Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
rkbrown419

Default Re: Half Elf outlaw from the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
A Cornucopia item could be useful for pulling out ammo, though I'm fuzzy on the details, such as how long the ammo would last once it's loaded into a lever-action repeater.
Cornucopia's energy cost is based on the cost of the ammo. So the energy requirements for a bullet from two tech levels ahead will be 200 times the dollar cost of that bullet at TL 6. The spell cost is 50X the dollar cost which will be 4X the list cost due to being in a lower TL setting. That means a TL 6 .38 Revolver from Basic Set will require 133 energy per round and they must be fired within one minute of loading them into the gun because they vanish one minute after leaving the casters hand. To fully load the gun would be 798 energy. To go this route requires a spell caster with a huge energy reserve or a huge power stone.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
Culture20

Presumably, the cornucopia item was created in the future. If the game moved to a TL0 world, would the energy cost to create the cornucopia item make it suddenly unusable since the ammo is now priceless?

Also note, the energy cost for the cornucopie spell is to enchant the item. You don’t pay 100 fatigue for every arrow you draw from the quiver. The ammo-creation is free.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Presumably, the cornucopia item was created in the future.
That doesn't matter at chargen.

However, the GM might cut him some slack seeing as he's paying the TL 6 UBC to have 'far-future' items as it is.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Goldgardian

to clarify, the intent was yes, to have the skills to create guns normally. the idea being that in the future he worked for a small company that made firearms, but it went under so he ended up becoming a bandit and outlaw. and that magic is relatively commonplace, and used for industry (a-la Eberron) the idea was use magic to make guns quickly, and without proper tools or materials. I liked what I could do with transform object, I was just hoping I could find something that'd be a little longer lasting
Goldgardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That doesn't matter at chargen.

However, the GM might cut him some slack seeing as he's paying the TL 6 UBC to have 'far-future' items as it is.
If you don't cut him the slack the character becomes unplayable, a S&W Model 29 goes from costing $800 to $3,200 and at the same time starting cash goes from $10,000 to $1,000, at least one of these figures has to give.

Sorry, one of the irons I've got in the fire is rules for Timelost for DF, so these sorts of problems come up.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Goldgardian

RAW the starting cash doesn't increase. I was planning on starting with the TL 5 revolver, and then using magic and skills to make tools to build better guns amd ammo for myself
Goldgardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:15 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
If you don't cut him the slack the character becomes unplayable, a S&W Model 29 goes from costing $800 to $3,200 and at the same time starting cash goes from $10,000 to $1,000, at least one of these figures has to give.
Unplayable?

$3,500 is 7 points of Signature Gear.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
David Johnston2

Given that he can churn out an unlimited number of futuristic weapons to sell there's no reason why he wouldn't be fantastically wealthy.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote