Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Tedious Treads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It says this in-game. Whenever you target treads the text in the firing dialog box says the game always takes all tread attacks as individual attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I would suggest that for someone who isn't a long-time Ogre player, this might immediately make sense. But for someone who's played a long time, the implication to me is that you can only attack treads with one unit at a time. I'll email Auroch with a suggestion that they clarify the statement to make it clear that you can select multiple attackers and it will roll them all in series...
I can't find a way that wording is intuitive. Even if that's in the game, it doesn't say "keep adding attackers, and then the game will fire them in turn at the treads individually". It also doesn't tell you anything about _how_ it does it. For example, it doesn't tell you the order in which they are fired (which matters, especially if all the treads are wiped out). The text it displays also shows that it will improve odds (it won't), which further muddies the issue.

Bottom line, how treads are attacked is not clear.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
Mack_JB

When I play as PE, and fire at the Ogre, it runs the attacks in the order that I clicked on the attacker to make the attack. It seems when the AI plays the PE forces, they attack from weakest (INF) to strongest (HOW).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I can't find a way that wording is intuitive. Even if that's in the game, it doesn't say "keep adding attackers, and then the game will fire them in turn at the treads individually". It also doesn't tell you anything about _how_ it does it. For example, it doesn't tell you the order in which they are fired (which matters, especially if all the treads are wiped out). The text it displays also shows that it will improve odds (it won't), which further muddies the issue.

Bottom line, how treads are attacked is not clear.
Once I get a chance to sit down and look at it, I'll try to come up with better verbiage. In any event, while I'll definitely use it for things like "I'm making individual attacks with these 6 stacks of INF," I'll probably stick to manually attacking in general just so that I get my order of attacks exactly the way I want them :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
When I play as PE, and fire at the Ogre, it runs the attacks in the order that I clicked on the attacker to make the attack. It seems when the AI plays the PE forces, they attack from weakest (INF) to strongest (HOW).
That could be how the AI orders things.

If that's true for all attacks as opposed to just tread attacks it says unfortunate things about the AI design though. (Actually, even for tread attacks it might not be ideal but it's usually going to be less of a problem.)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Once I get a chance to sit down and look at it, I'll try to come up with better verbiage. In any event, while I'll definitely use it for things like "I'm making individual attacks with these 6 stacks of INF," I'll probably stick to manually attacking in general just so that I get my order of attacks exactly the way I want them :)
It's not that I can't tell what it does (it most definitely shoots them in order of selection), what I mean by "it's not clear" is nothing tells you that's what it's doing. Something that integral should not have to be divined through play.

In most cases, I don't care; but in some cases, it's critical.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
It's not that I can't tell what it does (it most definitely shoots them in order of selection), what I mean by "it's not clear" is nothing tells you that's what it's doing. Something that integral should not have to be divined through play.

In most cases, I don't care; but in some cases, it's critical.
Yup - I totally get that. Hopefully once the bugfix push slows down they will have time to put together some formal (or even informal :)) documentation, especially on the less intuitive things like this. I also think it will help with the less experienced Ogre players, since they won't intuitively be able to pick up on what's happening like us grognards :)

In any event, I'm still thrilled with the overall package and I know they'll get there eventually.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote