Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 AM   #521
Tsuru-Sennin

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Possibly off-topic here, but I just got done watching the first two movies in the X-Men Trilogy, and was wondering if anyone had statted out Rogue's power. Also, there's another X-Man from the comics with a similar power, Calvin Rankin, aka Mimic, who automatically duplicates the powers of any mutant he's within a certain radius; has anyone done his powers?
Rogues power would be something like this:

Leech 3 (Steal FP & HP +50%; Contact agent -30%; Touch-based -20%; Always On -20%; Link +10%) [30]

and

Neutralize (Cosmic, Affects All Sources +300%; Power Theft +200%; Always On -20%; Contact Agent -30%; Touch-based -20%; Linked +10%) [270]

So that comes up quite nicely at 300 points. As Rogue is one of the quite powerful mutants, I'd rank her around 750 character points. That would leave you 450 points to purchase all those abilities she permanently drained from Ms. Marvel.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #522
Gurps Fan

Analyze Powers (+65%):
Detect (All Supernatural Powers; Accessibility, Must specify one target and then scan, -20%; Analyzing, +100%; Costs Fatigue, 1 FP, -5%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Takes Recharge, 5 seconds, -10%; Vision-Based, -20%) [50].

Notes: Assesses what kind of power the target possesses on a successful IQ roll (at the range penalty). You can use this ability as a zero-time free action, but each attempt costs 1 FP and you must wait 5 seconds until recharge is complete. When using this ability, you must pick one specific "target" within your field of view -- you can sense whether John is a mage and how powerful his magic is, but you can't tell by one attempt who of John, Paul, George and Ringo is a mage. 50 points.

Adapted from this.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #523
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
Analyze Powers (+65%):
Detect (All Supernatural Powers; Accessibility, Must specify one target and then scan, -20%; Analyzing, +100%; Costs Fatigue, 1 FP, -5%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Takes Recharge, 5 seconds, -10%; Vision-Based, -20%) [50].
Nice, though, costs fatigue would be -10% for one point on that ability. Assuming it gives you the info in one shot and only lasts one second. Maybe tack on a level of reliable to counter the extra -5% for the fatigue? I dunno man. Stupid 5%s...
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #524
Fabricati

Hoild up; I need to modif it a little bitty bit.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #525
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricati
Hoild up; I need to modif it a little bitty bit.
While you're modifying it, I should ask whether or not Draconic is one of those dreaded... dun dun dun... Power Modifiers?

Requires Magic Words, -10% or Requires gestures, -10%, are both cross-genre and perfectly legal for this project.

EDIT: Erm. And I really need to point out that modifiers on Alternate Form only modify the base 15 points and not the cost of the AF... I was fooled into thinking this, too.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #526
Fabricati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
While you're modifying it, I should ask whether or not Draconic is one of those dreaded... dun dun dun... Power Modifiers?

Requires Magic Words, -10% or Requires gestures, -10%, are both cross-genre and perfectly legal for this project.

EDIT: Erm. And I really need to point out that modifiers on Alternate Form only modify the base 15 points and not the cost of the AF... I was fooled into thinking this, too.
... Damn. Well, there goes those points.

*tosses design out the window* But! I can present something else!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #527
Fabricati

Taking the Weight of the World

Obscure 5 (Detect(Dragons), Defensive +50%, Stealthy +100%) [25]

Notes: Are you a dragon? Need to hole up for a while without giving away your position to dowsers? Well, then, this is the advantage for you! Simply sqwitch it on, and anyone who can sense dragons (note, this does not prevent scrying) can't sense you. The Detect can be changed to reflect exactly what you are- Detect (Mages) or Detect (Golems) works, too!

Total: [25]
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #528
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Nice, though, costs fatigue would be -10% for one point on that ability. Assuming it gives you the info in one shot and only lasts one second.
I'm inclined to think so, too, but Costs Fatigue is officially a -5% per FP limitation for abilities that constitute discrete, instantaneous "uses" (like Innate Attack or Detect). For "ongoing" effects like Flight or Insubstantiality, Costs Fatigue becomes -5% per FP per minute and -10% per FP per second.

I personally think Costs Fatigue, -5% is underpriced. I don't see why the designer has defined Costs Fatigue in such a way. Costs Fatigue should be worth -10% for "each discrete use", just as it's worth -10% for each second's expenditure.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #529
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
I'm inclined to think so, too, but Costs Fatigue is officially a -5% per FP limitation for abilities that constitute discrete, instantaneous "uses" (like Innate Attack or Detect). For "ongoing" effects like Flight or Insubstantiality, Costs Fatigue becomes -5% per FP per minute and -10% per FP per second.

I personally think Costs Fatigue, -5% is underpriced. I don't see why the designer has defined Costs Fatigue in such a way. Costs Fatigue should be worth -10% for "each discrete use", just as it's worth -10% for each second's expenditure.
Good point. The part that cracks me up is that if the detect was on for a second, it would be worth -10%, but, if you define it as being an instant shot of information, then it becomes a -5%. Which is the same cost that it would be to have the detect active for a minute! Does that make any sense to anyone? Sigh, anyway, I rant enough about the costs fatigue limitation as is.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #530
Fnordianslip

Emergency Power Boost [50] Points
Energy Reserve (Insert Power Here): 16 [20]
Emergencies Only, -30%
Slow Recharge, -20%
Stunts/Extra Effort Only, -10%

Extra Will: 15 [30]
Emergencies Only, -30%
Only for Power Stunts/Extra Effort, -30%

When the chips are down, you can tap reserves of strength to boost your powers immensely. This only applies if your game allows extra effort for powers. In emergency situations, you can double your effective power level with an unmodified will roll and a point of energy reserve. Also, it becomes much easier to improvise power uses, add temporary enhancements, etc.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers