had rules for thresholds and such.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #64
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post

(That said, the name is the easiest thing to change of any system. Go for it!)

I could see that being an interesting take as well. However, I think you may be underestimating how pricey that will end up being if you want anything more than a closet.
Yeah, though changing the name will confuse people so I will probably stick with it, and though I abandoned D&D long before that came out even I have heard of it. I even read the article and figured that was the reason for the name LOL
So the power of Symbols wins over tradition.

Your right on Payload, it did not take long to realize that even on Jumper the extra points for Access Regulation and and Extra Size did not represent a huge increase in cost.
On the other hand Payload might be reasonable for world gods like Ymir :)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #65
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The Domain article is nice too, though really really pricey. I think I would have liked to see a variant based on Payload. The Domain limitation is even cannon for that at -50% from GURPS Biotech for living ships.
I tried this approach - it ended up getting to expensive at higher levels and too cheap at lower levels. That's why I used Status as a guideline and Jumper instead. It IS constantly - but when you get into larger domains...not so much. Besides, it is a world...that you own and are essentially the god of. I don't think 100 character points is too expensive.

Quote:
At its base, I don't see why a personal domain isn't just one more world one can jump to.
All the cool stuff is additional abilities you have when there, and the implied ability to jump to it and back from anywhere else.
Really, it is, I just rebuilt and repackaged the Jumper advantage into a more friendly and math convenient way. Why should you have a jillion abilities for a single trait? No, better to put it all in a single package and go from there.

Quote:
That is as PK has said, Safe as Houses and the Designer's Notes are here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #66
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I think you're thinking of "Safe as Houses," from Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy II. It had rules for thresholds and such.
Oh my. It looks like I never bought the issue, merely read the author's notes in Ravens And Pennies.
Blast it. That was one of the issues I wanted to buy back when I had a little money.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #67
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Really, it is, I just rebuilt and repackaged the Jumper advantage into a more friendly and math convenient way. Why should you have a jillion abilities for a single trait? No, better to put it all in a single package and go from there.

Oh good. I'm always a little nervous critiquing Gurps articles afraid I'm missing something obvious. I know how well thought out they are and the strictness of those in charge of choosing which ones to publish.

But that whole concept was always one of my favorites for a Super named Pockets. I don't read comics, so I'm sure it's probably been done to death.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #68
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Oh good. I'm always a little nervous critiquing Gurps articles afraid I'm missing something obvious. I know how well thought out they are and the strictness of those in charge of choosing which ones to publish.
I rarely do anything without thinking it out in just about every conceivable way - though I do miss things. What's more I almost always extensively playtest and peer review any material I put out there, which is one of the reasons I get so annoying when errors are found. It may not look it, but every article I write goes through two to four weeks of playtesting and peer review and even more in alpha-testing. Sometimes, I don't have that luxury, but most articles have had about 30+ man hours of work put into them. That's my process at least - I don't know about other authors.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #69
Flyndaran
Untagged

And I'm not the only one that appreciates it. :)
Articles are always well written and edited even if I either disagree with the exact rules interpretation or am disinterested in the subject matter.

Tags
infinite worlds, pyramid 3/63, pyramid issues