Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
ClayDowling

Default Re: [Horror] Sketchy Setting & Some Monsters

How about Nineveh? A massive historical city, is was at one point in the Bible mentioned as an Evil city. They repented of their sin, but then fell. They are supposedly the vast plain of ruins west of modern Mosul.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling
How about Nineveh? A massive historical city, is was at one point in the Bible mentioned as an Evil city. They repented of their sin, but then fell. They are supposedly the vast plain of ruins west of modern Mosul.
If we're going Biblical, than is this dreamland not the very land of Nod in which Cain settled?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
If we're going Biblical, than is this dreamland not the very land of Nod in which Cain settled?
I was kinda expecting that. Even considered saying it myself.

But now I get the images of those stealthy cultists coming out of nowhere, and strange obelisks shining with deadly light, and a mad immortal visionary, cursed by YHWH to live forever and bring death behind them all. Sorry for messing up the idea.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I was kinda expecting that. Even considered saying it myself.

But now I get the images of those stealthy cultists coming out of nowhere, and strange obelisks shining with deadly light, and a mad immortal visionary, cursed by YHWH to live forever and bring death behind them all. Sorry for messing up the idea.
Or he could just be a curmudgeonly old coot who likes to tell stories about mysteries to unsuspecting (dreaming?) teenagers... and periodically, rekill his brother, who favors secrets more.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Tinman

This looks interesting. At this juncture I have nothing to add except my support and interest. You always have good horror posts, Max. Thanks.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
I'd personally leave that up to individual variation, so you could have one who was gleeful about it, one who is so very sorry that this is necessary, and philosophical debates between the two.
This is definitely how I run similar beings in my games, and it's quite fun. ESPECIALLY the "I'm so very sorry" types. It throws in a creep factor that just doesn't exist otherwise. There's little more frightening than a mutilated human crying and apologizing for torturing you "for your own good".
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Seriously, this True Faith business is quite problematic, now that I think about it. I think I'll change it to "God (or whatever) helps those that help themselves". No divine intervention, no miracles, no repelling the unclean spirits by the force of your convictions. Only rusty iron pipes, meat cleavers and pump-action shotguns will exorcise these demons. Maybe. Aw, hell, I don't know. I'll get back to all of you when I know what sort of cosmology this setting takes place in. Until then consider True Faith dubious. I'll delete it from the templates.
It doesn't have to be about God. For example, when the Buddha had reached enlightenment and was being challenged by Lord Mara, the god of illusions, Mara caused all the armies of Hell to line the horizons and fire flaming arrows. The Buddha smiled, and as the arrows approached him, they turned to flower petals. As a devout Buddhist, I would firmly expect to be able to perform the Bhūmisparśa mudrā - ie, point to the ground with my right index finger while saying "The Earth is my witness" - and repel any number of demons. And, dammit, it's about time that worked in a modern horror movie!

What I'm saying is that True Faith, though it should be tailored to each religion, really doesn't have to rely on the existence of an external power.

Last edited by tantric; 12-03-2008 at 04:08 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schreck
Oh, all right, I stole the whole thing. Actually, you were being far too kind saying "vaguely". There is nothing vaguely Kult-inspired by this. Everything I have thought up so far is the most shameful plagiarizing of Kult, Silent Hill, Jacob's Ladder and Hellraiser. At least I only steal from the best (with the possible exception of Hellraiser; like I stated earlier, great idea, not-so-great movies).
You may proceed. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric
[snip] What I'm saying is that True Faith, though it should be tailored to each religion, really doesn't have to rely on the existence of an external power.
Maybe not an anthromorphized external power, but it does imply the existence of spiritual forces in the setting that IMHO need to be well-defined in the GM's head up front if they have meaningful IC effects.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #19
Opellulo

Continuing the pillage upon Kult i think you can borrow some of its great ideas to work out True Faith: GOD (or whatever is in charge) is dead (or has left) so any form of religious belief is strong only because "believing in something" works as an anchor preventing you to shift in reality towards Sodom.

So any form of "strong belief" could save you, not only religious one but also more mundane "faiths" like: Patriotism, Family, Science, Greater Good and so on. IIRC in Kult having a code of honor is an advantage and not a disvantage becuse it "eases" your way to see the world.

Another "village ready to pillage" is an old underrated PC game: "Omikron: the Nomad Soul", it has a wonderful story of daemons, split realities, superior powers and... David Bowie!
Opellulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
hari

About that question about groups of humans along the lines of Delta Green and others, I'm thinking you want people practiced in lucid dreaming. I'm thinking something along the lines of an order of monks with an old history. They would have good intentions that unfortunately led to tragedies that have resulted in dark secrets and great regrets.

I like the idea of doing some work to detail the various different people and groups of people in the normal base world that have been affected by the horror world. The good old normal happy world would make a great backdrop to fit just that tiny bit of horror into. But I like your idea of making it to fit with any kind of world even more. Maybe there could be a balance between the two?

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, creatures, horror, monsters, templates