Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #31
ladue

Default Re: Ogre Minis Revision Issue: Mark VII

The problem is that with it starting at M2, it only has 8 weapons that can catch a GEV. This essentially makes the secondaries worthless or nearly so. Knock off the 4 missile launchers and the 4 main batteries, and just a few GEV's turn it in scrap metal. I don't mind it starting at M2. Quite frankly it makes sense to be a bit slow, but it should then concentrate on long range weapons. Give it six missile racks with 24 missiles; 6 external missiles; 8 main batteries; and 6 secondaries (primarily to help kill that first wave of units trying to knock everything out). Anything going as slowly as M2 has to be truly scary to be justified.

The best justification for this beast at M2 is as the first thing out of the ocean when you're trying to invade a defended location. The speed will be much less of an issue if it's trying to smash bunkers and absorb as much damage as they can throw out.
ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
ladue

That turns out as 294 vp's with 24 ap's. Call it 300 points and you're all set.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #33
Toltrin

Well, as Steve Jackson said, the Mark VII was never built for reasons of the risk/benefit analysis. Make it too small and one hit takes it out and make it too big and one hit takes it out. The difference is : is the missile taking out the Ogre a small nuke or a HUGE one? Huge ones cost a lot, maybe less than the huge tank...

Last edited by Toltrin; 06-21-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #34
Toltrin

This is probably what it would look like if it were ever made.
OGRE Mark VII
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #35
DSumner

After reading over the revised Mk. VII stats, I'm still not sold on the idea of Howies on an Ogre. But if that's what they're going with, how about a smaller version of what's posted? Say something with an Attack 3, Range 14"? (basically a Light Howitzer modified to be mounted on the chassis). Or possibly an Ogre Mortar? Attack 3, Range 10", Defense 3?

And I also came up with what I think is a viable Mk. VII design, and I'd really like to hear what you guys think of it. Instead of it using standard Ogre AP batteries, how about Point Defense (PD) Batteries?

Ogre Point Defense Battery (PD) - Attack Strength 1, Range 1 (2”), Defense 1. PD batteries act as standard AP batteries, but are capable of engaging missiles and smart shells. Any attack on a Mk. VII, at a range greater than 1", is -1 to hit. The only exceptions being Lasers and Laser Towers. PD weapons are also capable of engaging Cruise Missiles. For every (4) four functional PD guns, the Mk. VII receives a +1 when rolling to defend against a cruise missile attack.

Mk. VII Ares

8 External Msl 0000 0000
8 MsL Racks 0000 0000
24 Internal Missiles 000000 000000 000000 000000
4 MB 0000 (Attack 4, Range 6", Defense 4)
8 SB 0000 0000 (Attack 3, Range 4", Defense 3)
24 PD 000000 000000 000000 000000
96 Tread Units: Movement starts at 4"
000000 000000
000000 000000 (Movement drops to 3")
000000 000000
000000 000000 (movement drops to 2")
000000 000000
000000 000000 (movement drops to 1")
000000 000000
000000 000000 (movement drops to 0")

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"

Last edited by DSumner; 10-11-2008 at 03:30 AM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #36
ladue

A 16 missile initial volley??? If this beast was buildable, it would have crushed anything in it's path. I think this is just *too* big a step up from the Mark VI. 6 racks and 4 to 6 external missiles would be more in line. I still think the secondaries are wasted on a tank this slow.

On the other hand, the PD's are intriguing.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #37
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladue
A 16 missile initial volley??? If this beast was buildable, it would have crushed anything in it's path. I think this is just *too* big a step up from the Mark VI. 6 racks and 4 to 6 external missiles would be more in line.
As it stands now, the Mk. VII is described as being designed as an "Ogre destroyer", with the ability to launch 12 missiles at a pop. Plus it carries it carries missile reloads, and a drone to load them. But, I can see your point, and my version may need to be downgraded a tad. How about 6 external missiles, 6 Missile Racks, and 24 internal missiles?

Another possibility I considered is that instead of having a drone reload the external missiles, it's equipped with a mechanical arm, similar to the one carried on a Vulcan, that would allow to reload its own missiles, from quick change storage pods. Sound feasible?

Quote:
I still think the secondaries are wasted on a tank this slow.
How about letting the Mk. VII's secondaries fire at the same range as its MB? Something similar to the Nihon SB.

Quote:
On the other hand, the PD's are intriguing.
Thanks, anyone want to take a shot at playtesting them? I'd like to see how they fair.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
KhyberJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin
This is probably what it would look like if it were ever made.
OGRE Mark VII
There seems to be too many weapons (secondaries) on the front hull. This would limit the firing arcs of all of them. That is why I spread them out and mounted some on the rear half when I made my model - http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/p...re%20MK%20VII/

Joe
Old 10-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #39
ladue

6 external and 6 racks are fine by me. It's plenty big enough to be truly frightening, but not vastly larger than the last one.

A capacity to "self" reload the external racks is fine, but I'd keep it outside of combat conditions or else they've just become more missile racks. Perhaps 1 missile a turn while the Ogre is not moving or being shot at.

Extended range secondaries would largely satisfy my problem with the speed + secondary issue.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:34 AM   #40
DSumner

Quote:
A capacity to "self" reload the external racks is fine, but I'd keep it outside of combat conditions or else they've just become more missile racks. Perhaps 1 missile a turn while the Ogre is not moving or being shot at.
Sounds reasonable, but I'd allow two missiles per turn.