Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2020, 03:11 AM   #7
Icelander

Default Re: Living Out of State While In the Reserve or National Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Do reservists have to apply for permission to live and work out of state from their duty station, as National Guardsmen must do?

Specifically, for a member of the USMC Reserve, but I expect I'll need to make a ruling on this for numerous reservists of US Air Force, Army, Navy and possibly even USCG.
I've found an answer for this.

The Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES) / a.k.a. United States Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR) doesn't care what state you are in. Reservists are expected to live within 150 miles from their duty stations, but you can sign a waiver if you live further away.

I'm not sure what the effects of signing this waiver are, but for the unit I was specifically checking (3rd FORECON), at least, they just accepted the waiver without any comment. That was for a reservist who was currently living in New York City and flies in monthly to Mobile, AL. Note that if he had not been a Recon Marine (MOS 0321), there would have been many other closer duty stations for him and getting the waiver approved might not have been as easy.

In any case, that's good news for my NPCs, as they can more easily continue to serve as whatever high-speed, low-drag Oorah type of Marine (and by analogy, hopefully other branches) they were on active duty, even if no Reserve duty stations with that kind of mission are near their civilian jobs, as long as they are willing to travel the distance monthly.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-19-2020 at 03:18 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military, national guard, reserve, usa