Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
AmesJainchill

Default TK-assisted punching and Limited Use

I have two questions about things, both from a player last night.

The Limited Use limitation specifies 5-10 uses per day. Is this randomly determined (he figured to use d6+4) or chosen by the player? I, as the Gm had thought it was chosen, but it's really up to interpretation. Just curious here.

He also wanted a way to add to his punching damage using his Telekinesis (TK 14).

Now, you could make it a Rapid Strike, you could make it an alternate ability of TK, providing an Affliction of extra ST..am I missing another way to do this?

The character doesn't really have the skill to do a Rapid Strike and have a decent chance to hit (w/o an AoA (Determined)), so I suppose the Affliction would be the best idea.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: TK-assisted punching and Limited Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill
The Limited Use limitation specifies 5-10 uses per day. Is this randomly determined (he figured to use d6+4) or chosen by the player? I, as the Gm had thought it was chosen, but it's really up to interpretation.
It's chosen. More specifically, it's chosen by the GM. If you want to let the player create an attack with Limited Uses (10), that's fine, but the range is there so that things like a 6-shot revolver built into your arm can be modeled as well.

Quote:
He also wanted a way to add to his punching damage using his Telekinesis (TK 14).

Now, you could make it a Rapid Strike, you could make it an alternate ability of TK, providing an Affliction of extra ST
The Alternate Ability sounds like the way to do it, except you don't need an Affliction. Just make it Striking ST, with some limitations so that it only applies to his arms, and only to punches (unless it would logically also improve a swung weapon or something).
Rapid Strike wouldn't work anyway, since Rapid Strike lets you make two attacks with one Attack maneuver, and Telekinesis requires you to take a Concentrate maneuver. They're incompatible.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
The Limited Use limitation specifies 5-10 uses per day. Is this randomly determined (he figured to use d6+4) or chosen by the player? I, as the Gm had thought it was chosen, but it's really up to interpretation.
It is chosen during character creation. Minmaxers will of course want to get the most uses for the limitation value, but GMs are free to encourage less efficient concepts as they see fit.
Quote:

Now, you could make it a Rapid Strike, you could make it an alternate ability of TK, providing an Affliction of extra ST..am I missing another way to do this?
Probably a bunch of ways you could do this... extra Striking ST with the same Power mod, possibly as an AltAb, possibly with limitations restricting it to certain attacks, is what first came to my mind.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
extra Striking ST with the same Power mod, possibly as an AltAb,
Actually, it occurs to me that Alt Ability wouldn't be valid unless the character also has Compartmentalized Mind. If he doesn't, then both powers can't be used simultaneously anyway, and AA wouldn't be a limitation. So, yeah. Go with NAS' suggestion of Striking ST with the same power modifier, I'd say.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
It is chosen during character creation. Minmaxers will of course want to get the most uses for the limitation value, but GMs are free to encourage less efficient concepts as they see fit.
Ah. Well, in this case, I don't really care which number it is, I left it up to the player.

Quote:
Probably a bunch of ways you could do this...
Exactly my words last night.

Quote:
...extra Striking ST with the same Power mod, possibly as an AltAb, possibly with limitations restricting it to certain attacks, is what first came to my mind.
I think I'll suggest that to him. Extra striking ST.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Warlockco

Quote:
Sounds like someone was watching Push.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
transmetahuman

Quote:
The Limited Use limitation specifies 5-10 uses per day. Is this randomly determined (he figured to use d6+4) or chosen by the player? I, as the Gm had thought it was chosen, but it's really up to interpretation. Just curious here.
As everyone else has said, it's normally chosen - but it occurs to me that 1d+4 uses per day would be a perfectly valid way to build an ability, if the GM and player agree. I'd assume the character knows each day how many he gets, since the characters who get a set number know, but I don't think not knowing would justify any extra on the limitation. It's certainly less useful to not know how many you'll have, but you're really not significantly worse off than the guy who knows he only has 5 uses. You might waste a turn that you wouldn't otherwise have wasted, once per day, but that's not really worth -5% IMO.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing rules somewhere for "TK-assisted Strength". Might be in Psionics, 3e. It might cover what you're looking for.

I also once upon a decade devised a TK technique I called 'TK body glove'. I'll see if I can find that...
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing rules somewhere for "TK-assisted Strength". Might be in Psionics, 3e. It might cover what you're looking for.

I also once upon a decade devised a TK technique I called 'TK body glove'. I'll see if I can find that...
Well, it's not in Psionics 3e after all. Were did I see that? Erg! this is frustrating ...
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco
Sounds like someone was watching Push.
Now that you mention it, he did mention seeing the movie a few weeks ago...

Of course, you could say Superboy's 'tactile telekinesis" is just as valid an inspiration for something like this...

Tags
extra attack, telekinetic parry