Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
LeiraHoward

Default Does the maximum number of players increase with expansions?

After reading the FAQ, I tried searching the forums for this, but could not find an answer. I'm SURE it has to have been answered before, but I can't find it. (Sorry!)

My question: "Does the maximum number of players increase with expansions?"

The original Munchkin game states that it is for up to 6 players. However, once you add a few expansion packs, does the maximum increase? I would think that when you have added more classes and races and cards that you could fit a few more players. Is there official answer/guide to determine the proper number of players for the number of expansions you have? Or is it still 6 players maximum?

Thank you for your help!
LeiraHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Does the maximum number of players increase with expansions?

We don't recommend going past seven players, even with expansions. The game takes too long.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Brandonson112

Munchkin is best with around 5 people. I've played with 8 people before but it got really boring between turns cause of the time it takes to get back to you.
Brandonson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
DeluxeFlame

Very true. I've had games were everyone cheered because there was no monster on the kick nor a looking for trouble. thus a Quick turn.

There were 5 people playing but we were playing wrong. When we died to a monster we would go back to level one and lose everything. 5 hour game was played, I came here to fix up our game. Now we can play two to three games every meet up.
-> We're about to grab our first expansion.
Should we just go with the second expansion, or does anyone have a suggestion?
DeluxeFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Brandonson112

I bought them in order and its been working out pretty well. Actually at first our games were very long but the more expansions we added they started to get shorter, not by much but a little shorter.
Brandonson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
StormCrow42

Once you get past 6 people, you really should just play in 2 groups. If you have enough expansions, you might even be able to just split the game in half and have each group use half of each deck. Alternately, of course, get another version of Munchkin, then you've got enough for 12 players and more variety.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Mister Ed

Yeah, the 6-player limit comes more from time considerations than deck size. With more than 6-players, it a.) takes an annoyingly long time for any one person's turn to come around, and b.) makes ANYBODY winning the game problematic and time-consuming, because once people get within striking distance of winning there are too many others all working to keep them from winning. It is far less likely, when facing 6 or 7 opponents, that NOBODY will have something to stop you from winning the combat than when you are facing only 2-4 opponents. I even find playing with 6 players to be kind of pushing it.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
tremorlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, the 6-player limit comes more from time considerations than deck size. With more than 6-players, it a.) takes an annoyingly long time for any one person's turn to come around, and b.) makes ANYBODY winning the game problematic and time-consuming, because once people get within striking distance of winning there are too many others all working to keep them from winning. It is far less likely, when facing 6 or 7 opponents, that NOBODY will have something to stop you from winning the combat than when you are facing only 2-4 opponents. I even find playing with 6 players to be kind of pushing it.
Not only that but we had a 7 player game last night and because it took so long between turns others were talking to each other and generally not paying attention. That made each turn take even longer.

I suppose we could have been ultra harsh and just counted 3,2,1 and took treasure without anybody playing anything but that would have just caused a whole new set of problems.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
LeiraHoward

Thanks for the replies. :) That helps!
LeiraHoward is offline   Reply With Quote