Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
BraselC5048

Default Alternate History Idea - Hitler dies in early 1936 - then what?

For an alternate history idea, what would have happened if Hitler was assassinated around late 1935-36 or so? After remilitarizing the rhineland, but before annexing Austria. I suppose the Nazi party would have picked a new leader, perhaps Goring? I guess rearmament would have continued on all sides, but what would the new Nazi leader's foreign policy be, and how long until ww2 started, if at all?

Basically I want a campaign with mature start-of-ww2 technology, such as the great piston engined propeller driven airliners (on the drawing board before the US was in the war) continuing to develop along their historical path, only 3 years sooner. Because I'm a fanboy of them.

The Germans have managed to get all their Panzer I's out of service, and are just about finished with Panzer II's, while the most common tank is the Panzer III F though G, with the Panzer IV E being common as well. Nearly the entire army is motorized, as they finally have built enough trucks. The British are slowly replacing Hurricane's with early mark Spitfires, but finally armed with the cannons they wanted. If it comes to war, the Chain Home radars are completely in place, and slowly being upgraded with more sophisticated versions. (Rather then the already-out-of-date late 30's designs they had, since they had the foresight to realize that to have an working system, when they needed it, then they needed to start now, so what they had now would have to be good enough, since otherwise there wouldn't be a complete system at all when it would be needed.)

Everywhere else, the US Navy's ultimate source of power is it's powerful battleline, (joined by a new fast division of the brand new South Dakota's, but no Essex's or Iowa's, as there is no two ocean navy act, and therefore they have not been ordered), the Great Depression is slowly ending, antibiotics are in use, gangsters, the mob, the mafia and the Feds' use tommy guns when it gets to that point, or occasionally a BAR, the police are using newfangled radio cars in major cities, and the great streamliners cross the United States.

Labor unions didn't get the benefits they historically did in the New Deal, and adventures could find themselves caught up in a major strike, with goon squads on both sides, while in the Balkans fascists and commies are beating each other up in increasingly more organized street gangs, which are slowly developing into paramilitary organizations, depending on the place. (More sources of trouble - great for campaign possibilities!)

The actual date is in the mid to late 40's, not that it matters in the slightest. Great for Pulp!

Author appeal? YES.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, nazis, pulp, settings, ww2