Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #41
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: New Ninja rules

It isn't implausible that Ninja EW has operational scale effects that are outside the scope of the tactical game.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #42
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
That was purely "fluff" to explain how the NAC units got so close to a critical defense node, and to explain why all units had to use the same entry hex - to do so they would have been violating the stacking rules, if nothing else.

The entrance hex indicates the point at which "normal game rules" are in effect; prior to that narrative convention applies.
Sounds good. We had some rules from the first NINJA draft that used a umbrella area and I really liked the concept...for precisely how such a umbrella would be used by friendlies like in your Scenario.

Drew, is this a final draft of the NINJA, or is there any room for kicking further ideas around for it beyond what is here officially? This NINJA has a cost of 150+...assuming it costs that much with it's current abilities, it suggests officially leaving room for kicking ideas around further based off this NINJA. Stuff in the 151+ range.

I'll keep speculative ideas for the NINJA outside of this thread, in a thread dedicated to FanMade NINJA concepts, and keep this thread exclusively discussing this draft of the NINJA and it's current rules.

I'd like to start up a new NINJA Thread for such things, only this will be much more concise rules and concepts, ect. Now that we have what appears to be a final base NINJA.
It would be a FanMade "use them if you like them, ignore them if you don't" FanMade NINJA rules repository.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #43
wolf90

This is the final draft and to be considered "official".

That is not to say that there won't be scenario-specific abilities that might show up; just that those "tricks" will not be found on the "generic" Ninja outside of a designated scenario.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

That is not to say that there won't be scenario-specific abilities that might show up; just that those "tricks" will not be found on the "generic" Ninja outside of a designated scenario.

D.
I actually think this is the best route to go with the various tricks. It keeps things simple, something that's been an Ogre/GEV hallmark, as well as adding a little something special to each scenario, especially if the specific trick is determined randomly before each game. It keeps one player guessing as to exactly what he's up against.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #45
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

D.
Thanks Drew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
I actually think this is the best route to go with the various tricks. It keeps things simple, something that's been an Ogre/GEV hallmark, as well as adding a little something special to each scenario, especially if the specific trick is determined randomly before each game. It keeps one player guessing as to exactly what he's up against.
It's a beautiful thing. :)

You could have a full range of optional choices which Player knows what about the NINJA available tailored to the specific Scenario:

1) Randomly determined, and only the NINJA Player knows the Trick(s).
2) Randomly determined and both Players know the Trick(s).
3) Chosen by the NINJA Player and only they know the Trick(s).
4) Chosen by the NINJA Player and both Players know the Trick(s).

For example, a player may want to be purposely disadvantaged as a handicap if they are the more experienced Player
and chose to not know the NINJAs Trick(s) for the Scenario. Or, the Scenario may call for one Player to be disadvantaged.
Or, the Players are bored and just want a pleasant (or unpleasant) surprise depending on who knows what!
And, what about the NINJA with a malfunctioning Descartes Package, that has the NINJA Player NOT knowing what their NINJA Trick(s) are until used?
Lots of possibilities for different uses, but only 4 NINJA Trick(s) Knowledge choices, unless counting the last sneaky one.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 02-20-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote