Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 AM   #10
Bazial

Default Re: [Thaumatology] Thoughts on a magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You can adapt standard magic to Path/Book without that much effort by having each College being a separate Book. If you are using Effect Shaping, the Prerequisite Count becomes the ritual default penalty. If you are using Energy Accumulation, the Prerequisite Count plus 5 becomes the Energy Requirement. You would have to modify some spells, but it should be workable.

It becomes tricky in the case of Enchantments, but I would suggest transforming the energy requirement into (hours of ritual preparation/[5Śmages]) for Quick and Dirty Enchantment (with the normal penalties and the minimum effective skill 15) or (days of ritual preparation) for Slow and Sure (with the normal restrictions and the minimum effective skill 15). In the case of magical items that allow the casting of a spell, they instead allow the casting of the ritual at skill of the item. You would have to modify some enchantments, but it could be workable.
That... Might actually be what I'm looking for. Energy Accumulation certain fits the traditional conception of ritualistic magic better. I'll run some numbers and look into it, but it could very much work! Thanks!

Two questions off the top of my head: What roles could grimoires/spellbooks play in this? One of the conceits of the setting is that spells are a kind of jumbled and lost art, and gaining new spells is a big thing. Second (and this is probably answered if I read Thaumatology closer), how about magical modifiers in this?

EDIT: Speaking of the same, would final cost than be calculated using the methods with normal Path/Book magic?

Last edited by Bazial; 01-27-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
Bazial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, thaumatology