Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Anders

Default Imbuement and Extended Duration

Normally the Imbuement advantage lasts for 1 second. Would you allow for Extended Duration on it to make it last longer?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Imbuement and Extended Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Normally the Imbuement advantage lasts for 1 second.
No, it doesn't. It lasts for one attack roll, or defence roll. See "Using Imbuement Skills" and "Defensive Use" on p. 5 of Power-Ups 1: Imbuements.

I don't think Extended Duration is viable anyway: the rules on adding it to attacks (p. B105) are pretty specific, and Imbuement falls outside them. It would enable you to skip lots of rolls against a DX/VH or IQ/VH skill (or multiple skills) and as an occasional Imbuement user, that seems Too Good.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Plane

Imbuements are skills so I think you'd need to use the 'skills as advantages' rules that were in one of the Pyramids.

Since "attack" is not a time quantity, I think you'd need to buy Persistent to get base 10 and then adjust up or down with decreased/extended duration to have your weapon enchanted for multiple attacks.

Another option might be to buy Rapid Fire for it, because then you get uses equal to ROF.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
zoncxs

No, you can not for the same reason that you can not add extended duration on Magery to make a spell last longer.

Imbeuments enhance or modify an attack, they are not attacks themselves.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
No, you can not for the same reason that you can not add extended duration on Magery to make a spell last longer.

Imbeuments enhance or modify an attack, they are not attacks themselves.
I think the idea is "the duration a successful roll imparts the effect on my attacks for" as if they were Afflictions.

As highlighted previously they aren't afflictions with 1-second durations though.

Feel like I'm reaching for some kind of Transient ability example out there for comparison but drawing blank.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
zoncxs

The problem is in thinking it is an ability with a duration, Its not. Its temporary modifiers added to an attack.

If you want an imbuement skill to always apply to an attack then do what Plane suggested. Turn it into an advantage, add cosmic no die roll required, and reduced FP cost. As long as the effective skill roll is 3+ it succeeds automatically and cost 0 FP. Now all you need is an attack that can be maintained indefinitely.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancements, extended duration, imbuement